ignition upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ignition upgrade

i posted this in the engine section but not a whole lot of response so i thought i would run this past you guys.

http://www.f150store.com/Shop/ViewPr...&PlateTypeID=1

basically an msd ignition style box for COP motors. i know multiple spark ignitions increase throttle response but was curious what you guys thought.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don’t have one so this isn’t 1st hand info but everything I’ve heard about them is positive. From what I’ve read about Plasma Booster they’re a must when you start making big ponies, 500+

Another thing I’ve read, that would benefit me, is they burn up all the fuel better in high humidity and the humidity is usually way high all the time where I live

Do a search for Plasma Booster

Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Does that mean the spark plug would wear out 10 times faster

This does look interesting, would this require a change to your custom tune if you have one ?????

Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
I'd really like to see an "unbiased" test of these things. To me, they look like snake oil.

Consider: Your spark ignites the fuel/air mixture in its immediate vicinity. Within nanoseconds, the flame front moves away from the ignition source (the spark) leaving burned, incombustable (but hot and expanding) gasses behind, which are surrounding the spark source. Now, in the next 500 microseconds, we get 10 progressively weaker sparks in that incombustable (already burned) space. What is this going to do for us? How can a spark further ignite gasses that have already burned?

This reminds me somewhat of the spark plugs that have two, or even three terminals. It only takes one spark to set the whole thing in motion (although in these plugs, if one of the terminals is worn so that it's gapped badly or broken off, maybe the others can take up the load).

Again, I'm not claiming to be an "expert" here. Just asking for an unbiased test.

- Jack

Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I say that the only way to tell is to dyno test this item without any other mods, to see what it, if anything, it will truly gain over stock.

Secondly, I notice that the more popular tuners like VMP, Troyer, Henson, et cetera, offer items which complement their tuning. Intakes, exhaust, pulleys, coolers, fans, headers, et cetera. If this thing works, why aren't the performance tuning guys using it?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Suspended
Ignition mods are pretty sketchy IMO.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Troyer includes the plasma ignition in the stage II kits. Came with mine anyway.

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 AM
I only have a few problems with the claims, first the o-scope recording of a "stock" ignition pattern is not true. But claims of higher horsepower and torque by just cycling the coil more? The booster doesn't increase peak Kv or seem to extend duration, it just kicks it a few more times as it falls, and by doing this, it only fires the coil at a lower voltage than the intial spark required. Once the flame front has dispersed and the piston begins to head down, you can fire the plug until the intake stroke and not gain anything. I would LOVE to see some dyno tests that this actually does anything, but require you to splice all your coil wires and occupy space. MSD and the factory Ford mutltiple spark igniton system only work until 3000 for a reason, it's not efficent or fast enough to keep up. I would find something WAY better to spend my $380 on.

Quick Reply: ignition upgrade