Gryphon and Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
how old do you have to be to loose the pizzazz? I still like to floor it, whenever, just like ever; why not?
I'm not sure it has to do with age exactly, possibly more to do with the fact that I used to fly Air Force fighters. Once you've driven one of those down on the deck (to avoid radar) driving anything on wheels sort of loses its thrill. And, you know when you're in a fighter, the other guys are professionals too. You don't really have that same, warm fuzzy feeling in a car (or truck).

It's more of a "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" kind of thing. But, whenever I decide to pass someone (on a two-lane road) I step on it - hard.

- Jack

Old 04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gilsnuxs
with the tracking # you can call UPS and have them redirect it to where you will be.
Yea, thanks for reminding me about that. But, I won't have the truck so it won't do me much good (unless I just want to sit and start at it).

We're going to be on the beach in (I hope) sunny California. Not planning on doing much driving - just "mellowing out". Don't need a truck for that and with the price of gas now, don't really need the truck to get there and back. We'll take Janet's Toy (don't throw bricks).

Probably won't even take my laptop! (I know how to be a beach bum)!

- Jack

Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red4
Hey Corey,

I am the lucky recipient of the Gryphon all the way up in Okotoks, Alberta.

Are you able to email a tracking number to me for my shipment? At least that way, I can justify my pacing back at forth at the front door to my wife.

Thanks!
Good morning Adam,

My first message to you started out with an "I'm sorry..." but I just remembered that I had enough info with me in Missouri to access your tracking number, which I'll e-mail to you in a few minutes.

Have an incredibly awesome day!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
And another example of outstanding customer support from PowerHungryPerformance shows up! Add that to the guages in the Gryphon and there's just no competition!

- Jack

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody get their gryphon installed yet and have any input?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
And we're home now, as you might have noticed from my other posts - or maybe not, and it's not important anyway right?

I actually got the Gryphon just about three hours before we left for the California freeways and decided to take the truck after all (there's safety in size - compared to a Honda Accord).

It installed into the vehicle without a hitch and I set it to the "canned" level 2 program again. One of the first things I noticed was that Bill had updated the firmware from what I had in the programmer when I sent it off. I now had many more choices in settings than before. The custom tune had not arrived, due as you all know, to the series of unfortunate events that have happened to Bill and Corey.

The truck again ran very well to and from the beach north of El Capitan. My truck's speedo was "precisely" as far as I can tell, 2mph faster than "exact" in the 70+ MPH range (just as Bill has said) and the odometer looks like it's dead on (less than 0.1 mile error in 100 miles).

So, on reasonably level ground (a few ups and downs) I seem to be getting 15.3-15.5 MPG in this beast (calculated at fillup based on miles driven). The programmer shows a slightly different figure, but it seems to be showing a figure that is over a shorter period of time. For a 4x4 SCrew with a 200+# bed shell that sticks up about 6 inches above the cab, this seems reasonable.

Just so you'll know, I set the speed control and try to drive at about 78MPH - I know, it's not FAST and it's not legal, but it feels about right. (And it doesn't conflict with traffic too much).

When we returned I found Bill had emailed me the tune I'd asked for. At his suggestion, I called him so he could "talk me through the install" onto the Gryphon. It was a bit complicated, and needed an "authoriizaton code" but, installed without any problems at all. My Gryphon now has a Gryphon for a splash screen!

I put it back in the truck and it has programmed the PCM again without any obvious problems. Tomorrow I plan to take it out for a "spin". Right now I'm sipping a martini and reflecting on how there are still some good deals in this world.

I think I found one.

- Jack

Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
A short followup:

I took the truck for a short, 10 mile drive this morning. It "feels" really good - nice acceleration when I want it with quick up and downshifts, a pleasure to drive.

It appears to me that it is getting better fuel economy too, looking at the Gryphon readings for average and instant MPG. They seem to be higher than I remember at the speeds I was averaging. I was also not "babying" it on starts from a standing stop, so seeing numbers in the 15+MPG range for "non highway" driving look promising. I won't be able to confirm better MPG of course until I fill up the gas tank again, and that probably won't happen till we take another trip (maybe next month). With gas prices the way they are, I'm not ready to drive a couple of hundred miles just as a "test".

The tune, by the way, is a custom 87 octane "towing" tune that suits our relatively light (3600#), low-profile trailer better than the stock tune.

So, nothing but positive feedback on PHP for now. I'll add to this later when I have more to say.

- Jack

Old 06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Specific Results With the Gryphon

I promised I'd have more to say about the Gryphon upgrade when I had some real data. Well, I do now.

We just got back from a 2384 mile trip towing our 3600# trailer into the mountains of Colorado. This included crossing 11,000+ foot passes (Monarch and Red Mountain Pass) as well as some lower ones like Glorieta, Raton, Kenosha and Molas. I know I had the trailer on the truck for at least 2200 of those miles.

Previously, with the canned tunes on the Edge, the best gas mileage I ever got was 12.2 mpg towing that trailer, and that was "easy" towing over fairly level ground on the highway here in Arizona. In this last trip though, pulling the trailer up and down mountains, using Bill's custom 87 octane towing tune in the Gryphon, I averaged 12.91 mpg (or 0.71 mpg better than before - doing much harder driving)! Individual mpgs at each fillup rainged from a high of 14.87 mpg to a low of 10.9 mpg. We burned 184.7 gallons of gas on the trip at an average cost of $3.91 per gal.

If I had driven the same trip and gotten my old best, level ground gas mileage, I would have bought 195.45 gallons of gas, or 10.75 gallons more. At my average cost, the savings for the trip, using Bill's tune is $42.01.

So, as I see it, I'm only $8.00 shy of recovering the entire cost of the custom tune - all on one trip!

And, one more small bit of information: I like to pull the trailer at about 65-70 mph. I had no trouble maintaining that speed up 7% grades over those passes (as long as the road was straight enough). But, I could keep up with traffic on the slower, switchback roads too.

Bill, your tune's great!

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 06-30-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added a line
Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I promised I'd have more to say about the Gryphon upgrade when I had some real data. Well, I do now.

We just got back from a 2384 mile trip towing our 3600# trailer into the mountains of Colorado. This included crossing 11,000+ foot passes (Monarch and Red Mountain Pass) as well as some lower ones like Glorieta, Raton, Kenosha and Molas. I know I had the trailer on the truck for at least 2200 of those miles.

Previously, with the canned tunes on the Edge, the best gas mileage I ever got was 12.2 mpg towing that trailer, and that was "easy" towing over fairly level ground on the highway here in Arizona. In this last trip though, pulling the trailer up and down mountains, using Bill's custom 87 octane towing tune in the Gryphon, I averaged 12.91 mpg (or 0.71 mpg better than before - doing much harder driving)! Individual mpgs at each fillup rainged from a high of 14.87 mpg to a low of 10.9 mpg. We burned 184.7 gallons of gas on the trip at an average cost of $3.91 per gal.

If I had driven the same trip and gotten my old best, level ground gas mileage, I would have bought 195.45 gallons of gas, or 10.75 gallons more. At my average cost, the savings for the trip, using Bill's tune is $42.01.

So, as I see it, I'm only $8.00 shy of recovering the entire cost of the custom tune - all on one trip!

And, one more small bit of information: I like to pull the trailer at about 65-70 mph. I had no trouble maintaining that speed up 7% grades over those passes (as long as the road was straight enough). But, I could keep up with traffic on the slower, switchback roads too.

Bill, your tune's great!

- Jack
JACK! We've missed you! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your information about the Gryphon. What a wonderful testimonial!

(Check out the new website when you get a chance!)

Quick Reply: Gryphon and Edge