Xcal3 Troyer tune installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xcal3 Troyer tune installed

Heres my little input on the Troyer tune. I have a 2005 screw 4x4 3.73LS with a 5.4 and about 20k miles if that matters. I have 325-60-18 Nitto t/g. I also had the Edge which I sold. I have a S&B cai and Magnaflow si/so exhaust. This input is ONLY on the 87 performance tune. First to load the tune on the xcal takes a long time compared to the Edge but no big deal. I put on about 350 miles on the new tune. At start up you notice that the truck runs very smooth and the exhaust is a little louder. Right off the bat I notice the different shift patterns (rpms). This is where the stock tunes fall short, they just shift to early.(probably to save gas). Shift firmness is better and gets more agressive as you get into the throttle. (nice touch) With the Edge I set it at #6 and was happy with it. One thing with the Edge over the 1.5 years I had it I was always tweaking it. The custom tune is load and go. I could never spin my tires on dry pavement in stock tune, or Edge tune or Troyer tune. Yesterday I spun them about 20ft. (1'' of snow on ground ) At 1800 rpm`s there is no drone the intake sounds great at every rpm. The Edge and S&B at 1800rpm was horrible. But then again the Edge wasnt tune for an intake and exhaust. Mid range power is alright, its better then stock but this is where I want my power. The stock tune had no mid range power and when I hit the throttle the rpms would just climb and the truck would go no where. This is the whole reason I got a tuner and the reason I bought the Edge. I never planned on doing any performance mods to the truck. Well things change. Mid range to top end the truck really pulls nice. This is where the Edge fell short on the 87 tune but did great on the 91 tune. The truck on the highway is pretty smooth and likes to cruise but watch out because before you know it your at 80-90mph. The first tank ate the same amount of fuel as stock but I will keep an eye on this. The over all driveability is exellent and you can tell Troyer did his home work. Ford should work with Troyer and create a tune thats inbetween a 87 performance and tow tune and make it standard on all F150s. Also let me say that the whole staff at Troyer is very helpful and very pleasent to deal with. Great crew. I cant wait to try the 93 tune.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM

Glad to hear you are happy. I guess it'll be sometime January before I get mine tunes! I should just take the 3 hour drive down to Mike and see if I can convince him to speed it up!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Start driving.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 PM
3 hours away! You've gotta go bye.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:47 PM

If it meant that I'd get my tunes tomorrow, I'd be hittin' the road first thing! I will have to set the time for when they do there dyno day when most of you knuckle heads go!

Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
hey 05supercrew ,

Good to see you got your tunes finally. Just from reading your post you don't sound to over impressed. I was kinda worried about that running my edge until i get mine. Im sure there is a difference but im sure there pretty close performance wise. By that i mean you wont get the Wow factor running the edge and then going with custom tunes as apposed to running stock and getting the custom tunes.
I think as the time gets closer to when i get my tunes ill ween myself off the edge so as i don't feel disappointed in any way. Not that im saying your disappointed in yours.

When i spoke with Mike he said the edge makes only about 12 extra hp at the rear wheels where as his tune can make up to 25 hp depending on each truck.
Give it some time!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Irish FX4
hey 05supercrew ,

Good to see you got your tunes finally. Just from reading your post you don't sound to over impressed. I was kinda worried about that running my edge until i get mine. Im sure there is a difference but im sure there pretty close performance wise. By that i mean you wont get the Wow factor running the edge and then going with custom tunes as apposed to running stock and getting the custom tunes.
I think as the time gets closer to when i get my tunes ill ween myself off the edge so as i don't feel disappointed in any way. Not that im saying your disappointed in yours.

When i spoke with Mike he said the edge makes only about 12 extra hp at the rear wheels where as his tune can make up to 25 hp depending on each truck.
Give it some time!
You are correct, you wont be blown away but you will appiciate the custom tune. Your not going to really notice 10-15 hp difference. Its just the drivability that is so much better. With Troyers tune you dont realise your going fast because everything is so smooth. The 93 tune im sure will have more of that wow factor.

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hivoltagefx4
If it meant that I'd get my tunes tomorrow, I'd be hittin' the road first thing! I will have to set the time for when they do there dyno day when most of you knuckle heads go!
I let you in on a little secret, I got my tunes 1.5 weeks after I placed the order.
I ordered it in early feb and I went to the dyno day event 1.5 weeks later and Mike had my tunes ready and installed them along with my AF1 3.5" and tweaked it on the dyno.

Don't tell anybody

Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 PM

1.5 weeks! I doubt that I will be that lucky! I sent my sheets in right before Thanksgiving. I'm figuring sometime around January if I'm lucky. :o

Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 PM

If you have a free day during the week, just call them up and see if they can squeeze you in on your free day. You might actually get lucky, of course you will have to pay for the dyno time, but it's better than waiting.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
I let you in on a little secret, I got my tunes 1.5 weeks after I placed the order.
I ordered it in early feb and I went to the dyno day event 1.5 weeks later and Mike had my tunes ready and installed them along with my AF1 3.5" and tweaked it on the dyno.

Don't tell anybody
Nice truck, 07BlueFX4... i mean 05RedFX4.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
Nice truck, 07BlueFX4... i mean 05RedFX4.
Thx. I thought about changing my S/N when I traded the truck, but then I found out that changing your s/n is a big no-no, aparently it's against forum rules. So I just kept my old name.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by hivoltagefx4

I should just take the 3 hour drive down to Mike and see if I can convince him to speed it up!
While you're at it, see if you can talk to him about my tunes too.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Suspended
I have noticed a difference in my canned x3 tune. I have noticed, but was not wow'd. I wonder, if I should have waited for the custom tune? Irregardless, I am happy that I am not running Fords tune. At least with the canned, better throttle and passing. Happy that I did it. I dont think my canned tune is accounting for more air, and aftermarket exhaust. That is where I am hoping the Custom Tune really shows me what my truck is capable of.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by Irish FX4

Give it some time!
Give it some time for what?

Are you claiming the HP will incrase in due time?

Quick Reply: Xcal3 Troyer tune installed