Tuning advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tuning advice

Well I know nothing about programming and tunes, other than its one of the greatest things you can do for your truck. To start, I have a 04 5.4 with just Magnaflow 2.5" true duals.

I am planning a CAI ( probably S&B ), and I wanted to get bilstein 5100 lift struts and swap my tires for more aggressive A/Ts. I also want to add in hi-flow cats which I probably will be doing next week.

What I want to expect out of these modifications and tune is great power when needed, retain the nice smooth shifts, retain the great fuel economy i'm getting ( 16.2 city ) or get even better economy.

So heres the question, I want some recommendations of what to do, who to deal with, and who to call and talk to. I'm not looking to go buying alot of stuff right off the bat, but I do want the tires this fall. Moneys somewhat tight also, I wouldn't want to have to break $400 on a tune. Any help appreciated.

I'm in north central PA also, Unsure if there are any dyno tuning shops local.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think most custom tunes + tuner will be around $400, atleast thats the cost at VMP. i think the Gryphon tunes and tuner are near $500+. not real sure how much Troyer is. best bet would be to wait after you've gotten your tires, shocks, CAI...and then get your tunes so nothing has to be changed and so you have more time to save up. from what i've read, the XCAL2 seems like the most affordable and has a good reputation. i think i've seen some people have troubles with their XCAL3 since its kinda new, whichever you decide you can get both at VMP tuning with custom tunes usually quicker than you can from troyer. if you wanted a tuner than could be mounted on your dash for a cleaner look, you'd have to go to Gryphon, i'm pretty sure they use the edge.

i think thats about all i know about tuning i'm sure thump and bluejay and a few others will chime in any second now though, they'll probably be able to tell you a lot more.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm going to be Thump to this...

Get an Xcal2 or Xcal3 from VMPTuning.com. Check out his website and shoot him an email. Tell him what you're looking for and go from there.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Browsing these threads I've heard alot of positives about VMP. I'll definitely be looking into them. So a custom tune comes with a programmer too? Didn't know that, I thought the custom tunes were computer replacements. So I could do all my mods, then get a custom tune, then if I change a mod I can change it to act more appropriatly with the new mod?

Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I'm going to be Thump to this...

Get an Xcal2 or Xcal3 from VMPTuning.com. Check out his website and shoot him an email. Tell him what you're looking for and go from there.
Hey, no using multiple screen names...

Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Suspended
I agree with Thump, get the Xcal2 or Xcal3 from VMP Tuning. It's $395/$400 with three custom tunes.

Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Hey, no using multiple screen names...
Soon enough I won't even have to post anymore !!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Screw that, drive to Troyer's and get a Dyno Tune. Nothing beats that.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Screw that, drive to the moon and get a Dyno Tune. Nothing beats that.
Fixed.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 PM
And where would that be?

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Screw that, drive to Troyer's and get a Dyno Tune. Nothing beats that.
I would like to get one here in NorThern California but I can not seem to find a shop. Any Ideas?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
Fixed.
Drive to the moon? I take it Troyer is pretty far then Yeah due to my location mail order may be what I'll have to do. Alright i'll give VMP a call and ask about the Xcal2.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Troyer is located in Virginia and would do a great job tuning your truck. Some people don't give unbiased information here. Do your own research and make a decision based on that. Dyno tune would be your best bet done by somebody that knows what he is doing.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Tuning advice