f150 spark knocking

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f150 spark knocking

i have a 04 f150 screw 4.6 with a edge evolution i was running it on level 2 and then switched to high test fuel and put it on level 3 now i notice when i lug it on hills it will spark knock. i put a k&n filter in the stock box and it seems like it started happening since i did that. i have been running my truck lately on the stock program so that it don't spark knock. any thing i can try?

Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
The canned tunes in Edge's don't seem to play well with intake modifications. Call Bill Cohron at www.powerhungryperformance.com and he will tell you what you need to do to make your intake work with a programmer.

- Jack

Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Suspended
Jack, it's just a drop in filter ....

Have you messed with the custom settings? If so, what have you done? If not, try to remove some timing from inside the custom parameters. Start with small increments and keep testing it until the knocking goes away ..

Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 AM
the only thing i messed with is i upped the speed limiter, i put 265's on my truck adjusted for them and that's it. i tried one night moving the timing in small incremets and the truck worked like crap it just fell on it's face had no power so i just left it to what the edge said i guess i'm gonna clean up my stock filter and put it back in and try that?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Jack, it's just a drop in filter ....

Have you messed with the custom settings? If so, what have you done? If not, try to remove some timing from inside the custom parameters. Start with small increments and keep testing it until the knocking goes away ..
You're right, Thumper. I missed the "stock box" part of his post. :o

I wonder if he "drained" the tank before putting high test in and switching to the Level 3 tune? He could be running, say 89-90 octane.

- Jack

Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 AM
i run my truck near dry then filled with high test run it on level 2 for 2 tanks of gas then the third time i filled it i put i on level 3

Old 08-17-2008, 11:40 AM
It's unusual, but it is sad to say that every once in a while we'll get a vehicle with slight detonation when running the 93 program. However, you can run the 93 program with 1-2 degrees taken out of the timing and that should take care of it. Go to the custom options, select the timing option and then set between -1 and -2.

Also keep in mind that fuel can make a difference. What brand ya running?

Take care.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 PM
i am in canada and i'm using irving most of the time. i will try this see what happens then let u know thanks for everything

Old 08-17-2008, 01:50 PM
i took it back to -1 and the truck would barely pull away it worked like crap i put up on the screen so u could see the spark advance and it showed 1638 at idle but it was dead and didn't sound right. so i put it back on level 2 and don't spark knock is there anyway that i can make it so that u don't have to shove on the gas so hard to get it to downshift from 4th to 3rd.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by RX1_NS
i took it back to -1 and the truck would barely pull away it worked like crap i put up on the screen so u could see the spark advance and it showed 1638 at idle but it was dead and didn't sound right. so i put it back on level 2 and don't spark knock is there anyway that i can make it so that u don't have to shove on the gas so hard to get it to downshift from 4th to 3rd.
I'm fresh out of ideas on your spark knock.

About all I can suggest now is working with Bill at PHP. I'm sure he can cure all your problems with a Gryphon upgrade (very reasonable) and custom tunes.

For instance, I have a "Downshift" adjustment that I can apply for each gear setting that changes the speeds they occur at when you are using part throttle.

- Jack

Old 08-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Suspended
I don't understand why the truck wouldn't lean correctly when reducing timing. I'd definitely give Bill a call and he'll be able to help you ...

Quick Reply: f150 spark knocking