Gryphon and Edge

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Smile Gryphon and Edge

I started to put this into a previous thread, that got a bit out of hand, and decided to start a new one.

Being somewhat older than many of you I suspect, my driving habits are probably a bit different. Essentially, I'd like to pull our 3600# trailer efficiently and economically, while having the power to pass slower traffic quickly if necessary. I'm NOT interested in making the tires break loose - ever!

So, I have a stock Edge and have been using it on the level 2 towing program with a few adjustments (WOT shift points, max RPM, tire size, etc) and this morning I gave Bill (at Powerhungryperformance) a call.

We had a very friendly and, for me, an educational chat and I learned a bit more about the Edge. Lvl 2 was generically designed for people pulling 7-8000#, high air-drag monsters and is not really appropriate for my needs.

But, it can be changed to give me much more of what I wanted, even though I've been pretty happy with the improvement over what Ford put into the PCM. Of course the "kicker" is, that I have to "trade in" my Edge for the Gryphon, since the Edge can no longer be "tuned".

I'm not going to go into the pricing of either the "tune" or the trade-in. If you want to know the hit on your wallet, call Bill. Let me just say they are both VERY reasonable. My Edge is in the mail as of today and I'm looking forward to an even better driving experience.

Chalk me up as a Gryphon advocate!

- Jack

Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you mean by trading in?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Nice to know there is a reasonable "trade in" for the Gryphon. I'll be pulling around 6500+ and will probably stick with the stock Edge,not looking to own a race car either but having options is a bonus.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by awg-8
What do you mean by trading in?
You send Bill your edge, and he sends you a gryphon..I was one of the last few to get my edge tuned by Bill.. You will love it!!

Jon

Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MexiGeo
Thanks for the info. Nice to know there is a reasonable "trade in" for the Gryphon. I'll be pulling around 6500+ and will probably stick with the stock Edge,not looking to own a race car either but having options is a bonus.
Why don't you call him? Explain your needs and see what he has. I can (my personal experience) guarantee he will not try to "high pressure" you into anything. All he does is explain what he can do and that's it! You get to choose on your own time.

I suspect he can turn your stock Edge into something you'll like a lot more, and, the cost will be much less than you might be worried about. I bet too, if he can't create a tune that he thinks you'll like, he'll tell you.

You know, when you "talk" to a guy, you get a "feeling". Know what I mean?

And, just so you'll understand, I'm only a forum member like you. In no way affiliated with Edge or Gryphon. I'm simply passing on my personal experiences.

- Jack

Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Why don't you call him? Explain your needs and see what he has. I can (my personal experience) guarantee he will not try to "high pressure" you into anything. All he does is explain what he can do and that's it! You get to choose on your own time.

I suspect he can turn your stock Edge into something you'll like a lot more, and, the cost will be much less than you might be worried about. I bet too, if he can't create a tune that he thinks you'll like, he'll tell you.

And, just so you'll understand, I'm only a forum member like you. In no way affiliated with Edge or Gryphon. I'm simply passing on my personal experiences.

- Jack
This description of Bill is exactly the way I feel through every question, email and phone call I have had. He is a treat people like you want to be treated" guy. There are very few left in this day.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bangingd
This description of Bill is exactly the way I feel through every question, email and phone call I have had. He is a treat people like you want to be treated" guy. There are very few left in this day.
Exactly my experience.

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

- Jack
Bill does sound like a good guy and I may have to give him a call. I think whats holding me back is that he's 2500 miles from home here in Alberta and I'm not sure how that long a distance will work if problems arise with the Gryphon.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Well I think I will be the last to get tunes for my edge, they should hopefully be here tomm. I have waited almost 3 weeks, but I'm not in any hurry. I have an idea the truck will be comp. different, but we'll see. I hope to get out to the track and then I will REALLY see if his tunes make a difference. But I'm already looking into the PHP Gryphon, so I will see how it works out.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by GJ Screw
You send Bill your edge, and he sends you a gryphon..I was one of the last few to get my edge tuned by Bill.. You will love it!!

Jon
So is this an even trade or are there some additional costs?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by awg-8
So is this an even trade or are there some additional costs?
doesn't everyone agree this thread needs to end until there is some comprehension about what is taking place ?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Well obviously it's not an even trade, but Bill is very accessible if you're really curious.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by clambelly
doesn't everyone agree this thread needs to end until there is some comprehension about what is taking place ?
Not really. There IS a trade-in charge, but I'm not going to give it out because it's not my place to do so. This is something only Bill should do. I've already said it's VERY reasonable.

If you want to know the costs (and other options) just CALL him! You will NOT regret the experience, that much I WILL guarantee! (Sorry for all the shouting, but, honestly, what have you got to lose? The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask. If you don't ask questions, what can you possibly learn?)

And, what is taking place is that if you have an Edge that you want custom tuned, you will have to trade it for a Gryphon. Bill is essentially becoming a "retailer/modifier" for custom tuned Edges so that Edge is off the hook for anything that might offend our wonderful government and its bureaucratic policies. (At least that's how I understand it).

Come on - don't be a wimp asking your questions here in this nice, safe, impersonal environment. Just call the man!

- Jack

Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Bill does sound like a good guy and I may have to give him a call. I think whats holding me back is that he's 2500 miles from home here in Alberta and I'm not sure how that long a distance will work if problems arise with the Gryphon.
You raise an interesting point, but look at it this way:

If the guy tuning my programmer was more than say 300 miles away, I'd feel he was just as far out of reach. If I can't take my truck, programmer, whatever to the "service center", have it fixed and get back the same day, it might as well be on the other side of the world. How many of us have "tuners" within that radius? (This is just a rhetorical question. Please, the 100 or so of you that do don't answer).

If you go to the PowerHungryPerformance web page, you'll find they are "open" from 8AM to 9PM five days a week. And they try to be able to respond in a reasonable manner to "disabled" vehicle problems 7 days a week. Now that sounds good to me.

And, when I called about trading in my Edge for a Gryphon, I got a "real" person - Corey, right away! She has a very pleasant voice too. When I asked about the trade-in she immediately handed me off to Bill. So, no answering machine; no, "If you want to do a trade-in, press 1. If your vehicle has blown up, press 2. etc, etc.".

So, call them and be open with your concerns. My guess is, any problems will be resolved about as fast (or maybe even faster) as they would be if you had another kind of problem and had to work with your local dealer.

- Jack

Old 04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm just south of you and ordered my Gryphon from Bill last week. I'd rather order something from a trusted name 2500 miles away than to go to some random dyno place close to home.

Give him a call and talk to him.

Quick Reply: Gryphon and Edge