For the 04+ 4.6L owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the 04+ 4.6L owners

Just wanted to know how many of you out there are running custom tunes/programmer and which make model you prefer and what the performance gains have been. I am planning on bolt on mods only to include a programmer, thanks!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Suspended
Racing2Fast just placed his order with VMP Tuning for custom tunes for his 4.6L. He's using a Xcal2. I also recommend getting a Xcal2 from Justin at www.VMPTuning.com as well as for your custom tuning. You won't be disappointed.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:02 AM
X-Cal2 AND VMP TUNES ARE ON THE WAY!

Originally Posted by futurpilot
Just wanted to know how many of you out there are running custom tunes/programmer and which make model you prefer and what the performance gains have been. I am planning on bolt on mods only to include a programmer, thanks!

I have an 04 4.6 2wd and have a K&N CAI and SI/SO FlowMaster 50 Series and am currently running the SuperChips 1714 on 91performance Tune. The gains I could feel and see at the track between stock, and Canned Tunes were outstanding. My fastest 1/4 mile stock was around 17.8. A week later, and on the SC1714 Premium Tune I had her down to 16.2. Granted it was a few degree's cooler I still ran a full second quicker.(that was with an added tool box, loaded down with tools, ect.. also.) So the canned tunners are great.... to a point! WOT is about all they are good for. It's been my understanding that with Custom tunes, you get the gains through out. Not just at WOT. Not to mention Custom Tunes are sculptured to YOUR truck, driving style, and mods. I have also heard that the 4.6's with custom tunes are pretty damn close to the 5.4's stock.

I chose the X-Cal 2 simply because with an edge, I didnt want to leave the device on my dash, wich IMO is a invite for a crack head to break out my window and grab it. That and I found a fellow user who sold it to me for a great price, and with the awesome prices VMP offer's I got both the Tuner, and Custom Tunes for the price of a used edge w/o custom tunes. Im due to get my VMP tunes here in the next few days, and will post back and let you know what I think.

Tom

Old 03-09-2008, 03:02 AM
'05 4.6L Screw..

3" AF1 intake, Borla SI/SO cat-back, Xcal 2 with Troyer tunes.

The cat-back gained me some mpg, the intake got me much better throttle response.

The tunes made it an entirely new truck!!

I love what the intake and exhaust by themselves did, but the tuning takes it to a different level. The shifting is perfect, the throttle response is amazing.

I bought those mods a piece at a time, exhaust, then intake, then tunes. Ran me about $1300 doing it one at a time.

If I'd known about it at the time I'd have just bought Troyer's stage one package. Probably saved at least $200 for the same perfomance (though I do prefer my Borla over Magnaflow!.. LOL)..

Quick Reply: For the 04+ 4.6L owners