Run lean with Edge/Drop in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run lean with Edge/Drop in?

Recently, I have noticed that my truck (05 F150) pings slightly under mild load. At first, I thought that I had gotten some bad gasoline, but it has done it for about 2500 miles now with different brands. I have been running my Edge on level 2 with a Maggie SI/SO catback/Airaid Jr. drop in combo. Do you guys think that this would cause a slight lean condition without setting off a CEL? The trucks runs great otherwise, but I would like to get ahold of this pinging that it never did before. I think that I'm just going to have the O2 sensors checked after it warms up (closed loop) to see it that's it, but to just happen after running this combo for many miles? I know that many have problems with a CAI/tuner combo without custom settings. I would be a little surprised to find that the drop-in filter was causing the problems. I guess that I should just try using an MC air filter with the rest intact to see if the problem persists. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 AM
just wondering what do you mean it "pings" when does the pinging sound happen? when you are driving? in park? truck is off? sorry dont understand

Old 03-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by marcolarco52
just wondering what do you mean it "pings" when does the pinging sound happen? when you are driving? in park? truck is off? sorry dont understand
Like I said, under mild engine load...like going up a hill or passing.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It could be bad gas. There are lots of possibilities.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by KSpencer
Recently, I have noticed that my truck (05 F150) pings slightly under mild load. At first, I thought that I had gotten some bad gasoline, but it has done it for about 2500 miles now with different brands. I have been running my Edge on level 2 with a Maggie SI/SO catback/Airaid Jr. drop in combo. Do you guys think that this would cause a slight lean condition without setting off a CEL? The trucks runs great otherwise, but I would like to get ahold of this pinging that it never did before. I think that I'm just going to have the O2 sensors checked after it warms up (closed loop) to see it that's it, but to just happen after running this combo for many miles? I know that many have problems with a CAI/tuner combo without custom settings. I would be a little surprised to find that the drop-in filter was causing the problems. I guess that I should just try using an MC air filter with the rest intact to see if the problem persists. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
Altitude and weather

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 AM
remove edge or drop in on that tank of gas and see if it goes away

Old 03-21-2008, 12:22 PM
To my recollection, drop-ins have not been a problem. Not to say that it couldn't be, though.

If you are getting detonation (pinging) on heavy load/throttle and it wasn't a problem before, I'd say it's just some bad gas and freshen up your tank when you can. You can also go in the custom options and back the timing down a degree or two to get rid of the detonation until you can refill.

Take care.

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Update

I put the old OEM air filter in this morning on the way to work to find it still pinging under load. I just got back from a long lunch today with the stock tune loaded. It did not ping as loudly, but was still there. I have an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow morning, so I will see what they say (O2 sensor). I don't think that the weather/altitude has anything to do with it with over 10K clocked on this setup previously without problems. I forgot just how much slower this truck is on the stock tune. One thing about it...just started happening all of the sudden 2500 miles ago, and I remember saying, "never heard that before". I would say that something is either starting to fail or I have a small vacuum leak, or whatever that just started all of the sudden. These trucks have knock sensors, but mine has not tripped yet. Just weird.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Update

My oxygen sensor failed what the tech called a "resistance" test. They replaced it, and the truck came home (30 mile trip) without any problems (pinging). I am convinced that this was the problem all along. The tech said that these sensors rarely go back, and there was no obvious evidence that something caused the failure. Anyway, all is fixed now, so I will tune to level 2 and see what happens.

Bill and everyone else,
Thanks for the information.

Also, Bill,
The links to your websites do not work for me.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:08 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
sorry you had the problem, but thanks for making us aware of this.

Quick Reply: Run lean with Edge/Drop in?