Need Help quick, truck wont start. Xcal 2 VMP

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help quick, truck wont start. Xcal 2 VMP

So I have been running my VMP tunning XCal2 on 91 performance tune for the last couple months with no problems at all, I went out and set the truck back to stock, cause I had to take it to the dealership to get a window regulator fixed. Well When I get back home I download the 91 per tune again, but this time it says failed. So i tried to put it back to stock and it wont do anything. Ugh this crap is frustrating. So now my truck is stuck in the drive way and wont crank up or anything, and wont download anything. What the hell did i do wrong. And Yes I called the dealership to see if they messed with any of the ecm settings, and they said they didn't touch it. Please help

Old 08-28-2008, 04:38 PM
When I try downloading it back to stock, or putting in any of the files. It says ECM erase Failed on the Xcal, the thing wont read and DTC's or even the strategy.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:40 PM
I would say your best bet is to call VMP, I have been e-mailing back and forth with Justin because I hope to soon be in the market for a tuner and he seems to be very helpful.

Just curious why did you remove the tune, I would think a 2004 would be out of warranty so who cares if the dealership knows you have a programmer......

Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Suspended
Did your dealer update your PCM?

either that happened, and since the x-cal2 was not unlocked, it did not re-save properly

or, the x-cal2 is failing to flash the pcm, which can often be cured by trying again

Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I called the dealership and they said they did not touch the pcm, but it just doesn't make any sense why it would do this now. Ugh When i go to download anything, it just says pcm erase fail, then wont do anything. And the thing that sucks is im going out of town tomorrow for Labor day weekend and I need my truck. What should I do, Im really frustrated. Do I need to delete my xcal stuff and re download from the computer?

Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow that is scary, I was just talking about custom tuning mine. I think I should maybe wait until my warranty is up.

sorry to hear about your truck. hopefully you will figure it out.

I am curious how exactly do you flash the original program back onto the computer? do you just replace one of your custom tunes with the OEM? I am a rookie when it comes to programming.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by jtravis08
Wow that is scary, I was just talking about custom tuning mine. I think I should maybe wait until my warranty is up.

sorry to hear about your truck. hopefully you will figure it out.

I am curious how exactly do you flash the original program back onto the computer? do you just replace one of your custom tunes with the OEM? I am a rookie when it comes to programming.

yup, when you plug in the programmer just choose return to stock

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Ok well I kept messing with the tunner, cause everytime i tried to download it kept saying ECM erase fail, so I hit it a couple times haha I know I know, then it would download some then stop, so I kept trying and trying and it eventually downloaded my 91tune So now the truck is running again! Yay im happy! haha but now I don't know if I dare set back to stock or try any of the other tunes. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the XCal 2?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Suspended
Sounds like a problem with the tuner itself. I'd give SCT a call and see what they can do for you.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Suspended
This ended up being a bad sct tuner, since you are a customer it is covered under warranty, just send it back to me and I'll swap it out for a new one.

Quick Reply: Need Help quick, truck wont start. Xcal 2 VMP