Tuning my edge

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning my edge

Howdie howdie,

I've got an '06 F-150 with the 5.4l and just recently added an edge evolution tuner (last week) to the truck. I was wondering if anyone had any custom tunes that worked well for them. Currently, I've only really tested the 2nd option. I tried the 3rd option (on regular gas) for one 0-60 run to compare it to the 2nd. Went from 9s and change to 7s and change. My tank is empty and I plan on filling up with premium, tonight, to really try the 3rd option. I've definatly notice it gears down much better, on the 2nd option and I take off like a rocket except for starting off. The truck still bogs from a stand still. Will the 3rd option help with take off's? I'm thinking about raising my idle rpms. I'm new to tuning and this is the first truck I've had where I can actually claim performance, so tips will be handy. I should also note I added an s+b intake kit and a cat back dual flowmaster kit back when I first bought it. I still have the junk factory rubbers so my bogging issue isn't over sized tires. I honestly think they did a horrible job with the factory tune on these 5.4's and the tranny. Before the tuner I could never count on the tranny down shifting when I matted it, it almost always bogs before it takes off. Which sucks when your trying to pass someone or are trying to stomp the competition. It's probably all part of that dang drive by wire crap.

Also, as far as the exhaust goes does anyone think replacing the intermediate pipe with a glass pack would beef up the sound from the flowmaster?

Thinking about a 2" leveling kit also. Anyone add this and have problems with warranty?

Thanks, Bob

Old 08-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Several notes.

You should NEVER run the Level 3 on 87 at WOT. You will be running lean and can do some damage. Level 3 is tuned for a minimum of 91 octane.

Also, the Edge canned tunes are programmed for the stock intake. Any better flowing intake runs the risk of running lean. You should get custom tunes from www.powerhungryperformance.com if you run an aftermarket intake.

Level 2 is a towing tune, so you get better low end torque but it fades rapidly over 2000 rpms. Level 3 pulls all the way to the top end.

Here are the settings I used for 2 years before I got custom tunes:

93 Octane-Level 3:

Pressure: 1-2 = +12, 2-3= +12, 3-4= +9 (the 3-4 shift is a weak spot in these trannys, so back off a little)

Shift Points WOT: 1-2 = 5250, 2-3 + 5250, 3-4 + 4800

Timing: +1.5

Fuel WOT: +1.5

Max RPM: 5650 (should always be 400 more than your highest shift point)

Max speed: 110

Idle: 800 rpms

Be sure to enter proper gears and tire size.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Power hungry performance

Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Several notes.

You should NEVER run the Level 3 on 87 at WOT. You will be running lean and can do some damage. Level 3 is tuned for a minimum of 91 octane.

Also, the Edge canned tunes are programmed for the stock intake. Any better flowing intake runs the risk of running lean. You should get custom tunes from www.powerhungryperformance.com if you run an aftermarket intake.

Level 2 is a towing tune, so you get better low end torque but it fades rapidly over 2000 rpms. Level 3 pulls all the way to the top end.

Here are the settings I used for 2 years before I got custom tunes:

93 Octane-Level 3:

Pressure: 1-2 = +12, 2-3= +12, 3-4= +9 (the 3-4 shift is a weak spot in these trannys, so back off a little)

Shift Points WOT: 1-2 = 5250, 2-3 + 5250, 3-4 + 4800

Timing: +1.5

Fuel WOT: +1.5

Max RPM: 5650 (should always be 400 more than your highest shift point)

Max speed: 110

Idle: 800 rpms

Be sure to enter proper gears and tire size.

Thank you for the reply

I looked at the site real quick but it looks like they are selling their own product which looks just like the evolution. Can I download their program onto my edge?

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by bobs64ford352; 08-24-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Bill was involved in developing the tunes for Edge. After leaving them, they worked out an agreement that protects Edge from the goverment regulations and he is not allowed to retune the Edge, but if you send your Edge to him, it will be reskinned as a Gryphon, for a very small fee. Then he can sell you a custom tune to fit your needs and mods. I ran the canned Edge tunes for almost 2 years, and was content. I finally got Bill's custom tunes almost a year ago, and love them. Much better downshifting in traffic plus a few more HP.

Just give him a call and discuss it or you can send an email. They have fantastic customer service.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I found the order form to do the swap. I will get right on it.

Bob

Old 08-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Global Moderator &

BTW, Welcome to the site! What 64 do you have, an F100?

Old 08-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Yes, it's a 64 F-100. It needs a total restore and is currently in pieces. I also have a 68 mustang coupe, which is also in pieces and a 67 convertible. All need a lot of work. Way too much on my plate including my new found wood working hobby. Hopefully I'll get to them soon, I'm really on a mustang kick so if you know of one for sale...

Over and out,
Bob

Quick Reply: Tuning my edge