FYI on scan guage 2 and similar products

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI on scan guage 2 and similar products

This is a direct quote from my other site of one expert opinion. I want to see what y'all had to add/comment:

If you are asking to monitor the temps and such from the transmission during driving, then it's NOT a good idea to do it via a bi-directional scanner except for short periods of time.

That takes up valuable bus bandwidth on the Ford system, which I believe is talking in FORTRAN. That's a compiler/assembler language and it's not liking to be interrupted except for diagnostics on a short-time basis.

If you hang on to too much of the communication bus, it'll muck things up like adaptive/learned strategies for the transmission.

You DON'T want me to go through how to correct THAT..do you?

My suggestion is to install the temp gate in the output side of the cooler lines..or there's a few other pre-tapped places to use too right behind the front pump in pressure taps for diagnostics.

Check out the new post in my blog: http://surferjoe1946.blogspot.com/

You can use a regular transmission oil-temp device if you like...I did on my THM700. They are cheap and easy to install with one wire to the trans and one to an accessory spot on the fuse box.

47 year experienced & retired Master Mechanic specializing in - Diesel; Hydraulics; NASA-Certified pressure-hull welding/heliarc/TIG; CA Smog/Brake/Lamp Class "A" Installer/Adjuster; Manual/Automatic transmissions; Front end; Differentials; HVAC; Air/hydraulic Brakes; Unlimited Horsepower Stationary Steam Engineer; CalDOT Certified - HazMat and Explosives;but I don't know everything. Still learning.

1989 Amigo: 2.6/5 speed; 32x11.50R15 Remington RV Wide Brutes
~~
1986 Chevy K5/Stroked 5.7/700R4/33x12.50R15 Remington RV Wide Brutes
~~
71 F-100 352/2bbl/cast iron 4-sp & transfer case; 31x10.50 Remington RV Wide Brutes.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
The scanner only accesses an address and shows the data all ready being analyzed by the PCM. The monitor for the TFT is monitored continuous.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
AND, I can't really believe there is any FORTRAN involved in the inner workings of the PCM. FORTRAN is a high-level, general purpose programming language used to write applications for digital computers. It is compiled to machine code and modern compilers can do it directly, there is no assembly language step.

A FORTRAN based application would be running as a subprocess of an operating system such as Windows or Unix. This would be a terribly inefficient and slow control system in an automobile.

- Jack

Old 03-11-2010, 05:50 AM
ok, i didnt understand any of that...but I think people are saying scan guages are ok to use?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by credurdead
ok, i didnt understand any of that...but I think people are saying scan guages are ok to use?
Good mornin' to you!

Thank-you fer resurrecting this dormant thread.

The answer is - of course it's safe to use.

As was indicated the veracity of the OP's info is in serious question given the reasoning supplied - I personally think it's utter BS.

The data in question being monitored is getting generated anyway on a real-time basis - you are just viewing it. That ol' bear in the forest is going to take a dump whether you happen to be looking at him or not

It's a great little device - have fun with it - make sure you explore all that X-gauge extensibility has to offer.

Will there be anything else? If not, I'll just go grab a cup o' Joe ....

Cheers!

MGD v4.2

Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Some people are really stretching to find things to argue about these days.

The scangauge is perfectly fine to use.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor
lol @ this expert opinion:

That takes up valuable bus bandwidth on the Ford system, which I believe is talking in FORTRAN. That's a compiler/assembler language and it's not liking to be interrupted except for diagnostics on a short-time basis.

Quick Reply: FYI on scan guage 2 and similar products