Almost have this edge figured out

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost have this edge figured out

So I think I finally figured out how to install edge and get all factory settings like gear ratio tire size etc... I took out today downloaded updates then re-installed this time i just chose level 2 when asked to do custom settings i said no then let pcm update and prog. was complete after that i went back again and chose level 2 this time i chose yes to do custom settings first thing i did was load previous settings then went through everything and it was all right gear ratio tire size etc... spedo matches edge and gps KNOW the only problem i have is when i wot from a stop and trans gets ready to shift it seems like im either rev limiting or transmission is lost not sure after that shifts are firm and sweet what should i check rev limit is 4975 any suggestions what are some of you'lls settings on ok this is already to long so ill stop thanks again

Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CANTUKID
So I think I finally figured out how to install edge and get all factory settings like gear ratio tire size etc... I took out today downloaded updates then re-installed this time i just chose level 2 when asked to do custom settings i said no then let pcm update and prog. was complete after that i went back again and chose level 2 this time i chose yes to do custom settings first thing i did was load previous settings then went through everything and it was all right gear ratio tire size etc... spedo matches edge and gps KNOW the only problem i have is when i wot from a stop and trans gets ready to shift it seems like im either rev limiting or transmission is lost not sure after that shifts are firm and sweet what should i check rev limit is 4975 any suggestions what are some of you'lls settings on ok this is already to long so ill stop thanks again
I think your rev limit is too low. It needs to be 300-400 rpm higher than your WOT shift points. The shift is "commanded" at the shift point, but it doesn't happen instantly and if you hit the rev limit, things go wrong.

I've set my rev limit at 5400, because I read, somewhere on these forums, a post by Mike Troyer that said the torque converter starts to "balloon" above that speed. And, my WOT shifts are all at or below 5000.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

- Jack

Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Jack is correct. The rev limiter is there to save your engine if the tranny blows. It won't allow the engine to over rev and destroy itself. But, there is a split second during the shift that it's as if the tranny is in neutral and it revs beyond the shift point. So, you have to give it "space" of 400 rpms. So, if your highest shift point is at 5000, then set the rev limiter at 5400. One other thing, the 3-4 shift should be kept in the 4800 range as that is a weak point in these trannys.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Jack is correct. The rev limiter is there to save your engine if the tranny blows. It won't allow the engine to over rev and destroy itself. But, there is a split second during the shift that it's as if the tranny is in neutral and it revs beyond the shift point. So, you have to give it "space" of 400 rpms. So, if your highest shift point is at 5000, then set the rev limiter at 5400. One other thing, the 3-4 shift should be kept in the 4800 range as that is a weak point in these trannys.
Nice answer Jim - And, I think I learned something again! I'd forgotten about the need to reduce the 3-4 shift (another "senior moment" I suppose), so it was good you brought that point up too.

- Jack

Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys i'm gonna try that sometime today see what happens

Quick Reply: Almost have this edge figured out