Will tuners void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will tuners void warranty?

I just called the ford dealer and he said that if i hookup a tuner or a chip it will void my warranty instantly He also said exhaust/CAI would be fine, however if they can relate a problem to the mod my warranty will void.
Just checking the truth with all the F150 wisdom here.
Thanks,

Old 10-22-2007, 02:07 PM
It is the dealers call. It is dealer specific, other dealers will say different.

They have the option to: as long as they can relate the problem to an aftermarket item.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 20SUPERCREW05
I just called the ford dealer and he said that if i hookup a tuner or a chip it will void my warranty instantly He also said exhaust/CAI would be fine, however if they can relate a problem to the mod my warranty will void.
Just checking the truth with all the F150 wisdom here.
Thanks,
simple mods dont make a differance unless they directly relate and they will work around the mods(ex: dealer had to change belt on old ranger that had K&N intake on it, he took it off, changed belt, and put back on never said a word)
there was a thread on this now i cant find it, that said the tuner doesnt void warranty, but is recommended put back to stock when you take it to dealer because they will try to fight it

Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM
The problem is this (right from the Ford website)...

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused
by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor
Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than
a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed
for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part
to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized
tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems
and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software
and performance ‘‘chips’’
Pay particular attention to the first line and the last line. "Damage caused by... performance-enhancing powertrain components or software
and performance ‘‘chips’’ "

Technically, they cannot arbitrarily void a vehicle's warranty by the presence of an aftermarket product. It does not prevent them, however, from entering your information into OASIS and next time you have a warranty claim they'll print out that you have modified your vehicle and then proceed to tell you where to stick the warranty. I know it's just semantics, but it in essence is voiding your warranty.

The reality is that there are dealers who are mod friendly and dealers who aren't. Get to know your dealer and what they will tolerate. Above all else, make sure that you completely remove any aftermarket products that would give a dealer any cause to give you grief. The sad thing is if the dealer would play fair, we wouldn't have to be so cautious when going in for service.

Anyway, that's the scoop.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the info, Have you guys ever heard of a dealer being able to tell if a tuner was hooked up? i heard that the presents of a tuner can be found when they plug your truck into the computer I would like to mod my truck cause it sounds like you guys are havin fun but i don't really wanna throw away my warranty.
Thanks,

Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
It is the dealers call. It is dealer specific, other dealers will say different.

They have the option to: as long as they can relate the problem to an aftermarket item.
Exactly. I mean look at my truck, my dealer still works on it.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:29 PM
again I refer everybody to the Magnuson Moss act which prohibits manufacturers from voiding a warranty unless they can PROVE the item caused the damage

I'm not saying it won't be a pain in the *** battle with a dealer

Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by 06darkstone
again I refer everybody to the Magnuson Moss act which prohibits manufacturers from voiding a warranty unless they can PROVE the item caused the damage
The Magnusson-Moss act refers to REPLACEMENT parts (filters, ball joints, timing gears), not to performance enhancing products. The dealer has to honor any warranty providing that the REPLACEMENT components are of reasonable quality.

The dealer has every right to void warranty coverage of a failed component or system if a power product was the primary cause of the failure for which warranty is being sought. You chip it, it melts a piston, the dealer shouldn't have to bite the bullet. But that should be it. It shouldn't affect the warranty remaining on the alternator, driver's window, or the back bumper. The dealer going in and voiding the ENTIRE vehicle warranty because of a chip, CAI, exhaust, etc. is just plain ridiculous not to mention unfair.

I have said before that the dealers should play fair. However, that also goes for the consumers. In the defense of the dealer, all too often somebody will push their vehicle too hard, break something, and then turn up at the dealer raising holy heck about how their truck broke and they don't know why. The dealers and manufacturers have eaten millions of dollars in warranty claims that are quite often fraudulent. So when the dealer gets all upset because of a modified truck, I can see their point. Again, denying warranty coverage on the failure is not where I have the problem... it snuffing the whole vehicle. I mean, c'mon... what does a chip have to do with why your wiper motor burned up? What does putting a tranny temp gauge or a pyrometer gauge in your truck have to do with ANYTHING? Yet, dealers have "voided" warranties for gauge installations. It's really a sad state of affairs and until people speak out against it it's not going to change.

For more information on Magnusson-Moss, see:

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=7253

and

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm

Hope this helps.

Bill

Last edited by ASEMechanic; 10-22-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Suspended
I'm glad someone else on this website actually understand how the Mag. works.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
The Magnusson-Moss act refers to REPLACEMENT parts (filters, ball joints, timing gears), not to performance enhancing products. The dealer has to honor any warranty providing that the REPLACEMENT components are of reasonable quality.

For more information on Magnusson-Moss, see:

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=7253

and

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm

Hope this helps.

Bill

If you read this, and I'm not a lawyer, it does not say "replacement part" it specifically says "aftermarket part" so please advise where your information was obtained

not looking for an argument but I was always told it was aftermarket parts and that is what the law specifically addresses

Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by 20SUPERCREW05
Thanks for the info, Have you guys ever heard of a dealer being able to tell if a tuner was hooked up? i heard that the presents of a tuner can be found when they plug your truck into the computer I would like to mod my truck cause it sounds like you guys are havin fun but i don't really wanna throw away my warranty.
Thanks,
I would like to know the answer to this question too. I was told that some dealers can tell. but i was aslo told that they cant tell.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Texasmade04f150
I would like to know the answer to this question too. I was told that some dealers can tell. but i was aslo told that they cant tell.
It's the dealer's with the techs that wave a wand and say, "eenie meenie chili beanie, the ECM is about to speak!", that ya gotta look out for..

Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 06darkstone
If you read this, and I'm not a lawyer, it does not say "replacement part" it specifically says "aftermarket part" so please advise where your information was obtained

not looking for an argument but I was always told it was aftermarket parts and that is what the law specifically addresses
Additional references... (Trying to find anything on the FTC site is miserable at best)

http://www.indianaconsumerlawgroup.c...y-1185043.html

Most specifically:
FTC Regulations Under The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act PART 700 > § 700.10 Section 102(c)

(a) Section 102(c) prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

(b) Under a limited warranty that provides only for replacement of defective parts and no portion of labor charges, section 102(c) prohibits a condition that the consumer use only service (labor) identified by the warrantor to install the replacement parts. A warrantor or his designated representative may not provide parts under the warranty in a manner which impedes or precludes the choice by the consumer of the person or business to perform necessary labor to install such parts.

(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, “This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized ‘ABC’ dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine ‘ABC’ parts,” and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102 (c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of “unauthorized” articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such “unauthorized” articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.
The law was designed to clearly identify and protect the consumer's right to a warranty of a product. Statute 700.10 was designed to further clarify that a manufacturer MAY NOT REQUIRE you to use ONLY their replacement parts or use ONLY their service facilities unless those parts or services are offered free of charge. The fact is (and it has been clearly stated in the Warranty Manual of most new vehicles), you chip it, you bought it... period! Last time I checked, vehicles didn't come with programmers or chips in the glove box so using one does not make it a replacement part.

For years people have been trying to twist the Magnuson-Moss act into something that will validate their right to sell products and proclaim that it doesn't void the vehicle's warranty. They obfuscate the facts behind the veil of the term "aftermarket", often knowing full well that the law is specifically referring to replacement parts. I could make an "aftermarket" 5th wheel hitch that could hold a 53' trailer, but when the axles snap and the frame is buckled should a manufacturer be forced to warranty the vehicle? If I lift my truck and put a set of 44"s on it and 3 months later my wheel bearings go out, is that the dealer's fault? Should they warranty it? C'mon, you know the answer... say it with me... "NO!"

Until people stand up and accept the responsibility for their actions when they modify a vehicle, the situation is not going to improve. Manufacturers are going to fight harder and harder to deny warranties and it is ultimately going ruin it for people who have legitimate complaints, and I know for a fact it already has.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a subject that needs to be clearly understood if we, as manufacturers and consumers of "non-replacement" aftermarket products, ever expect to get treated fairly by the automotive manufacturers and dealers.

Take care.

Bill

Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
Pay particular attention to the first line and the last line. "Damage caused by... performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips’’ "
First I'll say i agree with you 100% about the customers trying to screw the company alot of the times. I dont work in the auto industry but i do work in retail and people try to do whatever they can to get what they want. Like the information you posted says. They shouldnt have to do any warranty work if you...install a tune, dont know what your doing and lean it out, melt a piston. If the part you put on causes something to fail I would be talking to the company that made it and not your local ford dealer. Now if you install a K&N cold air kit and your rear diff blows, I would expect that to still be covered as the parts are unrelated.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by RdHammer
Now if you install a K&N cold air kit and your rear diff blows, I would expect that to still be covered as the parts are unrelated.
Precisely! You get a gold star for paying attention.

Quick Reply: Will tuners void warranty?