E mail tunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E mail tunes

I am very interested in ordering custom tunes online from one of the reputable tuners, however am a bit weary. How accurately can these guys tune a vehicle without ever seeing it - and how much less accurate would it be if the vehicle had say; LT's, Cats, Exhaust, E-fans + CAI??

I would really like to add the power and performance of a tune + CAI... but i dont want to have to buy a datalogging kit and go through all of that malarchy.

What should I expect going down this route? thanks for the input.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM
most will give you a couple sheets to fill out with all of the information about the truck. all ur mods, vin number, even how often you have maintained the truck. they will then set up a tune which more than likely is going to be a lil on safe side. if you get a xcal2 or xcal3 you can datalog using it and a laptop then send the info to your tuner by email. he can then adjust tune if needed. Saying that, troyer nailed mine on first time with my lightning. I had an email tune and then went to one of his dyno days. Only took one pull and found that tune was spot on.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
?

Originally Posted by Mickey_shouse
most will give you a couple sheets to fill out with all of the information about the truck. all ur mods, vin number, even how often you have maintained the truck. they will then set up a tune which more than likely is going to be a lil on safe side. if you get a xcal2 or xcal3 you can datalog using it and a laptop then send the info to your tuner by email. he can then adjust tune if needed. Saying that, troyer nailed mine on first time with my lightning. I had an email tune and then went to one of his dyno days. Only took one pull and found that tune was spot on.
same experience here with troyer

Old 07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
^^^ Better make that +2 for Troyer.

I bought a package of mods plus an Xcal2 with 3 tunes from them.
Went to the dyno, datalogged and it was spot on with no adjustment needed.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Suspended
Same thing here with VMP Tuning.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Suspended
I've had similar combos on my dyno before, and just like ford does not dynotune every truck from the factory, we don't have to either.

However, if you are willing to spend the extra money, have a good local tuner, and want every last bit out of the truck, then definitely have it dynotuned.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the insight guys really. I'll be emailing you today justin!

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Hopefully my troyer experience will be the same. So far, Glenn has been great about providing me with info and helping me along. I don't care WHO you go to for your tunes, as long as they take care of you and your truck, thats the key.

Troyer, Justin, and Bill at PHP all seem to be those guys, the ones we can trust to do it right.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
My mailed Troyer tune is so/so with my 3.5" intake. I was happy with it at first but the more I've been driving it over the last 6 months the less I like it.

The truck runs OK and idles fine but I do notice there are some gaps in the power band for sure. You'll be accelerating normally and the power will cut in/out at certain points in the power band. It's done this ever since I got the tuner but I just got used to it.

I plan on having the truck dyno tuned soon because I'm tired of the Troyer tune. Extremely jerky shifts, not to mention the hesitation on the top end before shifts as well as the in/out power. And I also got better gas mileage with my Edge than I do with Troyer tune + 3.5" intake.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
My mailed Troyer tune is so/so with my 3.5" intake. I was happy with it at first but the more I've been driving it over the last 6 months the less I like it.

The truck runs OK and idles fine but I do notice there are some gaps in the power band for sure. You'll be accelerating normally and the power will cut in/out at certain points in the power band. It's done this ever since I got the tuner but I just got used to it.

I plan on having the truck dyno tuned soon because I'm tired of the Troyer tune. Extremely jerky shifts, not to mention the hesitation on the top end before shifts as well as the in/out power. And I also got better gas mileage with my Edge than I do with Troyer tune + 3.5" intake.
Interesting. I really like my tunes from PHP.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Suspended

I want to say I told you so but I won't !!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Custom tuning is the best thing ive done for my truck, by far!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I also got better gas mileage with my Edge than I do with Troyer tune + 3.5" intake.

You don't say? A cold air intake, and a custom tune which adds more fuel to compensate for the extra air, results in less mileage?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fifty150
You don't say? A cold air intake, and a custom tune which adds more fuel to compensate for the extra air, results in less mileage?
HaHaHa

Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
I think we can all agree that if gas milage was on the top of our minds we wouldnt be driving 4 speed 4500 lb bricks.

which is why i cancelled my order for those "iffy" E-fans and have decided to go ahead with a tune instead!

Quick Reply: E mail tunes