Truck Stumbles Now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Stumbles Now!!!

OK, I appoligize if this has been answered before, I searched and didn't find anything.....

I just intsalled the 93 per. tune from VMP this morning, I also installed the 3.5" AF1, and yes I had Justin tune for it. I'm sure I did the install right, I didn't have the instructions, but it's pretty self explanitory. I noticed that when I first started the engine right after install, it ran extremely rough, I checked all the connections and they weren't loose. Started again and same thing, this time I gave it a little gas and it seemed to smooth out. Once it ran for a minute it seems to be fine now.......I guess the computer didn't know what to do with the larger amt of air and it compensated......

Now, when I'm driving normally and get on the gas, (nothing serious like WOT) but you know like 3/4 throttle the truck stumbles. It did this once and then again when I was going up an incline on an overpass.

Is this just the computer having to learn the new program and air intake? It should correct itself right? I'm not getting and CEL's yet!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

OH, by the way, just wanted to say thanks to JDitta, he is an honest, stand up guy.........he is who I bought the intake from. He was very fair and even held the intake for me a couple of weeks while I got the money together. He is a good guy........Thanks Justin!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Hope you like the intake buddy.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Jditta
Hope you like the intake buddy.
Oh, I like it alot, exhaust sounds so much better with it! Sounds good when I hit the throttle. Install went good, I think the stumble issue is more with the computer learning than anything else.....Thanks again!!

Justin, You planning on putting on another intake??? Or you going to leave it stock for now?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by JDeere7296
Oh, I like it alot, exhaust sounds so much better with it! Sounds good when I hit the throttle. Install went good, I think the stumble issue is more with the computer learning than anything else.....Thanks again!!

Justin, You planning on putting on another intake??? Or you going to leave it stock for now?
Most likely stock. I'm tired of running into problems with repairs on my truck and I think the intake will just cause the lean issue. Damn 04's.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you clean and re-oil the filter before you sent it to him Jditta? Did you JDeere? If it was over oiled it could have fouled the MAF

Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 AM
I re-oiled the filter prior to installing it, I did check the MAF to see if could see any oil, I didn't though. It actually ran like this before I oiled the filter also, so I don't think thats what is causing the problem......

Most likely stock. I'm tired of running into problems with repairs on my truck and I think the intake will just cause the lean issue. Damn 04's.

.....Yeah, probably better in the long run, and less headache!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I also had a 3.5" AF1 and ordered VMP tunes specifying that intake. Also had the rough idle issue. After exchanging e-mails with VMP about the issue, come to find out he tunes for the 3" AF1. Said he had never seen an AF1 intake without the "insert" in it (making it a 3" version) and suggested I send mine back to get the insert put in. Wish I would have known BEFORE getting the 3.5" one!!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by 07 Lariat
I also had a 3.5" AF1 and ordered VMP tunes specifying that intake. Also had the rough idle issue. After exchanging e-mails with VMP about the issue, come to find out he tunes for the 3" AF1. Said he had never seen an AF1 intake without the "insert" in it (making it a 3" version) and suggested I send mine back to get the insert put in. Wish I would have known BEFORE getting the 3.5" one!!
Well, that could be.........I hope not. Mine definately doesn't have the sleeve in it.....I'll try an e-mail Justin to see if he actually tuned my for it.....

Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I didn't know that about the sleeve or him not tuning for that suze AF1 Andy or I would have let you know before I sold it to you.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM
I didn't know that about the sleeve or him not tuning for that suze AF1 Andy or I would have let you know before I sold it to you.
No worries Justin, even if Justin didn't tune for that size, there was know way you could have known anyway. Heck, I've read just about every post about tunes and AF1 on the site and haven't heard about this. I just assumed that he knew that the 3.5" didn't have the sleeve! I e-mailed him awhile ago, I'll let you know what he says.

It's no big deal, if that is the case, I'm sure he can tweak the tunes to compensate........

Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by JDeere7296
No worries Justin, even if Justin didn't tune for that size, there was know way you could have known anyway. Heck, I've read just about every post about tunes and AF1 on the site and haven't heard about this. I just assumed that he knew that the 3.5" didn't have the sleeve! I e-mailed him awhile ago, I'll let you know what he says.

It's no big deal, if that is the case, I'm sure he can tweak the tunes to compensate........
And lookin forward to gettin that knife, its gonna be a real good birthday present today! And I'm sure Justin can get you fixed up, he's really good.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Suspended
So did you send Justin at VMP an email? That'd be your best bet.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
And lookin forward to gettin that knife, its gonna be a real good birthday present today! And I'm sure Justin can get you fixed up, he's really good.
Today's your birthday? Happy Birthday!!!!! Should be in mail today, USPS priority is usually 2-3 days. Hope you like it!!!!

I'm sure he can, I don't doubt it......I've ran around town a few times today, still haven't gotten any codes poping up. I know it can still run lean without any codes being displayed though.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
So did you send Justin at VMP an email? That'd be your best bet.
yep, I agree

Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
yep, I agree
Yeah I did, I'll wait to see what he says............

Quick Reply: Truck Stumbles Now!!!