Edge/Gryphon Help?? New Guy to Forum...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge/Gryphon Help?? New Guy to Forum...

Hey Guys I just recently bought an 08 F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 and I am wanting to get a tuner to help improve some performance and gas mileage. I have been reading the f-150 forums for countless hours about the Edge Evo and Gryphon and I am wanting to know if I should just go with the Edge for right now with the canned tunes and then send it to Bill later for a couple custom tunes because I am not looking to add a lot to my truck except for a different filter/air intake like K&N or S&B (kinda been leaning towards the S&B), and maybe exhaust down the road but I like it the way it is and will probably just do the intake when I decide to switch it out. The main reason is I have found some guys that have a Edge they are wanting to sell and I can get for a good price and then I once I add the intake and possibly exhaust I can send it to Bill at Gryphon for some tunes to help get the most out of them. Also I don't want to spend 500 bucks right off the bat for a tuner when I am going to be driving a stock truck for awhile?? Just wanted to see what you guys thought and if it is worth it to go ahead and get the Edge because I really like all of the parameters it gives you and if it will satisfy my needs with my stock truck by adding a little better fuel economy and some more performance then I will go ahead and get it and then down the road order a few custom tunes from Gryphon when I do my few add-ons??

Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you buy a used Edge, make sure the truck it was on was returned to stock or the Edge unit will contain that trucks strategy and be worthless to anyone else. You really need to talk to PHP about their conversion price, but I think it was $25 plus $50 per custom tune.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I purchased my Edge last year to correct my speedometer and to adjust shift point's for the taller tires I'm running. I run on level 2 using 87 octane Shell gas and am able to average between 16 and 17 mpg on my daily 100 mile round trip commute. Even with the canned tunes it's amazing how much better my truck accelerates with these large tires. My only mod's are a K&N drop in filter and a Flow 40 exhaust. Sooner or later I guess I'll get it up-graded to a Gryphon if I decide to keep the truck. Either choice of programmer's would be a good decision.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Welcome to the forum, SlvrBrute! Overall, you will save some money by just getting a Gryphon from PHP in the first place. In addition, you will get "stellar" customer support from PHP.

It comes with the three canned Edge tunes, so you can use it right away. Later, when you complete your mods and decide what you want customized, you just contact PHP again and tell you what you need. The custom tunes are included in the purchase price but you don't have to get them immediately.

Bill and Corey Cohron at PHP are some of the nicest people you will ever work with. Give them a call and discuss your situation. They won't sell you anything you don't want.

- Jack

Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
One other thought. The used unit will probably have to be upgraded to be compatible with your 2008 strategy. Some of the older units are not upgradeable with the software they are not using and you have to return it to Edge for a new unit. If it were my decision, I would gp straight to PHP for a Gryphon and eliminate some possible headaches.

Also, the intake probably won't help you much without a freer flowing exhaust, and you really need a custom tune to run an aftermarket intake, just to make sure you don't run lean.

Quick Reply: Edge/Gryphon Help?? New Guy to Forum...