tuner exhaust cai

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuner exhaust cai

I have a 2005 150 screw king ranch and plan on adding the following to get the truck to basically wake up. Can ya'all offer info to me on this setup that I plan on getting. Whats all this lean info on here with adding a CAI

plan on adding

MBRP SS exhaust SI/DO to exit the rear corners

A cold air intake 3"- not sure which one, what about the AFE one?

An SCT X3 tuner, do you need to buy custom codes?

Please offer any suggestions or info on what you guys think. Thanks again All

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a good setup
Yes some CAI can cause a lean condition at WOT but it comes and goes
For the CAI the AF1 seems to be the best, same with the X3, seems to be the best tuner. I, as well as many others in here, will recommend custom tunes-you cant beat them. Troyer performance offers packages that sell the X3 with custom tunes, the AF1, and maganaflow exhaust all as one package.

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...&link=mainpage

Old 01-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Good Choices...!

IMO...what you've laid out is a good setup. The only advice I would offer is to stay away from the SuperChip Flashpaq tuner! They are not optimized for use with "any" CAI's (read...programmed for use with only the OEM air intake). They used to offer one-by-one reprogramming of them but they are in the midst of trying to get EPA/CARB approval for their tuners and wont touch any more tuners needing these adjustments until after an approval decision is made (6mos to a year) from now!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI poke99,

You re on the basic right track, in that the Top 3 best bang for the buck modifications are (and this is of course, using the best parts) tuning, intake, and exhaust.

And what I mean is a good custom tune, and properly designed air intake tract (and for the most power go with the 3.5" Air Force One, though if you want an intake kit that actually adds power and does NOT lean out the engine so that you can use it on your STOCK tuning only the 3.0" version of the Air Force One will accomplish that), and then for the cat-back exhaust, while MBRP does indeed offer a good product, Magnaflow would give you the absolute best results - but MBRP is a good one, we carry that line as well, as we test these parts and carry only what really works well - which is why you do not see us carrying a LOT of parts out there.

On the tuning side of things, the X3 will come with some pre-programmed tunes (meaning standard non-custom "canned" tunes) that you can use right away, and then once our custom tunes arrive via email, you can load them in and REALLY wake that truck up, as our tuning will gain the most safe & sustainable performance for these vehicles,. We have specialized in the F-150 platform for 16 years, and we actually test the vast majority of performance parts for these vehicles so that we can actually tell you what parts do the best job and why - the gaol for us is alway for our customer's trucks to run faster, pull harder, and have the best possible driveability and overall performance for a given level of modification - something we have been doing for many years.

On the intake side of things - with only one exception (the 3.0" version of the Air Force One), any intake kit you install that actually adds power anywhere will also lean out the engine and require *custom* tuning (not canned tunes) to compensate for it. Now we have ready-made corrections for some of the intake kits our there, but the best results are had with the 3.5" version of the Air Force One, in terms of the actual amount of power the vehicle makes, as well as the highest average amount of power available across the power band - yes, this kit will lean out the motor, but we have the corrections for this readily available in our custom tuning, so that is not a problem.

I know this can be a bit confusing, so if you would like to go over any of this in more detail, please feel free to give us call at our number listed below each of ours posts for your convenience. If you would like to speak with me personally, please feel free to ask for me - one thing, I will be out of the shop today and tomorrow for a trip, though our staff will of course be there - if you want to talk with someone right away, ask for Neil, and he'll be happy to help you - we have other staff too, Neil is one of our top individuals and has been with us for years, he has a lot of hands-on experience with heavy modifications on these F-150's at our shop and works with me on a lot of the tuning & parts testing, so if I am out he's the next best person to deal with, though all of our staff will be helpful. And again, if you'd like to speak with me personally, you can always leave your name & number & I will call you back, either on Tuesday or no later than Wednesday, and go over all of this in proper detail with you personally, so that you can be fully informed and make your decisions based on that knowledge.

So you're on the right basic track in terms of what types of modifications, you just need to know specifically which types of tuning and intake kit to go with to get the best results and what the effect of various intake kits actually are, so that you get the best results for your money, and that is what we excel in. For what you are wanting, I would actually suggest our Stage 1 kit, as that includes the intake, our custom tuning as well as the cat-back exhaust - I would also upgrade to the 3.5" Air Force One intake kit, as that will get you the most power, and that is an option on our Stage 1 kit - just FYI.

I hope this info helps you a bit, & best of luck with your truck!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Mike Troyer...sent you an email...

Mike:

I hope you didnt take offense to my post to poke99. I may not have been specific enough when I failed to mention "canned tunes", CAI's, and the lean conditions. I personally am a Flashpaq owner who is now stuck with a K&N kit that I cant use unless I'm willing to lose 3mpg when I use it with the Flashpaq or take the tuning off entirely! I've asked several times via Flashpaq's forum to send it in so they can do the "custom tune" but they refuse due to their seeking CARB approval. I also sent you and email yesterday(1-14-2008) asking if you are handcuffed by their actions or if you could do the tuning...what do you think? The really upsetting thing is that nobody bothered to say that the programs weren't compatible with CAI's or were only designed for OEM intake systems. If they had I'm sure I would have made a different choice...but having 1715 MicroTuner experience with my '03 SCrew I felt I could bank on SuperChips. Needless to say, I'm a little dissappointed. Can you help? moltman@comcast.net

Quick Reply: tuner exhaust cai