My Edge review

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Edge review

I recently purchased an edge programmer, I was kind of scepticle because so many guys told me "ahhhhhh....you should have bought ? not an edge". But anyways it came in the mail and I put it in. It is so easy to install and looks great mounted on the dash, I love the live display. My biggest complaint with the truck is the lazy shifts and constant torque convertor unlocking and then downshifting. I set the edge on level 2 because I run 87 octane and wanted the transmission shifting fixed. Well to everyone that told me it was a mistake to buy the edge.......you have no idea what you are talking about, it is perfect the shifts are right on and the power is very noticable. I didn't buy my truck to be a hot rod racecar but to pull my trailer, it pulls it with ease but the convertor doesn't unlock everytime you start up a hill. The edge far surpased my expectations. To anyone looking at buying one and are leiry don't be....go for it. Monday I get my Magnaflow exhaust put on.....can't wait.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Every truck is different, I'm sure some react very well to the Edge. Mine sure didn't, but I'm glad you are happy with it.

Little piece of advice though: Do NOT put a Cold Air Intake system on with the Edge.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Glad to hear you're happy with your purchase. If you ever do decide to do a CAI kit or other modifications, we offer a custom tuning upgrade for the Evo that will bring out the best of those modifications.

Enjoy!

Bill

Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Edge research!

I am going to be putting Edge in my truck for towing/mileage reasons. Right now in Vancouver, Canada area we are paying roughly $5.70/gal for 87 octane. What effect does having CAI, etc..have on the programmer?? Is it an easy fix?? Thanx in advance!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by topperman
I am going to be putting Edge in my truck for towing/mileage reasons. Right now in Vancouver, Canada area we are paying roughly $5.70/gal for 87 octane. What effect does having CAI, etc..have on the programmer?? Is it an easy fix?? Thanx in advance!
No, the Edge is designed for stock air intakes. Adding an air intake will cause the vehicle to run lean, possibly throwing a CEL, possibly causing an odd drone issue that a few of us have experienced. If you plan on running an air intake in the future, just pick up a custom tuned Xcal2, Xcal3, or Gryphon.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 AM
Topperman,

Being that you are in Canada, make sure you do everything in one shot to avoid having to fool around with customs as much as possible. We do quite a bit of business with Canadian customers and the one problem we fight is that either the packages take forever to arrive or you get nailed to the wall with duties. Either way, it stinks. If you are lookng for an Evolution but need custom tuning for a CAI kit, then we can offer you the Gryphon programmer which is the same hardware as the Evolution, only all black.

As Thumper mentioned, you can also use an XCal to meet your needs for custom tuning.

Take care.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Superchip!!

Talked to Edge directly and even they said don't do it! Opinions on Superchip?? Seems to be readily available to get up here and seems to do what I need! Thanx

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by topperman
Talked to Edge directly and even they said don't do it! Opinions on Superchip?? Seems to be readily available to get up here and seems to do what I need! Thanx
I strongly advise you to go with the Gryphon from PHP or the Xcal2 from VMP. Both have custom tunes which is what you need with a CAI. Custom tunes are required to get the most benefit from the CAI as well as to protect you from running lean.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM
You could always hit Bill up at PHP for a custom tune for $50. I have a CIA an my FX4 with NO drone or codes with one of Bills tunes. Yes his tunes work with an Edge, which I also have. If you think your Edge is good now, just try it with a custom tune it gets even better.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Mach-1
You could always hit Bill up at PHP for a custom tune for $50. I have a CIA an my FX4 with NO drone or codes with one of Bills tunes. Yes his tunes work with an Edge, which I also have. If you think your Edge is good now, just try it with a custom tune it gets even better.
Bill can not write tunes for the Edge anymore. If you want custom tunes on your Edge, you have to send your unit in to PHP and get a new "Gryphon".

Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Bill can not write tunes for the Edge anymore. If you want custom tunes on your Edge, you have to send your unit in to PHP and get a new "Gryphon".
He just did for mine. He converts it to a Gryphon with the tune. No need to send it in.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
He just did for mine. He converts it to a Gryphon with the tune. No need to send it in.

Tell me more, I want an AF1 but waiting because I don't want to send the edge in?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Suspended
Things have changed ... Edge believed it was going to become a problem with them getting CARB approved so you actually have to "upgrade" your Edge to a Gryphon with the new firmware and case.

Originally Posted by king quadder
Tell me more, I want an AF1 but waiting because I don't want to send the edge in?
Make sure you buy the 3.0" tube and not the 3.5" tube.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Things have changed ... Edge believed it was going to become a problem with them getting CARB approved so you actually have to "upgrade" your Edge to a Gryphon with the new firmware and case..
That sucks if it is true, I am in Canada and have shipped stuff back before and got double charged.....hope there is a way!

[/QUOTE]Make sure you buy the 3.0" tube and not the 3.5" tube.[/QUOTE]

Why not get the 3.5? Sorry for all the questions!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Suspended
The 3.5" tube is VERY hard to tune for with "mail order" tunes. Troyer will even tell you that and he's been selling them forever. It's possible to tune for them with a mail order tune but it's not advised. The power difference is not too much so there's no real reason to get it unless you're going to be getting a dyno tune.

Quick Reply: My Edge review