Edge - do I need custom program?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge - do I need custom program?

About a year ago I bought an Edge Evolution. I ran it for a while on the #2 (towing) setting. Couple of months ago I decided to go for the gusto and bumped up to the performance level.

This has made the truck much more fun to drive and really woke up that sleepy 5.4. Now I keep reading all about programmers making the truck run lean. I read about custom programs??

In addition to the Edge I added a Volant CAI and cat bacl Magnaflow duals. Do I need a custom program? Who does them? Cost?

Last edited by Smokin Lariat; 01-22-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
In addition to the Edge I added a Volant CAI and cat bacl Magnaflow duals. Do I need a custom program? Who does them? Cost?
You could definitely run into a lean condition with the CAI, and full dual exhaust generally requires custom tuning. Not to peddle our own wares, but if you want your Evo custom tuned, Bill and I will become your new best friends... but if you're in the market for a completely new programmer, I've heard great things about VMP and Troyer Performance!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
You could definitely run into a lean condition with the CAI, and full dual exhaust generally requires custom tuning. Not to peddle our own wares, but if you want your Evo custom tuned, Bill and I will become your new best friends... but if you're in the market for a completely new programmer, I've heard great things about VMP and Troyer Performance!
WOW, now that is truly stand up of a company that recomends another without some sort of bashing, Thats why my vote goes to power hungry performance! It's hard to find good honest people these days.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Your Edge is fine with the canned tunes and just the exhaust since you did not mess with the cats. Where you might have a lean condition is running a CAI with the Edge, as it is programmed for the stock intake. Additionally, you really don't get full benefit from the extra air unless you have custom tunes. Contact PHP, convert it to the Gryphon for a small fee and get some custom tunes. You will be pleased you did. They are worth it just for the improved downshifting, not to mention more power and tuned just for your set up.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
WOW, now that is truly stand up of a company that recomends another without some sort of bashing, Thats why my vote goes to power hungry performance! It's hard to find good honest people these days.
Thanks, ScrewMe (that sounds weird when you say it out loud, doesn't it? )! Life is too short to be a crappy person, and it's far nicer when everyone plays nicely together.

Bill and I are probably the worst salespeople in history. Customers who have talked to us on the phone since we changed the pricing structure on the Gryphon would probably jump up and tell you that we often talk them OUT of purchasing any tunes they don't need. We'll steer them towards the canned tunes when possible and only sell them one or two tunes instead of three when we can. We're certainly not getting the Salesperson of the Year Award any time soon, that's for sure!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
I've been happy with the Edge (did they morph into the Gryphon?). The truck isjust outa the shop from a Christmas day fender bender so $$$ probably would not let me look at a new programmer (is there a reason I should? Something wrong with the Edge?).

Maybe we can take this offline and start to work on it. You can PM me or email. Appreciate the help and suggestions.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
I've been happy with the Edge (did they morph into the Gryphon?). The truck isjust outa the shop from a Christmas day fender bender so $$$ probably would not let me look at a new programmer (is there a reason I should? Something wrong with the Edge?).

Maybe we can take this offline and start to work on it. You can PM me or email. Appreciate the help and suggestions.
Unless something happened to it in the wreck, your Evo should be fine! To clarify things, we sell the Gryphon Programmer, which uses Edge's hardware and can be custom tuned (the Evo can't due to CARB certification). We also offer upgrades for customers with Evos who want/need custom tunes. If you didn't have any issues with your Evo before the accident, you shouldn't have any issues now! Now look at how much money I just saved you!

If there ARE any other issues that I missed in your post, please feel free to let me know, and we'll see what we can do!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm not having issues with the Edge - either before or after the wreck. The wreck has nothing to do with this except for its impact on my wallet. My question was prompted simply by all I've read here of people saying the combination of a programmer, changed exhaust and CAI can cause these 5.4s to run lean and to some extent worsen the carbon buildup that then makes the removal of spark plugs potentially worse.

I've added the Edge, a Volant CAI and cat back duals. I'm very pleased with the stock tunes of the Edge. I just don't want to damage my engine - thus my question, do I need custom tunes?

I looked at your website and the upgrade to a Gryphon is certainly affordable as are the custom tunes (assuming I read correctly). But my original question stands, do I NEED custom tunes? Maybe better stated as Would I benefit from custom tunes?

And while I'm at it, if I were to opt to upgrade to a Gryphon - do I need to return the truck to 'normal' before I send you my Evo???

Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Former Sponsor
Sorry... wasn't paying attention to the very first post in the thread. DUH! Yes, most trucks with a CAI will run lean, and a programmer will only exacerbate the problem. I can't say if your truck is running lean at the moment because if I do, ya just know that your particular combination of mods, altitude, or the alignment of the planets will not be causing a lean condition on YOUR particular truck.

Off the record, I would say that your truck probably IS running lean -- although I'm quite sure the alignment of the planets isn't causing it --even if it's not setting codes and that yes, you would benefit from custom tunes. The Evo is a great programmer, but it was designed for stock trucks.

(Anyone can check out information about the upgrade HERE if you would like more information on the upgrade process!)

And yes, PROGRAM YOUR TRUCK BACK TO STOCK BEFORE SENDING IT OFF! Drop me an e-mail if you have any questions!

Quick Reply: Edge - do I need custom program?