Help Edge failed? Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Edge failed? Cold Weather

I've had my programmer for about 8 months now, and I am having problems since the Cold Weather has arrived here in Alberta.
I have an 05 FX4 5.4L, its set on level 2, anyway, since the cold weather has arrived it started to act up by not showing the display at first start then it would show the trucks HEX Code, so I would hit enter to get the display up again, now it will not show nothing and with the unit plugged in the instrument panel is not working and tells me to check gauges.
What should I do in this situation, unplug and bring in the house to warm up and remove any condensation that may be trapped, as well when reinstalling to I plug back in with ignition off or in the on position.
I hope that I am able to get this display up and running, what if I have to return to Stock, and not to mention thats what I like most about the unit.
Thanks for any help that is given

Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Unhappy

Maybe I should have proceeded to read a few threads prior to this post, I don't agree that the battery is losing its strength, as its -25'C here in Alberta the last few days and the truck turns over fine when starting in the mornings (not plugged in either)
I just wonder what people here up North have been doing to solve this problem, kind of a pain to bring in the house with ya every night.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Suspended
It doesnt matter if the truck turns over fine. The battery is working harder because of the colder temps. You should find the CCA(cold cranking amps) of the battery you have and go find an aftermarket one with more CCA. Ill try to look up some info. And yes taking the Edge inside every time would be a PITA but it would become routine after a while...Do you leave your cell phone outside all night??

Old 11-29-2007, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=JohnRMK]its set on level 2, anyway, since the cold weather has arrived it started to act up by not showing the display at first start then it would show the trucks HEX Code, so I would hit enter to get the display up again, now it will not show nothing and with the unit plugged in the instrument panel is not working and tells me to check gauges.

The Evolution needs around 9 volts to function properly. The truck usually only needs about 6 volts to start. Cold weather will definatly knock the volts down. When the voltage is below 9, this may cause the Evolution to not turn on, turn on but no display, or not do anything unless you unplug and reconnect to the OBDII port after the truck is started. I would check your batteries and make sure that you have enough voltage to supply to the Evolution.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Suspended
One way to check the battery would be to set Battery Voltage as a PID on the Edge. Does the Edge turn on if you just turn the key on an do not crank it??? If the Edge does come on check out the voltage before startup.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
i started the earlier thread about the same problem you are having. i went ahead and bought a new battery today. and i can tell you it totally fixed my problem. i didn't believe that it would but low and behold it did. the battery was turning the truck over and starting it up but it was very slow rolling over. it was using all the power to turn the truck on that there was not the power there to turn on the edge. i would be almost certain that it is a battery related issue.

Last edited by steady; 11-29-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Edge failed? Cold Weather