Tire size not sticking on Egde

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire size not sticking on Egde

Just updated my Edge tonight... It had me go through the Lightning --> Fusion update (where are the custom splash screens?) --

I then went to do a custom Level 3 -- all my custom parameters stuck EXCEPT tire size. No matter what I do, it reverts back to the default 23-something. I was trying to set 2708mm which is a 35 with 3% squish factor. Yes, I loaded "previous" when I went back in to look. All other changes were there as I made them except tire size.

What's going on?

Boot: 2.50.1857
Formware: 2.50.4482
Calibration: 1.0.4430
Hardware: 6
Hex: RXCM4E8

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by pKai; 03-05-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Might wanna PM bill, (ASEmechanic)

Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Suspended
I had the same problem with my Edge. Lucky for me it would revert back to something close enough to my tire size to not make much of a difference. Hopefully Bill will be able to help you out.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
Might wanna PM bill, (ASEmechanic)
He is under 100 posts. He cannot PM yet!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I'll put it on the list of stuff to do this week. Given the size of the list and the serious nature of many of the issues, it'll honestly get put on the back burner until next week. I'm sorry to have to put it off, but we have some drivability issues that take precedence. Rest assured though, I'll get a look at it.

Take care.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Sorry, had to go away for a couple of days....

Interesting development -- I did a Level 2 tune and suprisingly the tire size DID stick... Hmmm, I said, so I went back to Level 3, did a tune there and NOW THEY STICK TOO....

This quirky behavior really bothers me. I'm a software engineer with 20+ years experience and I can tell you that although I LOVE the Edge Evolution when it comes to what it does to my truck (Bill's side of things, I suspect) -- their software tends to suck in unspeakable ways.

Lightning was garbage, and now FUSION is Garbage Light. Can anyone tell me why they have such an issue here. There is such HUGE potential here with a decent user interface that they are just ignoring. Why don't they seem to have any decent developers? I can recommend some! Do they pay like crap or something?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by pKai
Lightning was garbage, and now FUSION is Garbage Light.
That hurts my feelings, because I wrote Lightning.

So enlighten me... what sucked about Lightning? I know Fusion is a pain in the tush, but everyone I've talked to seemed to think Lightning was okay.

(As a side note, my feelings aren't really hurt...)

Last edited by ASEMechanic; 03-08-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry, had to go away for a couple of days....

Interesting development -- I did a Level 2 tune and suprisingly the tire size DID stick... Hmmm, I said, so I went back to Level 3, did a tune there and NOW THEY STICK TOO....

This quirky behavior really bothers me. I'm a software engineer with 20+ years experience and I can tell you that although I LOVE the Edge Evolution when it comes to what it does to my truck (Bill's side of things, I suspect) -- their software tends to suck in unspeakable ways.

Lightning was garbage, and now FUSION is Garbage Light. Can anyone tell me why they have such an issue here. There is such HUGE potential here with a decent user interface that they are just ignoring. Why don't they seem to have any decent developers? I can recommend some! Do they pay like crap or something?

I also have quirky behavior. sometimes things like tire size, gear ratio's stick and sometimes they don't?????????? strange
I am yet to even attempt to use fusion. only had edge for a month.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic

So enlighten me... what sucked about Lightning? I know Fusion is a pain in the tush, but everyone I've talked to seemed to think Lightning was okay.

need more purdy icons and colors

Old 03-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic

Bill:

Ok... sorry... perhaps "Garbage" was a bit too strong a term in referring to Lightning.... It DID work and it DID do what it claimed. I'm still pissed off about FUSION, I guess -- or ANY so-called "upgrade" to any software that removes ANY functionality -- specially 90% of it!!! If I turn your tried and true 5.4 into a brand-new-design 1.4 you would not call that an engine "upgrade" would you?

Did you write FUSION? What was the reason for removing all the functionality? I heard a rumor that this was done to support a new automated update distribution mechanism? FUSION (what little there is) looks somewhat .NET-ish whereas Lightning looked more C++ or VB 6-ish. Are we trying to connect to a .NET web service and could not figure it out with Lightning?

I'm going to reinstall Lighting and post back details of what I don't like about it. From what I remember (other than last week, its been 4 months since I did anything with any of this except in the truck), mostly it dealt with presentation, intuitiveness, and some functionality that should be relatively easy to code. The whole update process was a bit convoluted. Also, the data collection function was a bit quirky. Should also be easy to add the ability to create tunes on the PC in Lightning and upload them to the Evo w/o having to sit in the truck and push buttons -- this way all you do in the truck is "load previous" and write the PCM..... There should be enough memory in the Evo to store at least 1 custom tune in the same place "load previous" lives. I bet we can cram a few more in if we "steal" some/all of the data collection memory. Should also have the ability to make non-tuning selections (such as display options) all in Lightning and not in the truck. All this could/should be user-selectable whether to do it in the truck or Lightning.

P.S. Pretty icons and colors not needed. I'm a command-line kinda guy... the less GUI, the better.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM
First, while I (and 2 other fellas) did write Lightning, I didn't write Fusion. Fusion is a .NET based application, and Lightning is a VB6 application. The reason for the loss of functionality is that Edge's engineering dept. felt that they needed to "dumb down" the software and that a simple, web-based, client/server update mechanism was the best way to go. With that in mind, they tossed Lightning and basically started over. All the rest of my comments will be directed towards Lihgtning as I do not have any further information on Fusion.

Lightning is certainly a little quirky and a little clunky. VB6 is not the most elegant code to write in, but is one of the easiest and quickest. I write a great deal of software, but mostly utilities. Aside from some software that I wrote years ago for Superchips, this is the first commercial application I have been involved with. I agree it could have looked better, but I was going more for functionality at the time.

If you look at the original versions of Lightning, it did have a Custom Options Editor that allowed you to preset your calibration options as well as LCD color right from your PC. It was crude, but it worked. At some point I was told to quit doing any further development on the interface and concentrate on calibrations. After all, Edge isn't "in the software business" as they put it. So fuirther development on the software got shelved and it was released pretty much as you see it. A couple bug fixes aside, it hasn't changed much.

For the release Lightning, I managed to keep the seperate firmware/calibration update mechanisms as well as the ability to "roll back" to an earlier version if the latest updates caused a problem. Fusion has that, but a tech or engineer has to target your unit for roll back. They felt it was too complicated for the average person to understand what they were doing and wanted to take that choice out of their hands.

I felt Lightning had plenty of potential if we had time to clean it up and is in fact what I plan to use for an update mechanism when we sell our units. Over time, the the functions will be expanded and I will take a look at the comments on here for suggestionson how to improve functionality. The fact is that you guys are the ones who use it and there's no reason to limit functionality or ignore your requests.

Take care.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Ahhhhh... company politics... gotta love that sh*t...

Makes perfect sense now... they took your app, trashed it (or ordered you to do it), and released it. Happens to the best of us. I feel for you.

Also, I beg to differ with Edge -- they most certainly ARE in the software business!!!

What runs on the Evo? -- SOFTWARE!!
What runs in the Ford PCM? -- SOFTWARE!!
What is the Evo manipulating within the PCM? -- SOFTWARE!!
What could make your truck run like sh*t as much as a piston with a hole in it? -- BAD SOFTWARE!!!
What could PUT THE HOLE in that piston -- More BAD SOFTWARE!!!

Who is running Edge? Accountants? Why do they fail to see that they are a SOFTWARE COMPANY that happens to be in the engine tuning market space -- (versus say, microwave ovens)

Sheesh!

Will your "reborn" Lightning work on the Edge Evos or just the branded ones? Any way around that?

Thanks for your time -- Ever come to South Florida?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 PM
pkai, I had the same problem today...

so I called tech support at Edge. I am currently in level 2(87 octane tow) in my 05 screw. I could go in and change the tire size setting and whenever I went back in to see if the tire size setting changed to what I set it to, it was right back to the default setting. Here is what Casey at tech support told me in a nutshell: After you go in and change the setting to what you want it changed to and you press enter, it accepts the change and it is stored in the program and it will stay there until you go back in to the tire size setting again, at which time it will revert back to the default setting. Now, I am just an old dumb country boy, so he had to explain it to me a couple of times for me to get the jist of what he was saying, but from what he told me, you cannot verify the setting you change the tire size to because whenever you go back into that setting it will automatically go back to the default setting, which on mine was 2359 or something like that. Now, if this is not accurate info, it was given by a tech named Casey at Edge. Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Ahhhhh... company politics... gotta love that sh*t...

Makes perfect sense now... they took your app, trashed it (or ordered you to do it), and released it. Happens to the best of us. I feel for you.

Also, I beg to differ with Edge -- they most certainly ARE in the software business!!!

What runs on the Evo? -- SOFTWARE!!
What runs in the Ford PCM? -- SOFTWARE!!
What is the Evo manipulating within the PCM? -- SOFTWARE!!
What could make your truck run like sh*t as much as a piston with a hole in it? -- BAD SOFTWARE!!!
What could PUT THE HOLE in that piston -- More BAD SOFTWARE!!!

Who is running Edge? Accountants? Why do they fail to see that they are a SOFTWARE COMPANY that happens to be in the engine tuning market space -- (versus say, microwave ovens)

Sheesh!

Will your "reborn" Lightning work on the Edge Evos or just the branded ones? Any way around that?

Thanks for your time -- Ever come to South Florida?
Hooray!! Someone who finally understands the way today's world works. Why can't I get Edge to understand that? LOL And frankly, Edge is run by accountants. But that's a WHOLE other story.

Anyway, let me say that at the time, Edge felt they weren't in th PC Desktop Application business. Of course, that feeling is changing but they still concentrate more on the hardware and don't exactly feel like desktop applications of any use other than to update their hardware.

Me, I'm a gadget and utility freak. I like functionality, as long as it is fairly self intuitive. I don't read instructions so if I can't figure it out in about 30 seconds by myself, I am not interested.

It's funny that you should call it a "reborn" Lightning, as I have actually renamed the software "Phoenix" in recognition of rising from the charred ashes. Also figured that Phoenix and Gryphon worked well together. I am working on the software now to make it compatible with both old and new versions of the Evolution as well as the Gryphon. However, the update functionality will ONLY work on the Gryphon.

Yes, I do get down to S. Fl every once in a while. Born in Miami and still have friends down there. Get to Orlando more frequently, though.

Take care.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by tmanscrew
so I called tech support at Edge. I am currently in level 2(87 octane tow) in my 05 screw. I could go in and change the tire size setting and whenever I went back in to see if the tire size setting changed to what I set it to, it was right back to the default setting. Here is what Casey at tech support told me in a nutshell: After you go in and change the setting to what you want it changed to and you press enter, it accepts the change and it is stored in the program and it will stay there until you go back in to the tire size setting again, at which time it will revert back to the default setting. Now, I am just an old dumb country boy, so he had to explain it to me a couple of times for me to get the jist of what he was saying, but from what he told me, you cannot verify the setting you change the tire size to because whenever you go back into that setting it will automatically go back to the default setting, which on mine was 2359 or something like that. Now, if this is not accurate info, it was given by a tech named Casey at Edge. Hope this helps.
You can test Casey's statement by checking your actual speed with a GPS, if you have one. If it "took", your actual speed should be about 2mph slower than what the speedo and the Edge say your speed is. The Edge and the speedo should agree with each other in any case.

Mine was not taking at all (IOW, the Edge tire size display was showing the incorrect default size and the speed was wrong) until I did what I said above purely by chance.

Last edited by pKai; 03-12-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire size not sticking on Egde