VMP Dyno Tuned Yesterday...vid

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VMP Dyno Tuned Yesterday...vid

Well, I got my truck re-tuned by Justin yesterday at VMP. Afterwards, I went home and PM'd Thumper that I had just dyno'd there. Please keep in mind that I live within one mile of Thumpers house and VMP but I've never met Thump. Within 20 mins of me pm'ing Thumper I hear the door bell ring. I opened the door to see a box sitting there and a black Mustang driving off. In the box was a "I LOVE VMP!" t-shirt and a pair of underwear? 30 mins after the box arrived I received a call and it was Thumps Dad. I was invited over for a steak dinner because I had made the VMP switch. The food was good. The Thump family takes VMP seriously...

All kidding aside I do live within one mile of both but I've never met Thump...

Anyway...I LOVE this new tune!!!

I've got a 2006 F-150 with over 62k on it and I bought it brand new. I've had an Edge (which I still have and use as gauges), an Xcal3 mail tuned by Troyer, and now a VMP dyno tune. So I driven enough to notice the difference between the 3. My favorite so far is by far the VMP tune. Thump is jumping up and down at this point.....

When I took my truck in first of all it was hotter than hell in his dyno due to summer in Orlando, we dyno'd the truck with the Troyer tune. I had heard my engine knocking before with this tune and it was quite noticeable and Justin noticed it right away. My truck was also running very rich and my fuel economy had gone down a good bit from when I had my Edge with no intake. That was what sparked me wanting to get it dyno tuned.
Anyway, he played with my truck for a good while...I fell asleep while he was tuning, lol, and he told me it was his first 3.5" intake dyno tune and it was hard to get the A/F right because the thing is so damn big.

He finally got everything right and made some runs. I was happy with the results and when he was done he said lets go for a drive. He got in the passenger seat with his laptop hooked up and we were off. Unfornunately it was pooring rain the whole test drive so I didn't really get to get on it with him in it to test it out. I'm running a 93 perf tune. I had told him I wanted my shifts to be much smoother than Troyers. I HATED Troyers shifts. Felt like the damn truck was going to break the transmission at even the lightest throttle. I had Justin ease them up even more when we went for a ride and now I like it. I immediately noticed the power under the curve was MuCH better. Throttle response was ridiculouls when I took it out. I had a smile ear to ear because it felt like I went from stock to a tune again. I can REALLY feel the advantage of the 4.10's now because the power is so linear. Before my truck would cut in/out all the time in the power as you were accelerating. I think this was due to my A/F being so off from the intake and it was annoying as ****. You'd have the gas in the same place...OK..we have power, wait now we don't, OK, wait....now we do, don't, do....UGH!!!
Now the power feels completely linear. I'm actually excited to drive it again whereas before it was pissing me off and all I wanted to do was go ride my bike.
Now it's awesome! WOT is pretty close with perhaps slightly more umph but under the curve where I normally drive is where I really like it. Justin has it rev higher than Troyer did too so now it stays more in the power band which I like. I'm anxious to get back to the strip. I think it will run in the 15's now for sure.

I ended up making 255whp/318wtq with a dyno temp of 100 degrees & 36% humidtiy. I didn't think that was too bad with the oem 20's considering my mods. Troyer told me once that with the stock 18's I would probably make another 15hp over the 20s. But my whp should equate to around 320hp/398lb/tq @ the crank. And the I believe it because the torque feels great now.

I would suggest to all that if you get a chance have your truck dyno tuned if you can over the mail order based on my experience. I too am jumping on the VMP bandwagon now. Justin was nice and helpful despite me asking him a million questions he took the time to answer them all. Not to say that Troyer couldn't tune a truck on a dyno but considering I live 1 mile from VMP I should have gone with VMP the first time instead of waiting 12 weeks to get my mail order tune.

Anyway....can you tell I like my new tune? lol

And here's a video of a few runs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy0SX-x19sQ

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 07-24-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
would have been cool to do before and afters.

nothing like having someone actually put hands on your vehicle

Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 PM
We did actually but I didn't get a dyno sheet. Troyers actually made the same hp as VMP's but VMP's made those same numbers using far less timing and he also made more torque. Not to mention the power under the curve is better.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
We did actually but I didn't get a dyno sheet. Troyers actually made the same hp as VMP's but VMP's made those same numbers using far less timing and he also made more torque. Not to mention the power under the curve is better.
What curve? The torque is almost completely flat.. Thats awesome.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Suspended
Haha funny stuff. I'm glad you like it, now I hate to do this but, I told you so !!

PS: Did you really PM me? I didn't get one.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 PM
he told me it was his first 3.5" intake dyno tune and it was hard to get the A/F right because the thing is so damn big.

That would make me nervous if I was buying mail order tunes for him since I have the 3.5"AF1.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Y'all are very luck to have great shops close to you.

I have been wanting to take my truck to Dynospeed sometime.

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by whitecrystal1

That would make me nervous if I was buying mail order tunes for him since I have the 3.5"AF1.
Troyer will admit and has already said on here before that the 3.5" is hard to tune for with a mail order tune ...

Old 07-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Within 20 mins of me pm'ing Thumper I hear the door bell ring. I opened the door to see a box sitting there and a black Mustang driving off. In the box was a "I LOVE VMP!" t-shirt and a pair of underwear?

Pics Please

Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Just to clarify...the first paragraph was bs and no I didn't PM you Thump.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Suspended
LMFAO at that first paragraph.

To be fair to Mike, when I had told you the truck was a little rich, you had not told me it still had the towing tune in it. It was only off a few tenths when that was taken into account.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I got my truck re-tuned by Justin yesterday at VMP. Afterwards, I went home and PM'd Thumper that I had just dyno'd there. Please keep in mind that I live within one mile of Thumpers house and VMP but I've never met Thump. Within 20 mins of me pm'ing Thumper I hear the door bell ring. I opened the door to see a box sitting there and a black Mustang driving off. In the box was a "I LOVE VMP!" t-shirt and a pair of underwear? 30 mins after the box arrived I received a call and it was Thumps Dad. I was invited over for a steak dinner because I had made the VMP switch. The food was good. The Thump family takes VMP seriously...
funniest thing about it is that it is so believable.
I read it and thought..."sounds about right"

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Justin@VMP
LMFAO at that first paragraph.

To be fair to Mike, when I had told you the truck was a little rich, you had not told me it still had the towing tune in it. It was only off a few tenths when that was taken into account.

Ah...either way I'm happy with this new tune.

The only thing I don't like about the Xcal vs the Edge is that you can't directly input the tire size to the tea like you can with the Edge. The closest I can get it is 1mph which isn't a huge deal but I'd rather have it dead on.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 07-25-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Suspended
he told me it was his first 3.5" intake dyno tune and it was hard to get the A/F right because the thing is so damn big.
Originally Posted by whitecrystal1

Jeremy posted slightly incorrectly, I have worked on many AF1 3.5" intakes, but this one was a little different than most, which may explain some of the problems he had to begin with.

There is a lot to be said for matching a mass air meter to an engines airflow demands.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan to have Justin do some data log tunes for me, I dunno where to get my truck dyno tuned here in AZ and Ive heard good things about him!

Quick Reply: VMP Dyno Tuned Yesterday...vid