Edge Pod Painting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Pod Painting Questions

So I have the light beige interior on my truck, and the black Edge pod looks really bad, in my opinion.

I was wondering, what color should I paint it and where can In get ahold of the Manufacturer colored paints....

Im thinking either the Beige color of my dash, or the silver color of the accents on my dash....You know, the strips running verticle down the right and left hand sides.

Anyone got any pictures of what theyve done?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:16 AM
Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 AM
the dealer should be able to get the paint for you, it comes in a spray paint can.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 AM
The paint can from the dealer (small) is around $20.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Black Pearl

I've got the same color scheme as you do there, except mine is a KR so I have the darker leather...

Think Silver is the way to go, or the beige?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Try Duplicolor aerosol from Autozone,Advanced Auto,Pep Boysor,O'Reilley.
The KR color is Flint. Much cheaper then $20 from stealership.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM
$4.50 for a can from Advance is fine for a piece in the cab. Outside, where it is exposed to the elements different story. I cant see giving $20 for paint you will use @ 2 ounces of. I am pleased with the Silver, after it cured(I took this pic the day I painted it) it got a little lighter and matches better.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 AM
I prefer the beige as I think it goes better with the dash setup IMO.

I don't know what color code it is. I had my truck in a body shop and just asked them to come as close as they could. I think it's almost a perfect match.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Wow that beige color looks really good! Im gonna have to see about hitting up the dealer for the beige color

Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 PM
The tranny temp gauge is pretty cool too. If mine wasnt 4wd I would look into that? Do you tow alot?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by 2005lariatky
The tranny temp gauge is pretty cool too. If mine wasnt 4wd I would look into that? Do you tow alot?
Not really anymore. I used to when I first got it.

I'd say I tow once a month but only for about 50 miles. I never turn the light on the gauge at night anymore unless someone is wanting to see it.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by sysman_rick
Try Duplicolor aerosol from Autozone,Advanced Auto,Pep Boysor,O'Reilley.
The KR color is Flint. Much cheaper then $20 from stealership.
There's no Duplicolor match for the Dark Flint that's used in KRs (at least nothing I could find in Duplicolor catalogs).

I used a "Dark Charcoal" Duplicator spray and it looked OK. It needs a bit of brown to match properly, but it works for me. I took a picture of it, but, it doesn't really give you the real "picture" - the shine gets in the way. However, it looks better than "basic black".

- Jack

P.S. It's only paint - you can always repaint it any old color that suits you. Even baby barf green!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When I had my Edge I searched for months to find matching paint for the pod. On FX4's they have the same silver-grey that the lariats and KR's have. After months of searching, I finally went to an automotive paint supply shop so they could look it up and mix some for me. Turns out that particular color never had it's formula released by Ford (don't know why) so they had to custom mix a small batch for me by using a portable optical color scanner. Long story short, the optical scan was close, but they still had to tweak it a little. I can tell you he used silver, black, and tan to come up with the color I needed. Check the pics, judge for yourself.

As far as I know, the tan color is available from ford, along with both shades of grey used in XLT's, STX's, and XL's. You can also get the formula if you want to have some mixed. Other members have talked to edge and tried to get the paint they used in their ad, I never heard how that turned out. Others have tried using various import colors and have goten close.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 11-19-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Yours is a super match!

Mine's darker and more "silvery" - it doesn't have the brown tint that Ford uses. But, mine's not too objectionable. As I said, pictures don't really show what I'm talking about - in them it sort of looks "shiny black". That's why I didn't post any pics. But - it's not "dead black".

- Jack

Quick Reply: Edge Pod Painting Questions