My Edge MPG results

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My Edge MPG results

Made a 300 mile round trip on the weekend. The truck has only 2000 miles on it. Just put the Edge in an week ago and set it to level 2. The trip was 85% highway and 15% stop and go. My hand calculated results came in at 18.5MPG. My previous best was an all highway trip which came in at 17MPG. Needless to say, I am pleased with the results. The 300 mile trip also included some nasty headwinds which had a significant impact on the IMPG display. Without a doubt, speed is the MPG killer. Anything over 60MPH and the MPG start to drop. I look forward to trying out level 3 soon.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Glad you saw some improvement and @ 1.40/L everything helps and you hit it right on the head, speed kills......gas mileage. But then again slowing down kills some of the fun too.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Caunck, this comes under the heading of "you shoulda...".

But, like you, I started with an Edge and noticed right away an improved driving experience and better gas mileage (and the same "killer" effect of a headwind, by the way - not just on displayed mpg but on calculated mpg). But then, after reading several posts by ASEMechanic (Bill Cohron of PowerHungryPerformance) I decided to call them and see if he could improve things.

Search my posts, because I don't want to repeat it all here. I've now got a Gryphon (rebranded Edge at a minimal trade-in cost) and a custom tune that has just about paid for itself in a further improvement in mpg and an even better driving experience.

Why? Because Bill (who was a main designer of the Edge) can customize its tune for YOUR truck. Not some generic f150.

I'd give him a call. He's a good guy to talk to and he won't try to "sell" you anything - promise!

- Jack

Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
60? lol I hardly consider that a "highway" speed. That's more like a side road speed. Interstates in Florida have 70mph speed limit and doing 60 you'll get run off the damn road.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
60? lol I hardly consider that a "highway" speed. That's more like a side road speed. Interstates in Florida have 70mph speed limit and doing 60 you'll get run off the damn road.
Ah, not everyone gets to drive in a straight line on a "sand spit"! (But only 70 in that environment? Our road runners, lizards and scorpions move faster than that!)

- Jack

Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I have a Scangauge, not an Edge, but I found the same thing true. 63 MPH is the max speed before mileage goes to he!!. Of course, I'm driving a 2008 with a 4.6, so this may not be typical for the 5.4 or for other years (I know they have made some 3 valve 4.6 engines, and mine ain't).
As far as getting in somebody's way, they can run me over or go around. I'm not going to throw $4 gas out the tailpipe when I have plenty of time to get where I'm going. And at my age, I got nothing BUT time, although less than I used to have, for sure.
I'll tell you something amazing, and remember I have to keep every gas receipt for taxes. My truck has averaged over 24MPG for two highway trips with about 20% city driving, and my average is close to 20 for local driving. Like I say, run me over or go around. I need my money more than Mr. Exxon needs it.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by rlafaver
63 MPH is the max speed before mileage goes to he!!.
True. I work in the commercial truck industry and they say drag represents 50% of fuel consumption at 65mph. Many fleets govern their vehicles under 70mph, especially now with diesel's sky rocketed prices. Last I checked Wal-Mart had their trucks governed at 68. But you still have the crazies. I was going 88 on my bike last night and I BARELY creeped by a full tractor/trailer. What a nut. It would take a half mile to stop that thing at that speed. Not to mention he was probably getting 2-3mph.

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I will add my opinion. I currently have the Edge and love it. The fuel mileage I get now is great. Bill helped me tweak the timing and a couple of other settings built in the edge. Doing this has made a big improvement. I will soon be upgrading to the Gryphon. I want some custom tunes.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Kokopellif150
I will add my opinion. I currently have the Edge and love it. The fuel mileage I get now is great. Bill helped me tweak the timing and a couple of other settings built in the edge. Doing this has made a big improvement. I will soon be upgrading to the Gryphon. I want some custom tunes.
And, everyone notices, I hope, that he did this for free! Glad you're on board, Kokopelli! You're going to be a satisfied customer!

- Jack

Quick Reply: My Edge MPG results