Thanks, PHP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Talking Thanks, PHP!

Recently, due to: 1. stupidity, 2. ignorance, 3. advanced senility (pick one or choose "all of the above"), :o I managed to erase the custom towing tune from my Gryphon. It still worked, but only with the "canned" tune.

I emailed Bill and he suggested I call to get things fixed. When I called today, he asked if I could call a bit later because he was working with someone else. "Sure", I said and then I tried off and on for the next three hours without getting through (he's a busy man).

Then, Bill called me! He quickly got my Gryphon working properly again, and it's back in the truck where it belongs. Thanks Bill! (And to everyone waiting for a tune, I'm sorry I took up some of his time)!

But, here again is a concrete example of the fantastic customer support you get when you buy a Gryphon from PowerHungryPerformance!

- Jack

Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe he was working on my edge to gryphon conversion! I sent it off last week. Glad to here it was able to be resolved over the phone. I can't wait to get mine

Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Recently, due to: 1. stupidity, 2. ignorance, 3. advanced senility (pick one or choose "all of the above"), :o I managed to erase the custom towing tune from my Gryphon. It still worked, but only with the "canned" tune.

I emailed Bill and he suggested I call to get things fixed. When I called today, he asked if I could call a bit later because he was working with someone else. "Sure", I said and then I tried off and on for the next three hours without getting through (he's a busy man).

Then, Bill called me! He quickly got my Gryphon working properly again, and it's back in the truck where it belongs. Thanks Bill! (And to everyone waiting for a tune, I'm sorry I took up some of his time)!

But, here again is a concrete example of the fantastic customer support you get when you buy a Gryphon from PowerHungryPerformance!

- Jack
Hey Jack,
How could you tell you didn't have the custom tune loaded any more? My Gryphon doesn't list the new tunes, only the canned ones. Maybe because I have an '01??

Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
OK guys leave him alone, I am waiting for my tunes.The more you bug him the longer they will take..LOL

Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Robdude30
Hey Jack,
How could you tell you didn't have the custom tune loaded any more? My Gryphon doesn't list the new tunes, only the canned ones. Maybe because I have an '01??
Do you have custom tunes yet? There are three tunes you can load. In my case, since I traded an Edge for a Gryphon and got one custom Level 2 tune, it came with a unique name and had obvious differences from the canned tune (I'm sort of OC about these things and record their settings). :o

So, when I saw that the "custom name" was gone, and the custom settings I'd made a note of were no longer there - well, even for my old feeble brain, a red flag went up.

My guess is though, you don't have a problem. Here's what erased my tune: I pulled my Gryphon off my truck (after setting the tune back to Level 0) and then plugged it into Pegasus. I was in the process of ordering a new, economy tune from PHP and needed the firmware and version numbers from the Gryphon. (BTW, you can get these without taking the unit out of your truck, but, I was taking my truck to the dealer and wanted the PCM at Level 0). At this point, I noticed there was a firmware and version upgrade for my Gryphon. Wanting the "latest and greatest", I downloaded and installed them, only to find they had wiped out my custom tune.

Well, shucks! Bill told me NEVER again to do this and said he has been meaning to put a BIG warning popup in Pegasus that tells you not to do this if you want to keep your custom tunes, but, with business being SO busy, well, you know.... It DOES take time to modify software, and, he's more interested in writing custom tunes for people, so, get the picture? I did!

So, bottom line: DO NOT update the firmware and version information on your custom tuned Gryphon unless you want to trash your custom tunes!

And, so you'll know, Bill is planning to work on the firmware updates so they won't wpe out your custom tunes. It's just going to take some time and it's not a priority right now.

Hope this explains everything. I was hoping not to get into this for fear of confusing everyone.

And, I really wanted to let everyone know about the super support from PHP!

- Jack

Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 AM
One more example of "Customer induced damage"

Glad you got it fixed though.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 97XL
One more example of "Customer induced damage"

Glad you got it fixed though.
Yep! I'm a member of the "If it ain't broke, fix it!" and "If it IS broke, get a bigger hammer!" school. :o

- Jack

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Robdude30
Hey Jack,
Yes, that's why! Bill can only make minor changes in the firmware for the 1997-2003 vehicles, unfortunately.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

- Jack
Just doing our job, Jack. (Not that we don't love ya... )

Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
Just doing our job, Jack. (Not that we don't love ya... )
Kind of like the "black sheep" member of the family, righr? (Good to be "tolerated"). :o

- Jack

Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Yes, that's why! Bill can only make minor changes in the firmware for the 1997-2003 vehicles, unfortunately.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Kind of like the "black sheep" member of the family, righr? (Good to be "tolerated"). :o

- Jack
Absolutely not! I'm still hoping to persuade you to drop by and see us Las Vegas when we're there in November! (I'll buy the margaritas! )

BTW, check out our testimonials page...

Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Absolutely not! I'm still hoping to persuade you to drop by and see us Las Vegas when we're there in November! (I'll buy the margaritas! )

BTW, check out our testimonials page...
I recognize that truck! But, I need to take a better picture. Maybe I can get inspired to wash it again next week. Tomorrow, we're headed up to Mt Graham (10.000 ft) for some camping until Sunday.

- Jack

Old 08-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Did you tow the trailer, Jack?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Did you tow the trailer, Jack?
Certainly did! Towed like a dream and the fuel useage seemed good too until I started the "climb". The road is REALLY steep and looks like a whole lot of Z's and W's strung together. Our grandkids got a kick out of seeing the road layout on the GPS I have in the truck. But, in the cliimb, for about 35 miles, the speed limit is 25 in the "fast" parts and on the hairpins, I just creep around them at about 10 mph. But, I simply dropped the transmission into second gear and it pulled without complaint. The road turns into dirt/mud (take your pick) for the last 10 miles and that was slow going too.

Coming down is just as slow of course and I almost put the transmission into first, but felt I wasn't riding the brakes hard enough to do that.

We had a great time up on the mountain. Our grandkids loved climbing the big rocks up there and playing in the creek.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Thanks, PHP!