Edge and Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge and Exhaust.

I have on 05' XLT SuperCab and I'm running with the Edge Evo. It's been great until recentley when my wife bought me new exhaust for fathers day. Nothing crazy just new muffler (1 in 2 out) dumped at the rear axle. I pull a boat quite a bit and total weight w/trailer is around 2000 lbs. Everytime I start to climb a hill, I would loose all kinds of power and speed, my truck would basically be maxed and barely pull the hill. I have it on Level 2 with WOT at 1.5 and Shift Firmness at 2 all the way around. I'm also running on ProComp 305 65 R17 Mud Terrain XT's. Any ideas why I'm dying on the hills?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I have the same setup, edge and magnaflow si/do but never had a power problem? Mine runs way better towing now, does it do it without the trailer on or just when you are towing?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I haven't noticed it when I'm not towing, but then again it doesn't have to work that hard either. I actually took it back to Level 1 (Tranny Only) and it ran a whole lot better. It almost seems to be leaning out, but I thought that was only a problem with CAI's.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Thats what it sounds like....leaning out. I haven't experienced that yet and I am running on level 2 as well. I don't have a CAI yet just a drop in K&N......

Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
An exhaust will not cause you to run lean. Only an intake. An exhaust system just gets rid of the exhaust created. I suspect that you have lost some torque due to a reduction of back pressure.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Chevymynutz
I have on 05' XLT SuperCab and I'm running with the Edge Evo. It's been great until recentley when my wife bought me new exhaust for fathers day. Nothing crazy just new muffler (1 in 2 out) dumped at the rear axle. I pull a boat quite a bit and total weight w/trailer is around 2000 lbs. Everytime I start to climb a hill, I would loose all kinds of power and speed, my truck would basically be maxed and barely pull the hill. I have it on Level 2 with WOT at 1.5 and Shift Firmness at 2 all the way around. I'm also running on ProComp 305 65 R17 Mud Terrain XT's. Any ideas why I'm dying on the hills?
What do you have set at WOT 1.5? The timing? or the fuel?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I didn't think that was the case, but I wasn't sure. I have WOT Fuel set at 1.5

Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Global Moderator &

I didn't think that was the case, but I wasn't sure. I have WOT Fuel set at 1.5
That should be fine. What exhaust did you install?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I plan converting to a Gryphon soon. I want to be able to do more to my truck and I don't like being limited by the Edge. It'll have to do for now until I can afford to upgrade.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:15 PM
From what the guy said, it's supposed to be a Flowmaster knock off. His rep told him that they are made in the same plant but that they don't stamp them. I guess flowmaster lost the patent or something like that. I should probably know more about the exhaust then I do, but I will have to do some digging to find out exactly.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Global Moderator &

From what the guy said, it's supposed to be a Flowmaster knock off. His rep told him that they are made in the same plant but that they don't stamp them. I guess flowmaster lost the patent or something like that. I should probably know more about the exhaust then I do, but I will have to do some digging to find out exactly.
I think that answers your question. Flowmaster is known for it's loss of torque. I chose one because I like the sound and torque is not that important to me. It's all in it's design. I felt it imeddiatly after my install. If you need to torque back, reinstall your stock muffler or get a Magnaflow.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
An exhaust will not cause you to run lean. Only an intake. An exhaust system just gets rid of the exhaust created. I suspect that you have lost some torque due to a reduction of back pressure.
Correct. We're talking about a muffler replacement, not long tube headers and offroad mid pipe.

The Flowmasters are known for losing some tq but honestly it's not so much that you're going to notice and question where your power is ... I think something else is going on with your tune or your truck. Is the power worse than stock? Or just not like before with the tune? If it's better than stock still, just worse than when you first loaded the tune, I know what the problem is ... These trucks use adaptive learning processes in the factory PCM that adjust the tune, even when it's been reprogrammed. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes. I bet it fixes it.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I'll have to give that a try....It's way worse than stock, When I took it back to level 1 which only changes the way it shifts, it ran like a champ. I'd hate to have to replace the muffler so hopefully this works. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Suspended
Well if you switched it back to the transmission only setting and it was fine than how would it be the muffler? Sounds like you've got another issue with the Edge. Bill still helps diagnose and fix problems on the Edge so shoot him an email in the mean time. Usually when you reprogram a vehicle, it's going to clear the KAM data and do the same thing that I told you to do. However, I'm not completely sure if it clears ALL of the data like removing the negative terminal for 15-30 minutes. It's still worth a shot ...

Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 AM
I was under the impression that the Edge was designed to work within the parameters of a stock F-150 and that when you start changing things it has a hard time. So that is why I thought the exhaust had something to do with it since it didn't start until after I got my new muffler. In the transmission only setting it isn't changing fuel delivery or anything like that so it seems to run better. I am going to try unhooking the battery for awhile still and see where that gets me. Once again thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Edge and Exhaust.