going to the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on your dealer. Are they mod friendly? I've got a dealer who doesn't care and knows about all of my mods. Service manager loves my car and has a S197 Mustang as well. After he rode in my car, he ended up buying some stuff for his own. Some dealers hate modifications and will tell you to go take a hike.

Originally Posted by rednoved
id say less than 5 minutes. unless you are the person that walks around the truck, checks the tire pressure, adjusts seat, adjusts mirrors, and fastens your seatbelt all before turning the key. unless thats a habit for you, i really dont see it taking that long.

i agree though. 30 seconds....
It's a little different at the dealer than with our programmers ...

Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113

It's a little different at the dealer than with our programmers ...
I must have read wrong. I was under the impression they were talking about removing the gryphon, not reflashing.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Suspended
It's cool.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by rednoved
I must have read wrong. I was under the impression they were talking about removing the gryphon, not reflashing.
rednoved - I was talking about reflashing the PCM before removing the Gryphon. It's what I do anytime I take my truck back to the dealer. Returning the PCM to "stock" reflashes it, using the Gryphon as a programmer.

Then, when I get my truck home, I simply reload the previous settings for Level 2 into the Gryphon and reflash the PCM again. This is not rocket science, and it takes very little time.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would not take the small amount of time this takes to safeguard their setup.

Perhaps someone can tell me why this is not a good idea?

- Jack

Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Suspended
This is what I was talking about ...

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Hey, it's ok with me if you don't want to take the extra small precaution of changing back to stock before giving your truck to the dealer. However, I don't trust Ford at all. They want to protect themselves against any possible claims of poor workmanship or bad design. If they decide a reflash (which costs essentially nothing and takes all of 30 seconds) might possibly "cover up" some design flaw, then I rather imagine they'll do it.
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
No urban legend. It has happened to a couple of guys and made their tuner worthless. It shouldn't happen while getting an oil change, but there have been cases where the tech saw there was an upgrade suggested for a particular strategy and reflashed it. There have also been instances when a truck was in for other maintenance and they ended up reflasing it. I always tell the guy writing the ticket that they are not to touch the computer without getting my permission. It should be less of a problem with the newer trucks as they are coming with better programs in them. Back in 2004 and 2005, the strategies were terrible and needed reflashing.
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
30 Seconds?! The process feels like it takes forever with all the key-on and key-offs as well as the DTC scans during the process. My guess would be a good solid 10 min if you were quick. I have seen some techs take 30min flashing a vehicle.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Thumper, forgive me. I'm just not getting what you are saying. Blame it on my old age if you'd like.

- Jack

Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Ive heard with the tuners even if you return it to stock they can still see that there once was a tuner on the truck and can still void the warranty because of it!!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Suspended
Thumper, forgive me. I'm just not getting what you are saying. Blame it on my old age if you'd like.
Earlier in the thread you we were discussing the Ford dealer reflashing the PCM and that's where the 30 minute comment was made. Now you said you were talking about reflashing the Gryphon. That's all. I was confused and I was trying to clarify for rednoved.

Originally Posted by one5oh2nv
Ive heard with the tuners even if you return it to stock they can still see that there once was a tuner on the truck and can still void the warranty because of it!!
OMFG O RLY !? Here we go again ...

Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Earlier in the thread you we were discussing the Ford dealer reflashing the PCM and that's where the 30 minute comment was made. Now you said you were talking about reflashing the Gryphon. That's all. I was confused and I was trying to clarify for rednoved.
Actually, I was talking about reflashing the PCM all the time. Probably though, I was not being clear. The Gryphon gets "flashed" when you load a tune into it using the Pegasus software running on a PC. Once the Gryphon has it's tunes loaded, it is used to flash the PCM's programmable ROM.

Because I'm going to take my truck in to the dealer soon for a wheel alignment and oil change, I just went ahead and reflashed the PCM to stock. It took 14 seconds from the time I turned the key ON to start the process. I didn't time the setup part where I pressed the menu button to select reprogramming and then chose the stock setting, but I think that took about 10 seconds. So, I don't really know why a dealer should spend 30 minutes to load what is essentially a "canned" tune that was sent from Ford into the PCM.

Since the process is so simple and takes so little time, I see it as insurance against bigger problems.

- Jack

Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I know whats going on.

The original topic was about removing the gryphon.
Jack was saying it only takes about 30 seconds to remove the gryphon and reflash the PCM(done by the gryphon, NOT A FORD TECH.) That statement was misunderstood, and other people thought he was referring to a ford tech reflashing the PCM.
From my understanding, the process for these are different, thus the dissagreement in times.

To the OP. I would set your truck back to stock, then remove the gryphon.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Back from the oil change, no reflash.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Suspended
Because I'm going to take my truck in to the dealer soon for a wheel alignment and oil change, I just went ahead and reflashed the PCM to stock. It took 14 seconds from the time I turned the key ON to start the process. I didn't time the setup part where I pressed the menu button to select reprogramming and then chose the stock setting, but I think that took about 10 seconds. So, I don't really know why a dealer should spend 30 minutes to load what is essentially a "canned" tune that was sent from Ford into the PCM.
With everything else out of mind, you're still thinking it's going to be the same time frame between flashing your vehicle with the Gryphon vs the dealer. It's not. The dealer's software and hardware takes a lot longer to load. It normally takes a tech about 15 minutes to do it but we've all seen guys that had bathroom breaks for another 15 minutes.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
With everything else out of mind, you're still thinking it's going to be the same time frame between flashing your vehicle with the Gryphon vs the dealer. It's not. The dealer's software and hardware takes a lot longer to load. It normally takes a tech about 15 minutes to do it but we've all seen guys that had bathroom breaks for another 15 minutes.
Yep, you're right about my hangup here Thumper. I've taught programming and microprocessor design at the university level for 20 years. I know something about what goes into the process of flashing a ROM. (And I know what takes place).

However, I CAN accept that a dealer's programmer might take longer to initialize, since it is more of a "general-purpose" device that is used to program PCMs in a variety of different models of vehicles. So, I suppose it might take a bit of time for the device to initialize so that it could program the PCM in my 2005 f150 as opposed to programming the PCM in your Mustang. It's hard to believe it would take 15 minutes, but, maybe....

Once initialized though, the time to actually flash the ROM in the PCM should be very short (unless it's communicating at 300 baud like the old telephone modems).

- Jack

Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
most techs that work with Ford paying the bill get a flat rate. dosent matter how long it takes, they get paid the same.
most get paid by the job, not by the hour.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
most techs that work with Ford paying the bill get a flat rate. dosent matter how long it takes, they get paid the same.
most get paid by the job, not by the hour.
Right, the workers get screwed, I know that. Ford sets up "times" to do jobs and that's what you pay the dealer for - if it takes less time, you still pay full price and the dealer pockets the difference. If the worker finds the job takes longer than specified, he doesn't get paid any more than the defined amount.

If I don't have it quite right, I'm sure everyone will correct me.

- Jack

Quick Reply: going to the dealer...