Few edge questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few edge questions

I'm looking at the edge evo units and have a few questions, I have searched and cant see the answers, sorry if they seem stupid.

1) Does the unit have to be left plugged in? can the PCM be flashed and then the unit unplugged and drive with the diff tune? Only the truck attracts enough attention as it is over here and don't want a controller sitting there when its parked up

2) Basic fuel is 95 ron (octane) and super anywhere from 98 (shell) to 102 (BP) at the pumps. is there anypoint me having anything but the performance tune??

3) do you know any companies that ship to the UK, Worth a try

Kinda 4)Or am i better just getting a custom tune?

Last edited by UKSteveF150; 01-27-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
custom tune is what you need. You'd be far happier.

I run a custom tuned Gryphon in my truck. Couldn't be happier. Their customer service is what won me. I did make a call to all major tuners from this site.

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services139.com/php/

Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Check out Power Hungry Performance, they do custom tuning for the Gryphon (Edge, with different case, the ability to be custom tuned, and other things).
No, you do not have to leave it plugged in.
Performance tune seems to be all you would need but I am no expert.
I'm sure you can find someone to mail it to you.
You won't be disappointed with custom tunes.
Talk to the guys at PHP and see what they say. They have a forum on their website too, phptune.com. Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
I think you've gotten all the answers you need, except I DO know that PHP ships Gryphons into Canada, so I don't see why they would balk at shipping one to the UK. I'll probably cost a bit, but that's just the way things are.

If your octane rating is 95 RON, it's probably equivalent to 90-91 octane gas here, since we measure octane differently.

- Jack

Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
If your octane rating is 95 RON, it's probably equivalent to 90-91 octane gas here, since we measure octane differently.

- Jack
Are you sure ?? I was under the impression RON simply was a different name, same octane rating ????

Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Are you sure ?? I was under the impression RON simply was a different name, same octane rating ????
Nope - RON stands for "Research Octane Number". Here in the States we measure octane with the formula (R + M)/2, where the "M" stands for Motor Octane Number" - which is a test of fuel detonation properties under load.

The MON value will be quite a bit lower than the RON value - around 8 points I think.

- Jack

Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Nope - RON stands for "Research Octane Number". Here in the States we measure octane with the formula (R + M)/2, where the "M" stands for Motor Octane Number" - which is a test of fuel detonation properties under load.

The MON value will be quite a bit lower than the RON value - around 8 points I think.

- Jack
No kiddin ? I didn't know that. Thanks a lot Jack. Learn something new everyday !
- James

Old 01-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor
I think you've gotten all the answers you need, except I DO know that PHP ships Gryphons into Canada, so I don't see why they would balk at shipping one to the UK. I'll probably cost a bit, but that's just the way things are.

- Jack
Hey steve-b,

Just checked with Bill to make sure he could take care of you before I posted. NO PROBLEM! I was reading your post to him about RON, and he took it upon himself to educate me about research octane and research + method octane and the device they use for research octane.

(...gee, thanks...) Actually, it was pretty cool to find out how it works.

Anyway, as long as we could get you to pay in U.S. Dollars (and you promise to take some pictures for us since everything is on the other side of the dash!), we can hook you up with a custom-tuned Gryphon. Since everything is reversed, the pod won't work in your vehicle (we'll take it off the final cost), but we can send you photos of what we do in our Expy to mount the programmer.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
...take some pictures for us since everything is on the other side of the dash!,... Since everything is reversed, the pod won't work in your vehicle (we'll take it off the final cost)...

Just an thought. Doesn't the UK have LH drive vehicles imported and couldn't this be one of them? I was not aware that Ford had RH drive F-150s. I could be totally wrong but just and idear, lol.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Former Sponsor
I don't have a clue about the F-150! (Don't go there -- it's too easy.) I know that Ford sells a RHD 7.3L, so I imagine they'd also have a RHD F-150. Steve-b, if it's LHD vehicle, the pod will fit just fine.

Last edited by Groovy Chick; 01-28-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM
yeah its a LHD import.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor
I'm glad the pod will work but I'm sad 'cause the pictures would've been cool.

Cool beans, steve-b. Give us a shout if or when we can help!

Quick Reply: Few edge questions