1715 Modified Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1715 Modified Tuning

"Long time listener, first time caller"...have been poking around the site for the past 18 months since I started shopping for and purchased my F150. I have a question about custom settings on the 87 Octane tune on the Superchips 1715. I have seen the "use the search function" responses to a lot of posts; I have done some searching, how much is enough? The last hour and a half today +++...maybe not enough and I could search the rest of the afternoon, but have productivity obligations at the job too.

Anyway, here goes...I have made the recommended 2 notch adjustment from ShiftPoint 2-3 (see, I have been poking around!) What I am experiencing that I would like to "fix" is that from a stop at a corner, going to a right or left turn, by the time I am straight and would like to feel the pull of strong acceleration, I have already shifted into 2nd gear. Strong throttle now results in an abrupt downshift (and unimpressed passengers if there happens to be passengers present, or just general annoyance on my part). Can I make a 1-2 shift point, or shift pressure, adjustment that will keep me in 1st just a bit longer? I understand I can adapt my driving habits, but am wondering if I can adapt the tune to me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Love the forum and technical excellence here.

BTW, 2002 F-150, 5.4, AF-1 Intake, Superchips 1715 (if that stuff doesn't show up in my signature or elsewhere)

Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 87 setting because I went straight to 93 and have never looked back. Now for the details: the first thing I noticed was the power improvement, second was the firmer shifts along with extended RPMs before shifting to the next gear. The big surprise is 2 mpg gain in fuel milage [ when I keep my foot out of it].
Hope this helps. I always say for the $209 I paid on ebay I'm pleased but if I had paid full price [est. $399] not sure the pleasure would be as good.

Last edited by torkum; 07-08-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Your 87 Tune on the Handheld Superchips really does nothing performance wise. 93 is where it's at!

That being said, 87 just rerally firms up the shifts, and raises the speed limiters, ect..ect... but with out the hp/trq gain.

Switch over to the 93, and you should solve the lazy tranny and it wanting to **** into 2nd so soon.

Next mod, GEARS!!! You either have 3.55's or 3.73's from the factory. BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hope that helps

Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
OK, I will try the 93 Octane tune. Actually, I was quite pleased with the 87; felt a noticeable improvement over stock. Maybe my expectations are low...

Gears...yes have stock 3.55s with open differential. Future planned mods are 15609 Magnaflow Cat-back and eFans. Would like to do some type of a LS setup in the rear diff, maybe gears at the same time, but 3.73s aren't enough? I don't want to gear down so far I can't run 80 mph on the expressway.

Thanks for the feedback

Quick Reply: 1715 Modified Tuning