edge evo mismatched programming?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edge evo mismatched programming?

First off this is on a diesel evolution. eef 1220

However has anyone else ever came accross this scenario?

I programed my truck on tow tune but instead it loaded a performance tune.

I returned to stock and reprogramed the truck and it appears as if the tow tune is lost and it must revert to a performance tune or something along that lines as it will not program a tow tune, even though the display shows tow safe.

And incase you wonder no its not a good idea to tow with a performance tune on a diesel with increased cyl pressures, for the fist time my truck vented coolant. BTW i also have arp head studs, i never reached high egt's so im asuuming there must have been some wild timing or something that caused that.

Not to impressed as if this can happen how do we know what program we are actually running?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
just to update:

My edge was a custom tuned edge (before bill was not allowed to custom tune them)

Anyway i updated my edge via fusion software and now i have lost my custom tune but im hoping when i select tow tune i actually get tow tune.

So my question still is anyone with and edge or gryphon have the mismatch or lost tune concern?

These tuning devices are all starting to annoy me, had some problems with my predator, problems with my edge.

The only one that i seemed to have no real problems with was my old school limited adjustability superchips mircrotuner 1715. Sometimes simple is good.

I was told from edge not to use the adjustable options as it could cause problems (which it did) so why offer it then and tout it as a selling feature? Now this problem

My predator will not shift at the selected rpm, but again in their defense that was with a custom predator tune from RWTD (boooo!!!!) however when canned it would work flawlessly.(only problem was no allowance for the mafia in a canned tune)

Someday i would like to find a tuning device that actually works properly, and that you can trust that your getting what your seeing.

Last edited by sonic blue l; 07-10-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Suspended
If you want something else to try out, get a custom tuned Xcal2 or Xcal3.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Well im getting Eric Brooks to custom tune my lightning so i don't have to deal with RWTD anymore.

He can tune with either predator or sct, if he tells me sct is so much better then i will go sct, if not i will keep my predator.

I'm just looking for a tuning device that actually tunes likes its supposed too, can't see why thats such a problem. And by " tuning the way its supposed to ", i mean, if i input variables or set parmeters, or choose a specific tune file by name, then that should be EXACTLY what my pcm is programed too.

I have heard of problems with sct aswell, livewire (enough said).

Thus, i need a " custom tuned " 1715 as it has been the only tuner that actually has programed a vehilce to the selected parameters.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go for an XCal2 they're dependable

Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah man im sure this isnt the answer you are looking for but I figured i would say it anyway.
Xcal 3 with Innovative Diesel tunes is the way to go. You will get waaay more out of that than what the edge can provide.
I love mine. Just an FYI

Old 07-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by theanimal
Yeah man im sure this isnt the answer you are looking for but I figured i would say it anyway.
Xcal 3 with Innovative Diesel tunes is the way to go. You will get waaay more out of that than what the edge can provide.
I love mine. Just an FYI
I've heard about innovative and i was planning on getting one before the edge, however the edge had built in guages and i got a good deal plus a $50 cash back.

With that said the only program i ever had problem with on the edge was the level 4 as it had too much power and would result in egt's higher then i liked. I then had bill custom tune me a lower powered street type tune. The street tune was exactly what i wanted and had no complaints.

The problem is the tuning device or whatever caused it to not be able to program the tow tune, it only programed the tow tune once after the edge was custom tuned and then it would no longer program the tow tune. The problem resulted when i pulled with a street tune when i thought i was using the tow tune.

I now have the tow tune loading properly now that i updated my edge, however now i no longer have my custom tune as it dissapeared with the update.

I just wished the edge evo would have originally came with the street tune from day one instead of the xtreme tune, all i needed was a happy medium between the tow and extreme.

I guess bottom line though its still my fault as i know better, one should only run stock when towing, but i thought since it was a small load and that i had what i thought was the tow tune installed i would have no problems. With that said i have pulled with the tow tune and never had a problem, but it was actually the tow tune.

I sent Bill and email so i guess i will see if he can shed some light on what happend, but its a warning to others with the edge or gryphon that they may wish to make sure they are actually getting the tune they are selecting.

Quick Reply: edge evo mismatched programming?