97 5.4L produced 11/96 I Cant get a chip?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 5.4L produced 11/96 I Cant get a chip?!?!?!

I heard somewhere on here that since my truck was an early model 97 produced late in 96 the ECU or something is not compatible with a programmer or chip produced for a 97-03 model f150. Is this true??

Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Not that I'm aware of. If you've got a 4.6L or 5.4L, you are both chipable and programmable. The only thing you won't be able to do is use a programmer to correct the speedo for tire size and gear ratio.

Check the ECM code (ECM is located in the firewall behind the battery on the driver's side) and let me know what the Calibration code is. It's 3 letters, 1 number and is in bold print. (Ex. "FOU1")

If you need any further assistance, give us a shout.

Have a good weekend.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 PM
hey man my truck was same build date and i have no problems with the gryphon or the edge, no worries get what u want, im really happy with my tunes from php.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
Not that I'm aware of. If you've got a 4.6L or 5.4L, you are both chipable and programmable. The only thing you won't be able to do is use a programmer to correct the speedo for tire size and gear ratio.

Check the ECM code (ECM is located in the firewall behind the battery on the driver's side) and let me know what the Calibration code is. It's 3 letters, 1 number and is in bold print. (Ex. "FOU1")

If you need any further assistance, give us a shout.

Have a good weekend.
OK sounds good I planned on getting a gryphon anyways so I will be giving yall a call soon!!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Sharp truck, by the way...

Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey thanks Ive done alot more to it since this picture was taken btw how much is a custom gryphon gonna cost me?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey that was me who posted about my early model truck. What happened is I tried to have an edge installed. The shop that was installing it couldn't get it to work properly. It would stop downloading my computer information after about 5%. They called Evolution and tried to troubleshoot the problem. They told us that since my truck was an early model 97.. Build date 3/96.. that it wouldn't work. I'm not convinced thats the case. Well turns out there could be an issue with my computer.

What I did was get a customed multi-position chip from Bill at Gryphon. I JUST installed it today and haven't had too much driving time, but the little I did get to do, I notice a HUGE difference in drivability so far. He programmed a stock setting an 87 Octane setting a tow setting and a 93 octane high performance settong. Easy to install.

Last edited by northwestmichae; 11-29-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by northwestmichae
Hey that was me who posted about my early model truck. What happened is I tried to have an edge installed. The shop that was installing it couldn't get it to work properly. It would stop downloading my computer information after about 5%. They called Evolution and tried to troubleshoot the problem. They told us that since my truck was an early model 97.. Build date 3/96.. that it wouldn't work. I'm not convinced thats the case. Well turns out there could be an issue with my computer.

What I did was get a customed multi-position chip from Bill at Gryphon. I JUST installed it today and haven't had too much driving time, but the little I did get to do, I notice a HUGE difference in drivability so far. He programmed a stock setting an 87 Octane setting a tow setting and a 93 octane high performance settong. Easy to install.
I hope that doesnt happen to me!
But whatever happens I'llprobably end up getting some from PHP

Quick Reply: 97 5.4L produced 11/96 I Cant get a chip?!?!?!