Lets see your Edge custom tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets see your Edge custom tunes

I've been searching the forum for some ideas of a good place to start with the custom tunes for the Edge but haven't found much out there. I know that a tune is proprietary to the truck and that the canned tune will always work, but when it comes to fine tuning you truck by creating a custom tune with the Edge I would like to see what all of you are doing to get those 0-60 times and good gas mileage...

Here's what I've found to smoke the tires on my truck...

Plain Jane K&N drop in filter (AF1 is on order)
93 Octane Fuel
Edge Evo EEF-2400
Level 2 custom tune
+1.52 WOT Fuel
+2.0 timing advance (I've found more low end torque with 2 rather than 3)
speed limiter set at 200mph (I hate speed limiters)
shift firmness 1-2@+12, 2-3@+12, 3-4@+6
I've been averaging about 18.2 MPG with this tune and I'll be trying 89 octane (minus the timing advance) on my next fill up.
I have never put it on a dyno, but judging by the seat of my pants method, it really gets up and goes (and scares my wife)

As for Level 3... I don't get that throw you back in the seat feeling like I do with Level 2. Level 3 is great for long distance driving and passing, but not around town and I've never been able to smoke the tires with it...Or I just haven't found the right tune yet.

So, lets see what custom tunes you came up with!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PhqChevys
I've been searching the forum for some ideas of a good place to start with the custom tunes for the Edge but haven't found much out there. I know that a tune is proprietary to the truck and that the canned tune will always work, but when it comes to fine tuning you truck by creating a custom tune with the Edge I would like to see what all of you are doing to get those 0-60 times and good gas mileage...

93 Octane Fuel
Edge Evo EEF-2400
Level 2 custom tune
+1.52 WOT Fuel
I've been averaging about 18.2 MPG with this tune and I'll be trying 89 octane (minus the timing advance) on my next fill up.
I have never put it on a dyno, but judging by the seat of my pants method, it really gets up and goes (and scares my wife)

As for Level 3... I don't get that throw you back in the seat feeling like I do with Level 2. Level 3 is great for long distance driving and passing, but not around town and I've never been able to smoke the tires with it...Or I just haven't found the right tune yet.

You didn't mention shift points. If you haven't already, try 1>2=5400, 2>3=5400 and 3>4=4700.

Be careful with line pressure. Also be aware of too much advance with some fuels. You can't always detect detonation, but the pcm will still pull timing. You can log that to check.

3" AF1, right?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know why you need to tune it up to smoke the tires. I just power brake mine and I can sit there all afternoon.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PhqChevys

93 Octane Fuel
Edge Evo EEF-2400
Level 2 custom tune
+1.52 WOT Fuel

Level 3 should give you a better time in the 1/4 if that is what you are looking for. Does not give out on the top end, pulls harder at higher rpms. Levl 2 is better for stop and go driving, better low end torque as you said.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:30 AM
97-03 custom edge tune?

Can anyone post some safe level 2 and 3 custom tunes for the egde? Im more worried about the transmission being weaker than the 2004 and up models.Right now i have level two with only shift firmness uped 2 on 1-2 and up 1 on 2-3.I have never messed with anything else yet as im owrried to mess things up.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:00 AM
I have been using this tune (in signature) for over a year with no problems.

This was written from the guy at Edge who wrote the tune.
Here is the link...........or read below:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...31#post1926131

Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
In regards to the base tuning, we have spent literally hundreds of hours on the dyno tuning and tweaking and we feel like we have a really solid, really safe calibration set. For a stock or slightly modified (i.e. AFE, Cat-Back exhaust, etc.) the tuning should work very well. I think most of our Beta testers would agree as well. Now would I put a unit on a heavily modified or supercharged truck? No. But then again, that’s not what we designed the unit for. And as someone who has spent years doing custom tuning, I know there is a place for it. However, in most situations, a “canned” calibration can fit most people’s needs. If you don’t believe me, check the dyno plot in my gallery.

I admit that it is extremely difficult to strike that balance of being able to give the end users some flexibility and NOT giving them enough to hang themselves. That has been the biggest obstacle with custom tuning software. It usually comes down to either being able to inform the user well enough that he or she can make intelligent choices when making calibration modifications or stripping away the usability to where it is pointless to pursue. I think we have a pretty good balance of features with reasonable limits. The important thing is to provide a solid tuning foundation to work with.

Anyway, I hope this answers your questions. I know it’s a bit long but I have never been known for short posts! Hey, you have to have SOMETHING to read while sitting on the john....

Oh, and if you haven’t figured it out, I am the calibration engineer at Edge… but I am sure you guessed that.

Take care (and stay warm).

Bill

Last edited by Silverfish; 04-24-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

You didn't mention shift points. If you haven't already, try 1>2=5400, 2>3=5400 and 3>4=4700.

Be careful with line pressure. Also be aware of too much advance with some fuels. You can't always detect detonation, but the pcm will still pull timing. You can log that to check.

3" AF1, right?

Yes, the 3" AF1. I've read too many posts about the 3.5" without the mass air flow calibrations in the tune. I've been rather experimental with all the setting in the custom tune section. I have found that if I put my WOT Fuel above +1.56, I'll get a few good pop's out the exhaust and that running rich smell if I rev it while in neutral. I took that as that it may be too much WOT Fuel. I haven't been changing any of the shift points or rev limiters due to I don't know what setting would be safe and not blow my engine or transmission.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by rb4123
I don't know why you need to tune it up to smoke the tires. I just power brake mine and I can sit there all afternoon.
Ya that works too, but I'm going for the just stab it to the floor and smoke them for about 20 feet. Plus, doesn't power breaking it kill your transmission???

Old 04-26-2007, 04:17 PM
BSL
Originally Posted by bigmark
Can anyone post some safe level 2 and 3 custom tunes for the egde? Im more worried about the transmission being weaker than the 2004 and up models.Right now i have level two with only shift firmness uped 2 on 1-2 and up 1 on 2-3.I have never messed with anything else yet as im owrried to mess things up.
I'm wondering too, I'm gonna go fool around with some settings tonight, I'll let you know what I'm gonna use

Old 04-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by BSL
I'm wondering too, I'm gonna go fool around with some settings tonight, I'll let you know what I'm gonna use
BSL,take it easy on the shift firmness,I jacked it up and i kept hittin the friggin rev limiter on the 1-2 shift.Try like +4 to start on the 1-2 you may have to raise your limiter
Let us know

Old 04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
My settings for level 2 and level 3 are identical with the exception that I bump timing up for level 3 (+1.5) as i run 93 octane.

WOT Shift points: 5250 for 1-2 and 2-3 4800 for 3-4
Max rpms: 5400
WOT Fuel: +1.6
Max Speed: 110
Shift pressure: +12 for all shifts
Adjust for tires and gears.

have been running for 15,000 miles with no problems

Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=PhqChevys]I've been searching the forum for some ideas of a good place to start with the custom tunes for the Edge but haven't found much out there. I know that a tune is proprietary to the truck and that the canned tune will always work, but when it comes to fine tuning you truck by creating a custom tune with the Edge I would like to see what all of you are doing to get those 0-60 times and good gas mileage...

93 Octane Fuel
Edge Evo EEF-2400
Level 2 custom tune
+1.52 WOT Fuel
[QUOTE]

I tried this setup today and my truck ran like absolute crap. It felt like it was going to die when I hit the gas. Switched back to regular level 3 and it ran fine.

Weird.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:15 PM
BSL
Originally Posted by Kevin24
BSL,take it easy on the shift firmness,I jacked it up and i kept hittin the friggin rev limiter on the 1-2 shift.Try like +4 to start on the 1-2 you may have to raise your limiter
Let us know
Ok here's what I finally settled on, after limited testing (just driving around town) I've gone with level 2 (never actually tried level 3 yet, I'm never on the open road and can't really justify the extra $.30/gal for a few min of fun)
WOT shift 1-2=5300, 2-3=5300, 3-4=4800
Firmness 1-2=+8, 2-3=+8, 3-4=+5
Rev Lim 5450
Speed 110
Gears 3.55
Tires 2445 (measured, way off what the manual said for 265/70R17)
Timing +1.5 (I'm at 6000 ft running 87 oct, so you may not want to use this)
WOT 1.6

This appears to be a pretty driveable tune, although I may bump down the WOT shift for the 1-3 points, it seems to scream a little too much . Other than that measure your actual tire circumfrence, I was surprised how far off the manual was (even though only like 5%)

Old 04-26-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Edge custom setting tunes are just like Blue's tunes, except I am running only level 2 and run 93 octane and adjust the timing to match.

WOT Shift points: 5250 for 1-2 and 2-3 4800 for 3-4
Max rpms: 5400
WOT Fuel: +1.6
Max Speed: 110
Shift pressure: +12 for all shifts
Adjust for tires and gears.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

3" AF1, right?

What is the danger zone for line pressure???

Quick Reply: Lets see your Edge custom tunes