Which Tuner to get...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Would his custom tune work on your truck? I think you will have to have the same HEX code for it to even recognize your truck. That's one of the draw backs to the Xcal devices. You have to get any used one reprogrammed.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume his tune may work on my truck...but then again im not sure i would want to risk that. HEX code? How do I even start to look for that? And I have to get it reprogrammed no matter what? I cant just get tunes from VMP and have them overwrite the troyer tunes and be done with it, if it was unlocked?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ranorris2
I assume his tune may work on my truck...but then again im not sure i would want to risk that. HEX code? How do I even start to look for that? And I have to get it reprogrammed no matter what? I cant just get tunes from VMP and have them overwrite the troyer tunes and be done with it, if it was unlocked?
You need to call Justin at VMP if that is who you want to tune it. He will have to unlock your device and when you plug it in, it will then read your HEX code. You tell him wjhat that is and what mods you have or are getting and he will send you some new tunes. Same thing Troyer would do.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ranorris2
You will have to get troyer or VMP to write tunes for your strategy code. That's the same as unlocking. Plug in the XCal2 and when it lists the options select read strategy code and then give that code to either tuners.

They will email the new tunes, you load them on the XCal2 via free software from SCT and a USB A to B cable. That's how it's done with the XCal3; I'm assuming it's the same.

Last edited by ParkM; 02-13-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Tuner to get...