1st Tow with Edge

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Tow with Edge

Just finished my first camping trip using my Edge evo on my 06 F150 5.4 and a 27' TT.
There was a noticeable difference with the low end torque when starting from a complete stop, it really improved in that area. I didn't notice any improvement what so ever with gas mileage, but I really dont expect much when towing a 27 footer :o . The gauges were awesome when it came to keeping an eye on tranny temp, oil temp, coolant temp and battery, it certainly provided piece of mind knowing I wasn't pushing my truck too hard.

My only complaint was the speedo, it was 5km's below the actual speed as indicated by my GPS. Level 2 does this for my truck even if I'm not towing my trailer??????? I adjusted my tires to the proper size but it didnt help. I monitored the speedo in stock & level 1 and it was bang on with the GPS. Anyone know how to rectify this little problem?

Besides the 5km difference I recommend it to anyone who does any type of towing.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Arkas

Just finished my first camping trip using my Edge evo on my 06 F150 5.4 and a 27' TT.
There was a noticeable difference with the low end torque when starting from a complete stop, it really improved in that area. I didn't notice any improvement what so ever with gas mileage, but I really dont expect much when towing a 27 footer :o . The gauges were awesome when it came to keeping an eye on tranny temp, oil temp, coolant temp and battery, it certainly provided piece of mind knowing I wasn't pushing my truck too hard.

My only complaint was the speedo, it was 5km's below the actual speed as indicated by my GPS. Level 2 does this for my truck even if I'm not towing my trailer??????? I adjusted my tires to the proper size but it didnt help. I monitored the speedo in stock & level 1 and it was bang on with the GPS. Anyone know how to rectify this little problem?

Besides the 5km difference I recommend it to anyone who does any type of towing.
Congratulations! Just an FYI, the factory speedometer is calibrated about 2-3 miles FASTER than you're going, so your readings sound accurate! To correctly gauge your speed, read it off the Evo.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
Congratulations! Just an FYI, the factory speedometer is calibrated about 2-3 miles FASTER than you're going, so your readings sound accurate! To correctly gauge your speed, read it off the Evo.
He was comparing with a GPS, Corey. Doublecheck that your gear ratio is set correctly in the Edge and then try increasing the tire circumference setting by about 3-5%.

Your experience is interesting, most of us get speeds that are a bit fast, not slow (until we account for tire "squish").

- Jack

Old 07-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
He was comparing with a GPS, Corey. Doublecheck that your gear ratio is set correctly in the Edge and then try increasing the tire circumference setting by about 3-5%.

Your experience is interesting, most of us get speeds that are a bit fast, not slow (until we account for tire "squish").

- Jack

Gear ratio was correct, tire size was set at 2600 so should I try 2700?

Old 07-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Suspended
(until we account for tire "squish").

- Jack
Never would have thunk it...interesting

Old 07-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

- Jack
Oops! I'll go back to sleep now. :o Too many margaritas. Or, perhaps, not enough.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Global Moderator &

That sounds like a good number to me. It "tells" your PCM that for every rotation of the wheels, you travel 100 mm farther. So, since the speedometer "sensor" simply "counts" revolutions, the PCM will use the larger circumference to calculate and display a higher speed for the same number of revolutions in a unit of time.

Shine, are you "pulling my leg" here? You really haven't heard Bill talk about "tire squish"? If not, think about it: The tire is flattened where it sits on the pavement and that reduces the effective radius of the wheel. So, your "loaded" tire covers less distance in a revolution than one that is off the truck and "rolled" for a revolution.

I think, Corey, it's too little sleep! You and Bill are working too hard!

- Jack

Old 07-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I always have to reduce by 5% to allow for the squish.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Arkas- What size tire are you running? I have 35" (34.6" tire per procomp website, and what I used for calabrating my tiresize(load rating E, so they barely squish even when towing))

By my math I have 2760 for my tires. Did you ever accurately do the calculations for your tires? 2600 and 2700 sound a little like guesses.

Just wondering? Math was my strong suit and I could help if you need.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by jlgil73
Arkas- What size tire are you running? I have 35" (34.6" tire per procomp website, and what I used for calabrating my tiresize(load rating E, so they barely squish even when towing))

By my math I have 2760 for my tires. Did you ever accurately do the calculations for your tires? 2600 and 2700 sound a little like guesses.

Just wondering? Math was my strong suit and I could help if you need.
285/65/18 = 2600
I just went by whats in the manual....

Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM
285/65/18 = 2600
I just went by whats in the manual....
Yeah, by my math I got 2601.2876 . It makes me wander if my speedo is off to. How accurate is the GPS speedo? There has to be a +/- error. I wonder if the difference falls within that range.

Last edited by jlgil73; 07-26-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by jlgil73
Yeah, by my math I got 2601.2876 . It makes me wander if my speedo is off to. How accurate is the GPS speedo? There has to be a +/- error. I wonder if the difference falls within that range.
Now you bring up an interesting point! There IS, of course, some error in the speed any GPS gives you. WAAS has a horizontal position accuracy of 1-2 meters according to the manual that came with my Garmin handheld. There seems to be some error in the Ford Magellan that I put in my truck too (but it seems to be more of a "lag" error at times).

The error is obvious in a handheld that records a track as you travel. Retrace the track and the lines will not overlap - they'll just be "close".

And, if the GPS is not receiving enough WAAS enabled satellites, the error can be very large. I wonder what the satellite coverage is in Canada?

I've determined my odometer is accurate by comparing the distance it records with the highway mile marker signs over a 100 mile stretch on I-10 in Arizona. On our interstate highways, these mile markers are really VERY accurate and using a long distance averages out any error there may be. Over a shorter distance, I calibrated my speedometer using the old fashoned "time to travel a known distance" method (D = rt).

The tire "squish" is a genuine effect though. I've also measured the distance my tire moves over my garage floor in one revolution. It's less than what the Edge manual says the circumference is, but I don't remember now what it was. Again, there's an error in a measurement like that too - I estimated +/- 5 mm. I'm now using a figure of 2481, which, for my tires is a 3 % squish.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 07-26-2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added thought about satellite coverage

Quick Reply: 1st Tow with Edge