installed new tunes and truck goes into engine failure mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing that was wrong was the tuning for the intake?

Now you must be joking.

Everytime you steped on teh gas the fuse that controlled (working from memory here) all the 02 sensors, the cps, the maf, and I think several cam sensors blew.

If you idled it didnt blow but as soon as you steped on the gas it blew and went into failsafe mode.

the tune was not blowing fuses and I tried stock tunes as well as a variety of other tunes that the dealer sent me to try and fix this problem.

I dont feel like aruging with a 14K post know it all. I am sure you have all the answers and could tell me everything I dont know.

I dont need to learn from this experience, I learned enough already.

Where were you when it was still broken down with all your answers...would have been great to have you tell me what to do then and save me the 2K I lost in the process.

I talked to two different sct dealers and neither of them could tell me what was wrong, even sct themselves couldnt tell me, but here I find all the answers.

here go ahead and get your 16,474th post out of this.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
The only thing that was wrong was the tuning for the intake?

Now you must be joking.

Everytime you steped on teh gas the fuse that controlled (working from memory here) all the 02 sensors, the cps, the maf, and I think several cam sensors blew.

If you idled it didnt blow but as soon as you steped on the gas it blew and went into failsafe mode.

the tune was not blowing fuses and I tried stock tunes as well as a variety of other tunes that the dealer sent me to try and fix this problem.

I dont feel like aruging with a 14K post know it all. I am sure you have all the answers and could tell me everything I dont know.

I dont need to learn from this experience, I learned enough already.

Where were you when it was still broken down with all your answers...would have been great to have you tell me what to do then and save me the 2K I lost in the process.

I talked to two different sct dealers and neither of them could tell me what was wrong, even sct themselves couldnt tell me, but here I find all the answers.

here go ahead and get your 16,474th post out of this.
I'll get one. Good luck with your truck.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Suspended
Wow ...

Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Vesteroid, I can easily see why you are so bent out of shape - I'd be too!

But, these trucks are flippin' complicated! Anytime you mess with something that is controlled by a computer, you are dealing with areas over which you have no control. I'm a computer programmer, I know what I'm talking about here. Unless you have access to the binary code and can disassemble it and understand what each instruction is doing, you are asking for trouble if you try any modifications.

I guess, the way I would have approached your mod process, would be to research as much as I could, each mod. And, I'd only try them one at a time after I felt comfortable with what each could do. And, that would include reading what "articulate" posters had to say about each mod and how they went about doing it. And I'd probably not do one if I couldn't install it myself.

I'm troubled by your e-fans. What do they do that needs direct contact with the PCM? There may be interaction here that is causing your problems.

But finally, who put the program in your SCT? Is this guy reliable? Did you research him the way most of us chose our tuning "experts"? Did you get lots of valid testimonials about him? Somehow, I think this device is to blame and it's too bad SCT won't make it right. The programming device falls into the catagory of a mod that "I can't do myself" (because I don't write the code). So, I had to feel VERY confident in the product before I took the leap. And, that included talking to the guy who wrtes the code.

I'm sorry if this all sounds like "you shoulda....". I don't mean it that way. Some lessons are expensive. I've learned a few of those. I honestly hope you get your truck working properly soon. I'd hate to be in your shoes.

- Jack

Old 07-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Jack your email is logical and well presented.

I did a ton of research on my vendor. they are well known and from what I can tell well respected.

I dont want to drag him into this. while I think he could have done more, as I said in the earlier post I made the decision to mod and I need to live with the results. I dont believe I have done anything wrong except make the decision to mod.

Overall the vendor was a nice guy and tried to help, he simply was only willing to go so far.

This will be my last post on the topic, as its already been beaten to death.

I have sold the truck and bought a new king ranch which will remian bone stock.

Thanks for all the advice and input guys.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Something here just doesn't add up.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Stealth
Something here just doesn't add up.
Don't be a crazy know it all !!

Quick Reply: installed new tunes and truck goes into engine failure mode