What is your estimate?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is your estimate?...

So i decided i would try out my 89 Perf tune from VMP on a tank, just to see what kinda of mileage i would get running on 89 with a 4.2. Now i knew not to expect much of a gain since it wasnt a mileage tune, but was still suprised to receive a decent 20.3 MPG on my first 1/4 tank (131.7 mi./6.463 gal.) About 78-79% was highway cruising about 65-70 and 40-45 city speed.

im going to actually go the whole tank this time, and just see what will happen. My estimate is it wont be enough to justify buying 89 octane unless i get an 89 mileage tune, which i am debating right now.

so does this sound about right to any of you guys? just though i would get some opinions.

Mods are listed in the sig...with the addition of a cleaned TB....

Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't gotten a programmer yet, but have been researching and wondering how the 89 octane tunes are working? Did you get any 87 or 93 tunes? Why'd you decide on the 89?

I have '03 F150 5.4L and am trying to decide on which ones to get. It seems like most people on here have the newer models, so it's like comparing apples to oranges. I was originally thinking about getting 87 performance, towing, and mileage, but everyone says that the 93 tunes are better for our trucks. I don't know if I want to pay for 93 octane. Depending on if the mileage tune works or not, I might get 87 performance, 87 towing, and 93 performance.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ShepDogFX4
I haven't gotten a programmer yet, but have been researching and wondering how the 89 octane tunes are working? Did you get any 87 or 93 tunes? Why'd you decide on the 89?

I have '03 F150 5.4L and am trying to decide on which ones to get. It seems like most people on here have the newer models, so it's like comparing apples to oranges. I was originally thinking about getting 87 performance, towing, and mileage, but everyone says that the 93 tunes are better for our trucks. I don't know if I want to pay for 93 octane. Depending on if the mileage tune works or not, I might get 87 performance, 87 towing, and 93 performance.
Those are the tunes I have and the assortment works well for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Bluejay, but I have an '03, so it would run a little differently than yours from what I've been reading. Did your Gryphon come with a pod or did you have to order is separately? And did it come in black or does it match your dash? I'm guessing you didn't go with a mileage tune?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I have one of the old Edges, about 3 1/2 years old but I am running the Gryphon custom tunes. All Edges and Gryphons come with the pod included. The Gryphon is a black pod and black programmer.

The only difference in the unit for engines prior to 04 is just the internal programming that is necessary for the different PCMs. They do pretty much the same thing with the same results.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShepDogFX4

well you have to look it like this. premium is 20 more cents for gallon. say you put in 20 gallons at a time that is only four more dollars. now if the premium tune (reason im saying premium is becuase around here we only have 87, 89, and 91) were to add 1 more mpg to say your 12 mpg you would still be in good hands money wise.
$3.50 (for premium 91) divided by 13 mpg= $.269 cents per mile
$3.30 (for regular 87) divided by 12mpg= $.291 cents per mile

my way of computing this could be wrong (and im willing to stand corrected), but i too have been thinking about this. Not only will you have a better tune to drive on but in my eyes you should still come out ahead on mileage.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Anyone know if the mileage tune is worth it then? I guess that's my main question. I'm trying to decide between the 93 performance and the 87 mileage. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 87 performance and 87 tow. I guess I can also assume that the 89 tunes aren't really worth it?

Quick Reply: What is your estimate?...