Edge Evo and K&N

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evo and K&N

Howdy all
Spent some time searching, but nothing answers my question for my '03 with the 4.6.
I'm running the K&N 57FIPK, Flowmaster 50 series, and Edge evo (like everyone else it seems)
Any issues with this set up running lean? Lots of talk re. the 5.4, but nothing on the 4.6.
So far, i've put ~4500Km on this set up, Evo on level 2 mostly, but i put 2400Km on level 3. No codes, runs great. Cylinder head temp. according to the evo has always run 192-196, same with the coolant.
Thanks
Paul

Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM

One way of finding out is to touch the tips of your exhaust. They should be warm/on the slight hot side, but not blistering. Mine were blistering. Then again, I have the 5.4L I returned mine to stock quickly thereafter. The Edge doesn't seem to place nice with CAI's. It's more for a stock no mod truck than trucks with CAI's. I am now waiting on custom tunes from Troyer.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by hivoltagefx4
One way of finding out is to touch the tips of your exhaust. They should be warm/on the slight hot side, but not blistering. Mine were blistering. Then again, I have the 5.4L I returned mine to stock quickly thereafter. The Edge doesn't seem to place nice with CAI's. It's more for a stock no mod truck than trucks with CAI's. I am now waiting on custom tunes from Troyer.
i dont know how valid that is, im running troyers tunes right now and my exhaust tips still get blistering hot...

to the OP, for i while i had the K&N 57FIPK with flowmaster duals and the edge, i liked the combo except that the tranny shifted horribly, and also the CAI droned so bad. i switched from the edge to custom tuning and now the tranny feels like a million bucks and the CAI roars instead of drones.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't go wromg with TP tunes IMO; they're the best

Old 01-10-2008, 07:07 AM

Another thing to check would be the engine compartment. You will notice it hotter than normal. 05supercrew can vouch for this as well as he had a lean issue with his Edge. He had the same issues as me.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 AM
You can also pull some plugs and see what they look like. My exhaust was to the point I thought my truck was going to catch fire. After I got the Troyer tune the Exhaust and engine compartment cooled down drasticly.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

What kind of engine temps were you guys seeing? I have a CAI with my edge, currently set to stock, but I am getting Lean codes. Should I ditch the edge or the CAI??

Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by R1Jester
What kind of engine temps were you guys seeing? I have a CAI with my edge, currently set to stock, but I am getting Lean codes. Should I ditch the edge or the CAI??

Ditch the CAI for sure, The Edge provides much more power than any CAI.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 AM

Keep the CAI and get some custom tunes from Troyer! That's what the majority of the people on hear have done. Then again, you could always see if you could have your Edge custom tuned to your truck.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Custom Tuned Edge

Get ahold of Bill at Power Hungry Performance. I just got my Evolution tuned and performance is better and now I am not worried about running lean. I will get the AF checked when I can locate the best way to get it done without spending too much more money. I have been on a spending spree lately on my truck and am sworn to take a break. (Another story). He compensated for my Outlaw CAI and 3" Magnaflow cat back.

Another great part is I didn't have to make any adjustments with timing, shift points pressures etc.. Just load level 2 for tow or 3 for performance and it is set up for my truck. Only thing to change is the tire/gear combo. Another neat deal is my menu choices. I will post pics later.

What CAI do you have?

I will be doing a write up hopefully later today or tomorrow about first impressions. I loaded custom tunes late Tuesday afternoon.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by bangingd
Get ahold of Bill at Power Hungry Performance. I just got my Evolution tuned and performance is better and now I am not worried about running lean. I will get the AF checked when I can locate the best way to get it done without spending too much more money. I have been on a spending spree lately on my truck and am sworn to take a break. (Another story). He compensated for my Outlaw CAI and 3" Magnaflow cat back.

Another great part is I didn't have to make any adjustments with timing, shift points pressures etc.. Just load level 2 for tow or 3 for performance and it is set up for my truck. Only thing to change is the tire/gear combo. Another neat deal is my menu choices. I will post pics later.

What CAI do you have?

I will be doing a write up hopefully later today or tomorrow about first impressions. I loaded custom tunes late Tuesday afternoon.

cost, if you are allowed to say?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by hivoltagefx4
Keep the CAI and get some custom tunes from Troyer! That's what the majority of the people on hear have done. Then again, you could always see if you could have your Edge custom tuned to your truck.
Thats what I did

Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by beckerjs
cost, if you are allowed to say?
Not sure if the board allows the discussion of pricing. Give Bill a call and discuss. It is no secret or special deal for me. His pricing is very reasonable. He is also a member on the board his user name is ASEMECHANIC. I would PM but I need 100 posts.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Anyone having lean issues on '03 and earlier 5.4's or 4.6's?
Seems all the problems are on the "newer" engines. Did FoMoCo make significant changes to the fuel injection mapping that would account for the increase in stock HP and lean out problems with CAI's?
Anyone familiar with the cylinder head temp's on the 4.6's? Mine runs the same temp whether on stock, level 1, 2 or 3. Theoretically, if its running lean, the cylinder head temps will increase along with the exhaust gas temps.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by bangingd
Not sure if the board allows the discussion of pricing. Give Bill a call and discuss. It is no secret or special deal for me. His pricing is very reasonable. He is also a member on the board his user name is ASEMECHANIC. I would PM but I need 100 posts.

I know of the GREAT Bill/ASEMECHANIC, I just didn't want to waste his time, money is tight but if the price is right my Edge is willing to travel

Quick Reply: Edge Evo and K&N