jumping on the tuner bandwagon

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jumping on the tuner bandwagon

Hi guys,

I've made the decision to jump in with both feet and get a tuner for my 05 F150!
I do have one question before making my final decision though. I know all of you have your own opinions about PHP-Gryphon and VMP-XCal2 or 3, and all are good in their own way. However, I wanted to ask if anyone out there has tried the SCT Livewire programmer? How does it compare to the Gryphon? I really like the idea of a heads up display unit at my fingertips, so I'm leaning toward one of these. Also, any ideas how long of a wait I will be looking at for a Gryphon vs the SCT Livewire/Xcal3 with custom tunes? Thanks so much for your help!

Jason

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I only know a little about the Gryphon. It ships to you very quickly, with canned tunes that are pretty good. I was satisfied with them for almost 2 years. You get a coupon for custom tunes that can be ordered when you are ready and they take 30 days to 45 days to receive, after ordering. They are worth it.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I have the livewire with Troyer Tunes.

The unit is nice, I have not had any problems with it at all.

No matter who you get it from, it will come with canned tunes. Should only take a couple days to get the tuner. The canned tunes are more like one tune with multiple areas of adjustment, such as octane, shift pressure, etc.

Custom tunes are where its at. The canned tunes helped, but when I got the custom tunes, it was like a whole new truck.

Troyer takes a while to get your tunes. 8-10+ weeks. For me it was worth the wait, the truck runs awesome now. But VMP gets good feed back here as well.

So you can go with either VMP, or Troyer for the livewire, or PHP for the gryphon.

All 3 seem to know these trucks pretty well.

Last edited by STX4MX; 08-12-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: to test my sig.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Suspended
Give Justin a call at VMPTuning.com and he'll be able to tell you how long it should take. Normally, custom mail order tunes take about 1-2 weeks. Depending on how busy he is. I wouldn't think it'd take any longer getting the Livewire either. Just give him a call and see what he says, that's your best bet.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I have Troyer tunes but just last week ordered 87 and 91 tunes from VMP. Took exactly 1 week. Will load them today and will be able to chime in with comparisons soon.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I have the Gryphon with canned tunes, I am waiting for my custom tunes. What I can say is wow. The canned tunes are great, the gauges are a must for me to have, and the customer service is great., I cant imagine what the custom tunes are going to be like.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Wow, all I can say is thank you for each of your responses. This makes it even harder for me to decide between PHP and VMP. I'm leaning toward the Gryphon from PHP. Hopefully I can get custom tunes back quickly. Thanks again to all!

Jason

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by 06darkstone
I have Troyer tunes but just last week ordered 87 and 91 tunes from VMP. Took exactly 1 week. Will load them today and will be able to chime in with comparisons soon.

You know who your new best friend is?????

Kevin

Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by khindal
You know who your new best friend is?????

Kevin
Who???

So far haven't heard from him to get my shirt and invite to a BBQ

I wanted to try the VMP tunes due to the elevation driveability issues I still have with the Troyer tunes. Will be up in the mountains this weekend so should know soon if the issues remain. As stated in another thread regarding differences between Troyer and VMP I too like the throttle response at low Rpm's but there seems to be a lag when on the freeway when going WOT compared to Troyer. Will need some more drive cycles to know.

Last edited by 06darkstone; 08-12-2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: additional text

Quick Reply: jumping on the tuner bandwagon