Time to install a tuner.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to install a tuner.

I have been reading this site for some time but made only a few posts. Well it is decision time for a tuner and I am looking for a little bit of advice.

I have a 2007 5.4L CC F150 2WD. I am about to do a make over on it and am looking for some advice on a tuner.

I am installing a leveling kit, wheels and some 33's. I am also doing a 3" CAT back exhaust and a CAI. Both the exhaust and CAI are BANKS products. I was also going to do a tuner. Get it all done at the same time if you know what I mean since I have the cash now. I am getting it done by 4 Wheel Parts. I have had work done by them in the past and have never had an issue.

The tuner they suggested was a Superchips 1815. Said it was a good tuner for basic everyday driving which is what I do. I did some research and it seems to be a good tuner for canned tunes.

I thought it was good platform that could be custom tuned at a later time but it looks like I was wrong about that. Can someone tell me if that is true?

I have read numerous threads on here about the different custom tuners that frequent the boards. The consensus seems to be that they all have their good and bad points.

I am leaning towards VMP or PHP. Only because the Troyer turn around seems to be pretty lengthy at this point? I am leaning more towards VMP since the PHP folks look to be out of town till the 22nd and then will have some catch up to do and honestly I am a tad impatient now that I finally have the money to get it done.

So I am just looking for some input or opinions on the set-up. Like I said it is a daily driver with only some dirt road driving. Would the canned tunes be sufficient or best to just get the custom XCAL2 or XCAL3 whichever is appropriate with the custom tunes?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your running an aftermarket CAI exaust etc youll need the custom tunes dialed in for the extra airflow. The canned ones will work but youd be better off with the custom ones.

Quick Reply: Time to install a tuner.