Gryphon came today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gryphon came today!

My Gryphon from Php arrived today. Install was easy...hardest part was getting the stupid plastic dash piece to come off. I get squeamish putting a car stereo in, so if I can install this outside in the dark, I figure anyone can manage.

First off, truck is a 2004 5.4L Scab, about 50k miles. Bought it used in Sept. and was looking for a little more get up and go. Tonight I got everything hooked up, put it on the transmission-only tune, and headed towards town not expecting much. The difference is truly amazing. It feels like someone shaved 1000 pounds off the truck. And this is with the stock Level 1 tune. The difference from a complete stop at a stoplight is incredible. I drove around for about an hour and a half tonight going absolutely nowhere

I want to say Bill and Corey at Php have been very helpful throughout the ordering process, and I'm looking forward to my custom tunes. (Bill or Corey: I'll send my hex code tomorrow...I wrote it on your biz card and left it in the truck and I'm not going back out in the cold tonight )

I don't get on the site much, but I'll try to keep people posted when I try some of the other tunes out.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by WVxlt
My Gryphon from Php arrived today. Install was easy...hardest part was getting the stupid plastic dash piece to come off. I get squeamish putting a car stereo in, so if I can install this outside in the dark, I figure anyone can manage.

First off, truck is a 2004 5.4L Scab, about 50k miles. Bought it used in Sept. and was looking for a little more get up and go. Tonight I got everything hooked up, put it on the transmission-only tune, and headed towards town not expecting much. The difference is truly amazing. It feels like someone shaved 1000 pounds off the truck. And this is with the stock Level 1 tune. The difference from a complete stop at a stoplight is incredible. I drove around for about an hour and a half tonight going absolutely nowhere

I want to say Bill and Corey at Php have been very helpful throughout the ordering process, and I'm looking forward to my custom tunes. (Bill or Corey: I'll send my hex code tomorrow...I wrote it on your biz card and left it in the truck and I'm not going back out in the cold tonight )

I don't get on the site much, but I'll try to keep people posted when I try some of the other tunes out.
If you got that much excitement out of Level 1, I don't won't to be around when you try Level 3!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Haha, I never thought I'd feel so burdened by having 3/4 of a tank of gas...Next fill up I'll be trying it out.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:29 AM
what do u mean??? burdened??

what do u think it would do for my 4.6? i been wanting the same thing u did ... up and go ha

Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by cmolina07
what do u mean??? burdened??

what do u think it would do for my 4.6? i been wanting the same thing u did ... up and go ha
The Level 3 tune requires a minimum of 91 octane to prevent detonation from the aggressive timing.

I have a 4.6 as well. I ordered an Evo yesterday and should be here by noon today. I'll let you know what it is like. The canned tunes on the Gryphon an Evolution are identical.

Until then, you can check out this thread for some opinions on the difference it will make on a 4.6: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...ners-4-6l.html

Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Haha, I never thought I'd feel so burdened by having 3/4 of a tank of gas...Next fill up I'll be trying it out.
You might want to try the Level 2 tune. It gives you better power in the low speed ranges and is set up for 87 octane. You don't have to tow to use it. In fact, until I got Bill's custom tunes, that was the only tune I used.

I've found the easiest way to get the plastic panel off is to just stick my finger in the AC duct hole there and pull.

- Jack

Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
You might want to try the Level 2 tune. It gives you better power in the low speed ranges and is set up for 87 octane. You don't have to tow to use it. In fact, until I got Bill's custom tunes, that was the only tune I used.

I've found the easiest way to get the plastic panel off is to just stick my finger in the AC duct hole there and pull.

- Jack
That's why I love this forum...all my questions answered before I have time to ask them. I think I'll be trying out Level 2 tonight then.

And to the earlier poster...yeah, all I meant was I have 87 in it right now and I need to get some higher octane. Tuner itself is great.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
That's why I love this forum...all my questions answered before I have time to ask them. I think I'll be trying out Level 2 tonight then.

And to the earlier poster...yeah, all I meant was I have 87 in it right now and I need to get some higher octane. Tuner itself is great.
Glad I was helpful! Welcome to our happy tribe.

I've never felt the need to use the higher octane tune. Maybe it's because I don't race my truck. But, I do tow with it and I like to pass slow moving traffic when I'm towing without sweating over whether or not I'm going to make it. The canned Level 2 tow tune improved my passing response and the custom tow tune is even better. And, everything was better with both those tunes even when I wasn't towing.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Gryphon came today!