Disabling The Torque Management System

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disabling The Torque Management System

I was wondering if any of you with custom tunes have had the Ford Torque Management System disabled in the custom tune? I'm ordering my custom tunes on Monday and am really thinking about having it disabled. I want to have everything the truck has available to me when I may need/want it. What are the pros and cons of disabling it? Will it kill the transmission? I read somewhere (I think it was the owners manual) that when the truck is in 4x4 LOW range that the torque management system is disabled, with the factory OEM tune. If this is the case then it would seem that the transmission can handle the higher torque that is being put out. What do you guys think??

Old 06-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mfg's do this to get them through the warranty on their transmissions,i've had mine disabled in my last 2 fords with over 100 k miles and zero tranny problems

Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by PhqChevys
I was wondering if any of you with custom tunes have had the Ford Torque Management System disabled in the custom tune? I'm ordering my custom tunes on Monday and am really thinking about having it disabled. I want to have everything the truck has available to me when I may need/want it. What are the pros and cons of disabling it? Will it kill the transmission? I read somewhere (I think it was the owners manual) that when the truck is in 4x4 LOW range that the torque management system is disabled, with the factory OEM tune. If this is the case then it would seem that the transmission can handle the higher torque that is being put out. What do you guys think??
LOL, because the t-case is before the transmission.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Huh?

What is the "torque management system"? Never heard of it.
Sounds retarded.
I want torque and I want it now
Please explain

Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by malexander52
Sounds retarded.
Please explain
They limit motor power during shifts and at slower speeds to help reduce damage to the driveline.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
LOL, because the t-case is before the transmission.
That's funny, on my truck it goes engine, then transmission, and then the transfer case. Come to think of it, that's how EVERY 4x4 I have EVER seen works...

What I was speaking of is when you put the new F150's in 4x4 LOW range, it "disables" the torque management system to provide you with the full power of the engine. This is ONLY true for 4x4 LOW range, in 4x4 HIGH range the torque management system is still enabled.

Last edited by PhqChevys; 06-30-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:35 PM
That's funny, on my truck it goes engine, then transmission, and then the transfer case. Come to think of it, that's how EVERY 4x4 I have EVER seen works...
Exactly! So 'NO' the system does not disable any TQ. settings, it just changes it slightly for a different pedal feel for the most part.

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by malexander52
Sounds retarded.
Please explain
The ECU has a system built into the tune programed in it that limits the amount of torque that is allowed to be produced by the engine and transfered to the drive train. The ECU will limit the timing advancement, cam advancement, electronic throttle control, and locking and unlocking the torque converter. It also takes into consideration the amount of "load" on the engine, so if you are towing or hauling something, it will allow more torque to be produced. With the newer electronic throttle control systems (drive by wire), a servo motor controls the opening and closing of the throttle bodies butterfly valve. What this means is that you may be giving it full throttle at the gas peddle, but the throttle body isn't actually at full throttle, the ECU's torque management system is limiting it. It will also unlock your torque converter so it will slip and not allow all of the torque to be transfered to the transmission. All in all, what it means is that your truck has A LOT more to give you, but the tune programed in the ECU is limiting it because it thinks it knows what you really need.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:30 AM
phq chevy-for some members it would be better to keep their mouth shut and be thought of stupid instead of typing things and erasing all doubt-and by all means i do not mean you-good info on the engine then trans then tc alignment and explanation of the tq management-

Old 07-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
phq chevy-for some members it would be better to keep their mouth shut and be thought of stupid instead of typing things and erasing all doubt-and by all means i do not mean you-good info on the engine then trans then tc alignment and explanation of the tq management-
Hmm, that's an interesting response that I wasn't expecting...

I do do a lot of research on the internet and a lot of searching the forums before posting questions.

I had a legitimate question regarding a option with custom programing. I want my truck to still be reliable, yet have everything that is available to me when I need/want it. I don't want to be snapping U-joints left and right, or cause my transmission to give out in 10k miles.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 PM
The ECU has a system built into the tune programed in it that limits the amount of torque that is allowed to be produced by the engine and transfered to the drive train. The ECU will limit the timing advancement, cam advancement, electronic throttle control, and locking and unlocking the torque converter. It also takes into consideration the amount of "load" on the engine, so if you are towing or hauling something, it will allow more torque to be produced. With the newer electronic throttle control systems (drive by wire), a servo motor controls the opening and closing of the throttle bodies butterfly valve. What this means is that you may be giving it full throttle at the gas peddle, but the throttle body isn't actually at full throttle, the ECU's torque management system is limiting it. It will also unlock your torque converter so it will slip and not allow all of the torque to be transfered to the transmission. All in all, what it means is that your truck has A LOT more to give you, but the tune programed in the ECU is limiting it because it thinks it knows what you really need.
I give your write-up a 80%, there will always be thing missing, but some of what you said is off.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Suspended
Torque management is a very over-used term. Most fords employ very little if any of it.

Now there is torque reduction on shifts, but in some cases its a good thing, as it helps the shift complete faster on very high torque vehicles.

And there is also throttle rate limiting, but once your foot is into it for more than a second or two that is gone.

Now a tune can modify those things and make the vehicle perform much better.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Justin@VMP
Torque management is a very over-used term. Most fords employ very little if any of it.

Now there is torque reduction on shifts, but in some cases its a good thing, as it helps the shift complete faster on very high torque vehicles.

And there is also throttle rate limiting, but once your foot is into it for more than a second or two that is gone.

Now a tune can modify those things and make the vehicle perform much better.
Thats what I'm talking about. What failures could result from these modifications? Is it safe and keeps the truck reliable? Will it interfere with towing/hauling?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just an FYI; The more a torque converter slips the more it is multiplying the torque. In 4Low you want all the torque that you can get.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Suspended
Thats what I'm talking about. What failures could result from these modifications? Is it safe and keeps the truck reliable? Will it interfere with towing/hauling?
It's very possible to create tunes that will improve performance but not hurt anything.

Quick Reply: Disabling The Torque Management System