Canned Gryphon towing tune w/ CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canned Gryphon towing tune w/ CAI?

Doing a big Labor Day camping trip this weekend and will be pulling the trailer over some pretty tall passes. I emailed Corey last week and she said she would pass the info on to Bill to see if my custom tunes would be done, but I understand how busy they are and that there is a good chance my tunes won't be ready by Friday at noon. My biggest concern is running to lean using the canned tunes. I have a AEM Brute Force CAI and Flowmaster 3" exhaust. Corey said that the stock towing tune runs richer since it is a towing tune. Anybody ever have any "lean" issues using the towing tune with a CAI? I'll probably hook up the Gryphon at the very least and leave it on stock so I can adjust for my new 4.56's and old 35's, but it sure would be nice to use the towing tune. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:11 PM
If anything, don't use any tunes, return your truck to stock in order to tow.
just my 2 cents??

Old 08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
It is stock, haven't even hooked up the Gryphon. It's just sitting on the desk collecting dust at this point.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I would call Bill to verify but it would seem to me that you would have a greater risk of running lean on stock tune and CAI vs Gryphon tow and CAI. Bill would be the best person to ask for the real answer. The rest of us just speculate. Only Bill knows stock vs Gryphon fuel delivery.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:37 PM
yah ..or call bill.
but to avoid calling bill altogether remove the intake!
but from my personal experiences - no tune with intake is much better than canned tunes with intake.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
A carburated engine will run rich at altitude without high altitude jets. I suspect though, that a computer controlled, fuel injected engine does a better job matching fuel to the ambient air density.

In any case, you could hook up your programmer and program the PCM to level 1, which will simply improve the shift firmess. It should have no effect on the remainder of the stock tune. In addition though, you can go into the "custom tune" menu and check and set your gear ratio and tire size, so they will be correct.

Finally, with the Gryphon on your dash, you'll be able to monitor your TFT and oil temperatures. I think you'll be surprised how fast your oil heats up when you are towing up a Rocky Mountain pass.

As phatboy said too, if you want to go back to the stock intake, you could run level 2 with no worries.

- Jack

Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Alas, the stock intake is no more. No surprises here, I've lived in Colorado my whole life, I know how quick things can heat up going over some of the big passes. I guess I'll keep it on level 1, correct the gear ratio and tire size, and watch my fluids boil..... unless I hear from PHP with my custom tunes before Friday. Thanks for the input guys!

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 AM
I think you'll be ok as long as you run 93 octane. I have a lean condition with my 4.6 with an Airaid intake and I was getting very slight predetonation. (a chatter sound if i blipped the throttle) So I ran 93 and it went away. It is only a bandaid fix as far as im concerned. But I think you should be ok. I'd give Bill a call tho. I am currently in the process of trading my locked edge for a tuned gryphon. So im looking forward to 87 perf lol

Quick Reply: Canned Gryphon towing tune w/ CAI?