Which Tuner for me???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Tuner for me???

I've been looking around this topic for a while reading about all of the different tuners and so on but I still can't figure out which one would suit me better.

I currently have a 05 F150. My boat that I haul is approx 3000-3900lbs( as seen below in the picture) with the trailer. I read on another post that the Edge on level 2 is more geared for 6000-7000lbs trailers. Most of the area where I live is relatively flat road/highway where towing isn't really an issue. My family has since built a house approximately 2hrs away which goes through some pretty nasty hills...the Coquihalla in BC. I can start out doing about 120kms/phr and by the top I'll be doing 50kms/phr and that's not leaning hard on the truck on the biggest hill.

I don't plan at this time to get into exhaust and an CAI as fuel prices go up the less I want to spend on the truck in performance mods.

So I guess my question is as the top states what route I should go and would it make a big enough difference to make it worth my while. I am always checking out the classified's to try and pick up a used one.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Last edited by Ronix; 07-14-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Suspended
Xcal2 from VMPTuning.com with custom tunes. $395 for the programmer with 3 custom tune files of your choice.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Did you read any other posts on here?? I did a quick search and came up with these:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=1862462

I wish I had a nickel for each one of these posts that asks "What tuner is best?" and for each post Thumper makes!

Kevin

Just playin with you Thump because I always see your posts here and detailing section.

Last edited by khindal; 07-14-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: wording
Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Might as well add my nickel's worth too Kevin!

My situation is not too different from yours, Dave. I drive a stock 2005 KR 4x4 with the factory towing option and pull a trailer that weighs about 3600#. Here in Arizona, it's mostly level driving, but to get away from the heat, we go into the mountains. This can be an 8,000 foot climb up to one of our favorite spots (Mt. Graham). And, we've taken it twice now into the mountains of Colorado, over 11,000+ foot passes.

I have the Gryphon from www.PowerHungryPerformance.com and Bill Cohron wrote a custom 87 octane towing tune for me and my needs. He told me the canned tow tune was not right for the trailer I was pulling.

I'm very pleased with the performance and economy gains using this tune. Here's a link to a thread I started when I upgraded my Edge to a Gryphon: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327716 I talk about the results using the custom tune in my last post.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Which Tuner for me???