Gryphon/Edge Set-up question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
No, it's actually a 17 ft HI-Lo trailer, that collapses to 71 inches for towing but rises to a normal trailer height for "living" - all at the push of a switch. It weighs about 3600 pounds.

The high temps were due to me maintaining 65 mph in drive gear going up 6-7% grades at 10-11,000 feet. I was passing all the other RVs. (Maybe I shouldn't have pushed it that hard)!

My truck DOES have the factory tow option with a transmission cooler. I only got to the 210 mark briefly twice. On slower stretches, (curvy roads), I'd just lock the transmission in second and it would pull cooler.

It runs about 165 or so in the desert over low hills while towing.

I've kept my eye on the transmission fluid - looks nice and pink, but I'll be changing it sooner than at 100,000 miles.

I was more surprised at the oil temperature and how sensitive it is to high RPMs.

- Jack

Well, I was close, both trailers had wheels!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I was surprised about the oil as well. It will be about the same as the coolant tmp at 65 mph but at 80 or so, it is hotter.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I was surprised about the oil as well. It will be about the same as the coolant tmp at 65 mph but at 80 or so, it is hotter.
The high RPMs is what really drives the oil temp up. I think it's interesting how the CHT NEVER went above 216 through all this stress. At normal driving (70-75) or 65 pulling the trailer, my oil temp is almost exactly the same as the CHT, about 210-212.

I need to experiment a bit with transmission settings at the higher speeds on inclines. I sort of hate to lock it into second at these speeds but maybe I should see how things run. In third (with the overdrive locked out) it "hunts" back and forth a bit and I'm sure that's what caused the high TFT.

- Jack

Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have mine set on ESPN.

OK seriously I have it set for AMPG, Coolant temp, Intake Temp and Speedometer (as mentioned it's easier to see). I think I had a problem with the oil temp reading(I need to check on that again to make sure).

Quick Reply: Gryphon/Edge Set-up question