Finally Made It To The Dyno!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally Made It To The Dyno!!!!!

Finally made it to the Dyno today! :thumbup: My Xmas present to myself. I went to a Dynojet R&D facility and delt with some guys that have done alot of work with both Mike (Troyer) and Justin (VMP). I will have the sheets up tomorrow or friday as none of the planet is compatible with my MAC. Here is a vid of one of the runs and the damn sensor probe blew out the back. I was laughing my a** off! Here is one vid, and the sheets will be forthcoming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVKaUeWBmXs

Anyways, it was pretty cool and I did find out some great info. Anyone with a CAI on w/o a tune beware! You are running super lean. My AFE was even worse.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
whats the numbers?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dyno Dan?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 PM
how do you fix the problem of running lean??

Old 12-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Same facility, different cohort. Small world I guess. Numbers are coming....don't remember the exacts and don't want to guess.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by ugacoop16
how do you fix the problem of running lean??
Well, the computer does to a point as it "learns", but if the tune is dead on, there wont be any A/F correction by the CPU. My tune from Justin on the initiall run showed a 1% correction. After I flashed it back to stock to compare the two, we can safely say that my truck was insanely lean and the CPU was having to do major corrections. Was then advised "not to run the truck w/o the tne due to the AFE increased air intake and the fact that we run lean from the factory. I then put the VMP tune back in and saw that there was still a large correction being made so the truck must have learned to get to where it was in the start, but Justin had done an amazing job w/o dynoing the truck. I have sent the data to Justin and it should come back dead on.

Last edited by Drkharbinger; 12-24-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Drkharbinger
Well, the computer does to a point as it "learns", but if the tune is dead on, there wont be any A/F correction by the CPU. My tune from Justin on the initiall run showed a 1% correction. After I flashed it back to stock to compare the two, we can safely say that my truck was insanely lean and the CPU was having to do major corrections. Was then advised "not to run the truck w/o the tne due to the AFE increased air intake and the fact that we run lean from the factory. I then put the VMP tune back in and saw that there was still a large correction being made so the truck must have learned to get to where it was in the start, but Justin had done an amazing job w/o dynoing the truck. I have sent the data to Justin and it should come back dead on.
I hear ya man...I have a Airraid intake and a hypertech programmer and I have no idea if im running lean since im using a canned tune...I wonder if I should get it check out.....

Old 12-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Well, when I first put my AFE on, it sounded like a friggin jet engine it roared so loud, so I knew a tune was going to be needed.

The tune that I got from Justin was awesome and was still a little off but he will adjust it since he can see the adjustment that it needs to be perfect. I would hit up the dyno if you get a chance. A real eye opener in two ways. When we flashed it to stock, the guys wouldn't even finish the run because it was so lean. Then, when we flashed it back, we saw that it was still lean because the CPU had done some adjusting with the VMP tune.

Last edited by Drkharbinger; 12-24-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 PM
I wish their was a way that I could tune it at the dyno or help changing some settings on my hypertech to help running lean....How much did the dyno cost??

Old 12-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, was there for 2.5 hrs and we did like 12 or so runs and it was 300. I was collecting a ton of data to send to Mike at Troyer. Typically, you only need 1-3 runs and 1hr max. One or two runs to get your base line and then another when it is warmed up. $100 was their price for the basic runs and the info.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I here ya... I might have to do that sometime...It would be very interesting to see how my trucks running.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you're running lean won't the truck run hotter? Does the tuner you're using monitor cylinder head temp? If you could get a baseline or average of what stock head temp is and see where yours is at from there.

Can anyone provide a link to the average stock readings like cylinder head temp, transmission, coolant, oil?

Old 12-25-2008, 07:17 AM
dark harbinger,correct me if i am wrong, but was that tailpipe probe how they were getting air -fuel numbers?for $300 thay should have done it the CORRECT way and pulled the 2nd o2 sensor and retrieved the air fuel #'s that way

this goes to show , for spending $35k plus on a truck and running cai on stock tune is like playing russian roulette...

Old 12-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do not let your self think the truck will richen its self up. that is not safe at all. get a tune.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
dark harbinger,correct me if i am wrong, but was that tailpipe probe how they were getting air -fuel numbers?for $300 thay should have done it the CORRECT way and pulled the 2nd o2 sensor and retrieved the air fuel #'s that way

That is very correct, but unfortunately with the flowmasters and their restrictive nature the concern was getting a overheat/CAT code. So, the probe was the dynojet 4ft sensor.

this goes to show , for spending $35k plus on a truck and running cai on stock tune is like playing russian roulette...
Very ture...it also shows that all of the guys writing these tunes are awesome, but there is no substitute for direct dyno data.

Originally Posted by built54
do not let your self think the truck will richen its self up. that is not safe at all. get a tune.
I have a tune that corrected most of the issue and have sent the data to Justin to have it perfected the rest of the way. And as for the CPU not making corrections?? It does exactly that, it just cannot compensate for such LARGE differences. Take the AF1 3.5" for example. Everyone says you have to have a tune or it will throw a CEL. Well, imagine how lean that really must run and how lean everyone is running with CAI's and no tune.

Quick Reply: Finally Made It To The Dyno!!!!!