Got the Gryphon all installed.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_74
Hi guys.......my first post over here on this site. Nice classy group you got here. I just uploaded my custom tunes this past weekend. I have only tried the 87 performance so far but I am quite pleased. It has definitely solved the driveability issues I was having with canned tunes!
Hi Chris! Glad to see you stop by!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:45 PM
What makes the upgrade to the Gryphon over the Edge better than other Edge custom tunes?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
There is no such thing as Edge custom tunes. The Edge contains canned tunes and can be adjusted by the user with custom settings. It has to be this way to keep it's CARB licensing in Calif. The Gyrphon is the same hardware as the Edge, ciomes with the same canned tunes, but, it can be custom tuned by PHP to fit your needs and your mods. Plus, Bill at PHP can tweak it to get more out of it. I have had both, and the custom tunes are better. By the way, Bill used to work for Edge and hepled write the canned tunes for them.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM
My understanding of tunes that cannot be changed are things like chips wheras you plug it in and that's it. The Edge has a few things that the user can change which led me to think of custom tuning the canned tunes. I understand there are also things that cannot be changed like fuel delivery which is one of the things the Gryphon changes according to the mods, elevation, etc.

So, the tunes would likely need to be changed with every mod. This is something I'll be interested in after the exhaust and intake are done.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
An exhaust does not require a tune as you are just expelling what the engine takes in. An intake requires a different tune to match the air and fuel delivery. The setting on the Edge are timing (for different octanes), WOT fuel ratioo, shift points, shift pressure, Max rpms, max speed, and torque converter engagement. Go to the Edge site and look at the user's manual. That should give you an idea of what it does.

You do not adjust the computer of these newer vehicles with a chip. It requires a new program in the PCM, using a tuner such as the Edge, Gryphon, and the Xcal units.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
?

Originally Posted by bluejay432000
There is no such thing as Edge custom tunes. The Edge contains canned tunes and can be adjusted by the user with custom settings. It has to be this way to keep it's CARB licensing in Calif. The Gyrphon is the same hardware as the Edge, ciomes with the same canned tunes, but, it can be custom tuned by PHP to fit your needs and your mods. Plus, Bill at PHP can tweak it to get more out of it. I have had both, and the custom tunes are better. By the way, Bill used to work for Edge and hepled write the canned tunes for them.
for a short time there were edge custom tunings being done

Old 09-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
for a short time there were edge custom tunings being done
Of course, but why go into that with him at this point? I'm one of those with a custom tuned Edge.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
jimmy, I am sure you are confused by what happened, so I will go ahead and give out the irrevalent info that a couple of guys seemed to think was so important.

There was a short period of time when the Edge could be custom programmed. Bill, now of Power Hungry Performance, worked for Edge and was one of the developers of the canned tunes. He subsequently left Edge, and knowing that their canned tunes were a "one size fits all", started offering custom tunes for the Edge to those that has mods or wanted more out of the tuner. Several of us were fortunate enough to get those before Edge had to make a change to protect themselves. They were subject to losing their CARB certification if they allowed their tunes to be modified. A solution was worked out this way. If an Edge owner wants custom tunes, he can now send his unit to PHP and it will be "reskinned" as a Gryphon, for a very small fee, and Bill can then modify it. He also sells new hardware, the Gryphon, which is identical to the Edge, just different name and skin.

This was not relevant to your question and I really did not want to type it all yesterday, but due to what happened, felt you deserved an explanation. Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
do all the custom tunes require 93 octane?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by 99ZMAN
no, you can get a tune in any octane. 87-93

Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 99ZMAN
Nope, you can get it tuned for ANY octane. E85-110 octane, whatever you want, you name it.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
bluejay...thanks for the explanation. This is definitely something that I am interested in and will probably get done soon. I have an exhaust leak that I need to figure out, get my drop in filter, then I'll probably get a tune.

Quick Reply: Got the Gryphon all installed.....