Gryphon/Edge Set-up question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gryphon/Edge Set-up question

I just got my Gryphon programmer last week. I am still waiting for Bill's custom tunes. The question I have for everyone is... What does everyone monitor on their display and why? I dont think I need duplicate RPM and Speed gauges. I'd like to hear from everyone. THanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I monitor 4 items. Engine temp, oil temp, and transmission fluid temp. Also, I monitor the mph as the steering wheel blocks my view of the speedometer. I use the monitor constantly.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have instant and average mpg on the bottom 2. then on the top 2 i have rpms and mph. its duplicate, but I like the digital numbers. I really use the guages to help monitor my mpgs and to train the way i drive to be more mpg friendly.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm like Bluejay - I monitor Cylinder Head, Oil and Transmission Fluid temperatures. The CHT stays pretty constant, no matter what, at 210-214. The oil, on the other hand can quickly go from about 211 up to 240+ at high engine RPMs. The Transmission fluid too, can go from a "normal" 145-160 up to 210+ pretty quickly when climbing hills (mountains) and pulling a trailer.

The other thing I like to watch is the battery charging voltage. I have two batteries in my trailer and I like to see that everythng seems to be running on a full charge.

I have full gauges in the dash, so I don't need RPMs and Speed and my truck has the info center that can show average mpg.

- Jack

Old 07-14-2008, 04:16 PM
This is an interesting thread,
As i've always played around with mine and never did do anything permanent or serious, but now that i am using my intake again and will be modifying the intake a bit, I've been using the IAT(sp?) Intake air temperature to primarily monitor the mods I'm making and seeing how Bills tunes reacts.
but for the most part I'm pretty content with a the 3 item display.
AMPG on the left by itself, with TFT-trans temp top left, and IAT bottom left.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Average MPG, Trans Fluid Temp, MPH, and Coolant Temp. I like the mph due to the fact my hand usually blocks the factory mph gauge when I'm driving. A lot easier to see and faster too.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by rednoved
I have instant and average mpg on the bottom 2. then on the top 2 i have rpms and mph. its duplicate, but I like the digital numbers. I really use the guages to help monitor my mpgs and to train the way i drive to be more mpg friendly.

I do mine the same except RPM/MPH on the left and AVG/Instant on the right.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Edge Evolution Set Up

Hi everyone Sorry if I get into your conversation but I wonder if you can help me. I just got the edge evolution this week and I think Im going to need some help with the settings. I was told that this can help me with the fuel economy. I read the manual about this but I need more info about
IMPG....
AMPG...
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Which level is the best one, and what settings should I use
Right now it is connected but i did not do any setting, I can feel a difference in more power by just doing that, I got it on level 1 showing
MPH, RPM ( I like the Digital Reading)
BTW... this is my Vehicle:
2004 F150 V8 4.6 4x2 ( all stock ) .
Thank You guys.

Last edited by Memo05; 07-15-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Global Moderator &

You probably need to re-read the manual. It's not TOO thick and it's written at a fairly elementry level. However:
IMPG is Instantaneous Miles Per Gallon. What the Edge estimates you are using in fuel at the moment you glance at the readout. It will be low if you have your accelerator depressed, high if you are coasting and zero if you are standing still with the engine running.

AMPG is an estimate of how many miles you are getting per gallons of fuel over the last "many" miles, which is not specified. It could be an average over the last 50 miles or the last 100 miles or even for the last 10 minutes of driving. It is not TOO accurate, but obviously higher numbers are better.
Level 1 adjusts shift firmness only. It's designed for 87 octane.

Level 2 is for towing - do you tow? If so, use it, if not, don't.

Level 3 is for high octane gas - don't use it unless you are using at least 91 octane gas. If you use it on low octane gas, you'll get detonation.

Once you choose a "Level" you can customize other things - read the manual! One adjustment you could try is to reduce the speed at which starndard shifts occur. That can help gas mileage.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 07-15-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Removed reference to 93 octane gas
Old 07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I change mine fairly often, right now I'm watching:

Top Left: Average MPG
Top Right: Instant MPG
Bottom Left: Intake Air Temp
Bottom Right: Mass Air Flow g/s

Old 07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I'm like Bluejay - I monitor Cylinder Head, Oil and Transmission Fluid temperatures. The CHT stays pretty constant, no matter what, at 210-214. The oil, on the other hand can quickly go from about 211 up to 240+ at high engine RPMs. The Transmission fluid too, can go from a "normal" 145-160 up to 210+ pretty quickly when climbing hills (mountains) and pulling a trailer.

The other thing I like to watch is the battery charging voltage. I have two batteries in my trailer and I like to see that everythng seems to be running on a full charge.

I have full gauges in the dash, so I don't need RPMs and Speed and my truck has the info center that can show average mpg.

- Jack

Wow, 210 on the trans temp ? I always have that temp up on my display and it has never gone above 162.....I think the big trans cooler helps alot on my truck then. Does anyone elses run that hot?

Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by king quadder
Wow, 210 on the trans temp ? I always have that temp up on my display and it has never gone above 162.....I think the big trans cooler helps alot on my truck then. Does anyone elses run that hot?
Mine is right there with yours, 155 to 165. I think Jack's may be when towing.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Even when towing mine has never gotten that high, now I don't tow that big of a trailer...just mine and a buddy's quad on a landscaper tandem trailer.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by king quadder
Even when towing mine has never gotten that high, now I don't tow that big of a trailer...just mine and a buddy's quad on a landscaper tandem trailer.
I think he tows something like a 26' Camper, plus he is in the desert and hills.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I think he tows something like a 26' Camper, plus he is in the desert and hills.
No, it's actually a 17 ft HI-Lo trailer, that collapses to 71 inches for towing but rises to a normal trailer height for "living" - all at the push of a switch. It weighs about 3600 pounds.

The high temps were due to me maintaining 65 mph in drive gear going up 6-7% grades at 10-11,000 feet. I was passing all the other RVs. (Maybe I shouldn't have pushed it that hard)!

My truck DOES have the factory tow option with a transmission cooler. I only got to the 210 mark briefly twice. On slower stretches, (curvy roads), I'd just lock the transmission in second and it would pull cooler.

It runs about 165 or so in the desert over low hills while towing.

I've kept my eye on the transmission fluid - looks nice and pink, but I'll be changing it sooner than at 100,000 miles.

I was more surprised at the oil temperature and how sensitive it is to high RPMs.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Gryphon/Edge Set-up question