Several tuner questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several tuner questions

From the many sources I've read, I gather that most, if not all of the benefit of a tune is derived at WOT. I do not open the throttle all the way very often. Am I correct in my assumption? Could a tune be customized to have more affect at >2000 rpm? My acceleration is typically akin to a grandmother, but I do like the idea of more power for passing and towing.

Like the electronic throttles, I experience a delay in throttle response when I open her right up. Would tune fix this?

I am planning on buying a diesel Super Duty next fall/winter after I graduate this spring. Can the firmware be reflashed with the HEX codes and tunes for a diesel?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by defconfive
From the many sources I've read, I gather that most, if not all of the benefit of a tune is derived at WOT. I do not open the throttle all the way very often. Am I correct in my assumption? Could a tune be customized to have more affect at >2000 rpm? My acceleration is typically akin to a grandmother, but I do like the idea of more power for passing and towing.

Like the electronic throttles, I experience a delay in throttle response when I open her right up. Would tune fix this?

I am planning on buying a diesel Super Duty next fall/winter after I graduate this spring. Can the firmware be reflashed with the HEX codes and tunes for a diesel?
No, you are wrong.

You experince much more torque at low rpms and it eliminates the throttle delay completely. The shifting and downshifting improvement is worth the tune, all by itself. The "jump" you get in normal driving is awesome. I would not do without a tune and I seldom go WOT. When I do, it's just to pass.

No, the diesel requires a completely different hardware and software. Not interchangeable. But, if you get an Edge or Gryphon, and the preference is Gryphon, you can always sell it when you no longer need it.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
And, I asked Bill, www.PHPTune.com when he wrote the tunes I have to give me good acceleration in the 50-80 mph range, because like you, that's where I need it (not to get away from a stoplight). With his towing tune and pulling my 3600# trailer, I have no trouble passing someone doing about 55-60 on a two-lane road (I like to keep it at 65 while towing).

- Jack

Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
No, you are wrong.

You experince much more torque at low rpms and it eliminates the throttle delay completely. The shifting and downshifting improvement is worth the tune, all by itself. The "jump" you get in normal driving is awesome. I would not do without a tune and I seldom go WOT. When I do, it's just to pass.

No, the diesel requires a completely different hardware and software. Not interchangeable. But, if you get an Edge or Gryphon, and the preference is Gryphon, you can always sell it when you no longer need it.
Does this mean i have more power since i don't have to WOT when i pass.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
I don't either, if I don't think it's necessary, but it's nice to know the power is there if you need it. So, by reading your post carefully, you're saying you NEVER go WOT in a passing situation? Does this mean you drive like my Grandmother? Or, is it that you just hope the other guy will drive off the road to get out of your way?

Cm'on, i.ride, you've put some VERY good stuff up on these forums. Why diminish it with these little "snipes"? Or, am I reading too much into this? If so, I apologize right now.

- Jack

Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I don't either, if I don't think it's necessary, but it's nice to know the power is there if you need it. So, by reading your post carefully, you're saying you NEVER go WOT in a passing situation? Does this mean you drive like my Grandmother? Or, is it that you just hope the other guy will drive off the road to get out of your way?

Cm'on, i.ride, you've put some VERY good stuff up on these forums. Why diminish it with these little "snipes"? Or, am I reading too much into this? If so, I apologize right now.

- Jack
Oh no, I was just playing in the sandbox. But seriously, I rarely have the need to pass people in the first place, and if i do they are going so slow i just accelerate pass them like they weren't there in the first place.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Oh no, I was just playing in the sandbox. But seriously, I rarely have the need to pass people in the first place, and if i do they are going so slow i just accelerate pass them like they weren't there in the first place.
Cool - I'm glad I misread you, because I enjoy your expertise.

I find, on the "back roads" we have here in Arizona, that I often have to slow down behind a "slow mover" due to on-coming traffic and then when that traffic passes, I need to speed up in a hurry to get around the guy before the next curve or the next vehicle coming toward me. I don't do anything that makes our heart stop in these maneuvers, but I appreciate the power reserve that lets me get around without having to worry about it.

And oddly enough, we DO have folks here that drive WELL under the posted speed limit - maybe because there are a lot of old retired guys like me here.

- Jack

Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I know you were just being wise, and many people miss your jabs or attempts at humor, or whatever they are. If you lived in Texas and traveled the 2 lane roads as I do, you would probably go WOT occasionally. When you come up behind someone doing 55 with a 70 mph speed limit and a very short window to pass, it helps to go WOT. Besides, it's fun to let the truck run.

Defconfive, additionally, before the tune installation, I would punch it at 60 or 65 and have a slow response. Now it juumps and moves.

Last edited by Bluejay; 11-22-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by defconfive

There's a lot more to it than just WOT. The performance charastics change completely from throttle response to shifting firmness. The shifts are a lot harder which will actually improve the longevity of your tranny. Throttle lag disappears. I have the Gryphon w/the dash pod. The dash pod allows you to monitor several different parameters. It also allows you to change shifting firmness, timing advance, tire size calibration, and much more (But be careful, you can also mess things up if you don't know what your doing). Oh, and it's a pretty cool little gadget too. imo

Now from what some other members have posted in the past they see some mpg gains too. However, it's pretty tough to keep your foot out of it, hence the reason why my mpg has dropped.

Overall, a tuner will make you think your driving something completely different

Old 11-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I know you were just being wise, and many people miss your jabs or attempts at humor, or whatever they are. If you lived in Texas and traveled the 2 lane roads as I do, you would probably go WOT occasionally. When you come up behind someone doing 55 with a 70 mph speed limit and a very short window to pass, it helps to go WOT. Besides, it's fun to let the truck run.

Defconfive, additionally, before the tune installation, I would punch it at 60 or 65 and have a slow response. Now it juumps and moves.

My .02..

I agree with bluejay, the difference in throttle response at any rpm is well worth the money, not to mention the better shifts.

I drive on hwy 6 and 144 two or three times a month and the ability to pass in a short distance makes all the difference between a 40 minute drive or an hour.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TexEdition
My .02..

I agree with bluejay, the difference in throttle response at any rpm is well worth the money, not to mention the better shifts.

I drive on hwy 6 and 144 two or three times a month and the ability to pass in a short distance makes all the difference between a 40 minute drive or an hour.

I make fairly frequent trips down Highway 6 myself. That is where I really give it a work out. Some times turn off 6 right outside oh Hearn and go toward Mexia. Can't remember the hiway, maybe 14?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 AM
BlueJay,

Thanks for jumping in, but I actually want to make a slight correction to your post. The hardware for both the 04+ F150 and the 03+ PSD is the same. In fact, other than the cables the hardware for all the Ford trucks is now the same.

Defconfive,

If the unit is returned to us, we can clear the contents, reflash it as a diesel unit, and get you back on the road. You will have to purchase the appropriate dash pod for the specific year truck, and if it's a 6.0L you'll need to purchase the pyrometer cable to monitor EGTs. The is also a small fee to cover the labor to convert the unit but it's still better than paying outright for a brand new one.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
BlueJay,

Thanks for jumping in, but I actually want to make a slight correction to your post. The hardware for both the 04+ F150 and the 03+ PSD is the same. In fact, other than the cables the hardware for all the Ford trucks is now the same.

Defconfive,

If the unit is returned to us, we can clear the contents, reflash it as a diesel unit, and get you back on the road. You will have to purchase the appropriate dash pod for the specific year truck, and if it's a 6.0L you'll need to purchase the pyrometer cable to monitor EGTs. The is also a small fee to cover the labor to convert the unit but it's still better than paying outright for a brand new one.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps.
Why does the exhaust temp have to be monitored? What can be done to correct the problem if it does get to high?

Would PHP sell the pod for a different truck? Are you willing to reflash an Evo to a diesel Gryphon?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Can the 91 performance setting be used when towing? I know that it is not advisable to use the highest performance settings when towing with a diesel, but the Evo manual does not address the issue with 10th generation (97-03) gas F-150s.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 PM
We offer an upgrade for the Evo. You can check the website or give us a call for details.

As for a diesel, EGTs are monitored in order to prevent damage to the turbo. Excessive EGTs will destroy the exhaust impeller. If it gets too high, back off the throttle. If you are consistently too high, then the power level you've selected is too high for the load and you need to tune down to a lower power level.

You can tow in the 91 performance setting up to about 2500-3000 Lbs. Small boats, Jet-Skis, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc are fine. More than that we really recommend using the tow program. Timing curves and fuel curves are designed to help reduce cylinder temps and prevent detonation under heavy load. Plus, the transmission strategies are a bit different to maximize low RPM power.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Several tuner questions