What Tuner to use

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Tuner to use

Well Im in the market to buy a tuner for my 07 F150 5.4 super crew 2wd XLT What is out there that works good I've seen a few ranging from 300-500 bucks want to spend the money on a good one. I want more power fuel economy etc. (What a oxymorone Power + mileage) What are some suggestions? Thanks for your time.

Kenm78

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Do a search of the threads in this forum and read about the Gryphon at Power Hungry Performance and the Xcal2 tuned by either VMP or Troyer.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Not an oxymoron at all! I want the same thing. I have a Gryphon tuned by Bill Cohron at www.powerhungryperformance.com.

Other members on this forum swear by Xcal2s or Xcal3s tuned by Justin Starkey at VMP or Mike Troyer at TP.

We all tend to be very loyal to our choice! Read what we all have to say with that in mind.

Welcome to the forum!

- Jack

Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Well I got a edge Evolution. And I am using the tow setting and I was kinda surprised you could actually feel a improvement in the get-up-and-go and the firmer shifts I haven't tried the full performance setting yet becouse it states not to unless you run 91
plus octane. I am running 87 at the moment. Does anyone else have this programer and what are there opinions so far good bad I would like to hear them all. Thanks for the previous responses.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by kenm78
Well I got a edge Evolution. And I am using the tow setting and I was kinda surprised you could actually feel a improvement in the get-up-and-go and the firmer shifts I haven't tried the full performance setting yet becouse it states not to unless you run 91
plus octane. I am running 87 at the moment. Does anyone else have this programer and what are there opinions so far good bad I would like to hear them all. Thanks for the previous responses.
Alot of people have the Edge and there are many good reviews on it... The only problem is that if it is used on a 04 F150 it might cause the engine to run lean. But the edge wont compare to a custom tuned XCal 2 or Gryphon

Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 PM
LOL. whats the main differance between the XCal 2 and the Gryphon vs the edge?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:26 PM
more hp, tq, mpg

Old 08-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Not a bad choice - I started out that way myself! Now, do yourself a favor and CALL Bill Cohron at www.PowerHungryPerformance.com. He knows Edge's inside and out - worked for them for a while and helped them develop that product. But now, Edge cannot be custom tuned for YOUR truck.

Bill has an agreement with Edge. He "rebrands" your Edge at a very minimal cost and then can write custom tunes for you and your specific needs. You can see the cost of the "tradein" on PHP's website and the cost of each tune.

You will not regret making a call to him - I guarantee that! Look for posts from Bluejay, Stealth, Phatboyspam and a host of others. We are all loyal "fans".

- Jack

Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Suspended
LOL. whats the main differance between the XCal 2 and the Gryphon vs the edge?
Xcal2 and Gryphon use custom tunes vs Edge. Custom tunes will always net more power, more torque, more mileage than a canned tune. The Xcal2 and Gryphon can be tuned for mods like air intakes, full exhaust, superchargers, etc. Bill is the only one to tune the Gryphon. The Xcal2 can be tuned by thousands of people. The Xcal2 can be dyno tuned. I'm not sure about the Gryphon. The Xcal2 will work on any Ford vehicle with a ODBII port which is a LOT !! All you'll need to buy is new tunes which beats a new programmer any day !! C

Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Global Moderator &

Thumper's right, as far as he went. He DID leave out the fact the you still have the extra gauges with the Gryphon. The XCal's won't give you that. Some people buy the Scanguage monitor at $100+ a pop to add that feature if they have the XCal.

But, he was dead on about custom tunes giving you more of what you want. And, I believe he's right about the Gryphon/Edge being "married" to the f150 you buy it for. Won't be able to move it to a Mustang! (I still can't forgive Ford for firing Lee Iacocca)!

- Jack

Old 08-02-2008, 06:21 PM
How accurate is the average MPG display setting on the evolution?

Old 08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
can you guys help how do i find what the best is 2004 5.4 HO fx4 need power i already have exhast and airaid intake on the way what other stuff can i do? under a grand?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by fordranger1232
can you guys help how do i find what the best is 2004 5.4 HO fx4 need power i already have exhast and airaid intake on the way what other stuff can i do? under a grand?
We just told you all of the best options. The Xcal2 and Xcal3 from Justin with VMPTuning.com or a Gryphon from Bill at PHP are the best options out there. Two other good mods would be UDPs (Underdrive Pullies) and E-Fans (Electric Fans).

Old 08-03-2008, 08:46 PM
another best option-xcal 3 tuned by troyer performance

Old 08-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Global Moderator &

How accurate is the average MPG display setting on the evolution?
Not particularly accurate - but I don't think it's the Evo's fault. I have a King Ranch and it has a "message center" that give me this reading already. The first thing I notice is that the Edge updates faster than the message center. The second thing I notice is that they both can be off by about 1/2 to 1 mpg. The Edge DOES have an "Instantaneous MPG" reading that gives you a pretty good idea of the "demand" you are putting on your pocket book at any given second though.

I suspect the inaccuracies are due to the sensor that the PCM looks at to "guess" fuel flow. I doubt it really sees the actual fuel flow at all, but "inferres" it instead. So, the resulting MPG calculation is only approximate.

But if you look at the value shown as a "relative" thing, it will tell you a lot. If you see, for instance, 12.5 mpg at one point and then 14.2 mpg at another (like I have when I'm towing), I know I'm getting better fuel economy when I see the higher figure.

- Jack

Quick Reply: What Tuner to use