gryphon trouble code question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gryphon trouble code question

can I hook up my gryphon from my 2008 f150 to my friends 2005 f150 to check his trouble codes?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chris3677
can I hook up my gryphon from my 2008 f150 to my friends 2005 f150 to check his trouble codes?
It's possible, yes. You want to make sure your truck has been returned to stock and the Gryphon will have to have the calibration in it for the 2008 vehicle. If you have custom tunes, I suspect that it will not contain the calibration. If you have the canned tunes and your unit has a late update, then it may have the calibration.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
It's possible, yes. You want to make sure your truck has been returned to stock and the Gryphon will have to have the calibration in it for the 2008 vehicle. If you have custom tunes, I suspect that it will not contain the calibration. If you have the canned tunes and your unit has a late update, then it may have the calibration.
Good one BJ, return the truck to stock to check trouble codes?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
Good one BJ, return the truck to stock to check trouble codes?
Would he not need to return his to stock before hooking up to another truck? I was under the impression that you did. Regardless, it would be safer.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Would he not need to return his to stock before hooking up to another truck? I was under the impression that you did. Regardless, it would be safer.
You're right on this, Bluejay. I suspect i.ride.suzuki misread your post and thought it was going to be used on Chris' truck.

I think though, it's worth a shot and can't hurt anything to try. Once the unit has "deprogrammed" its owner's truck to Level 0, I think it can be plugged in to any other truck holding a stock tune. I believe it probably would NOT program that foreign truck to any new level, since the HEX codes for the tunes wouldn't match, but I don't see why the unit couldn't be used to scan DTCs. I'm pretty sure Bill has made sure that any Gryphon sold in the last year can talk to 2008 PCMs.

- Jack

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
If I remember correctly, the device can not read another HEX code if it has one already in it. Plus, the unit has to recognize the HEX code on the 2008 before it can start reading any codes. Jack, I think we are saying the same thing. The main question I have, assuming I am correct so far, is if the unit has custom programs in it, does it still have the ability to read HEX codes other than that code of the vehicle it was programmed for.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM
So i am assuming that I can't retrieve my friends DTC's from his truck? Anyhow guys, thanks for the quick replies. Now on to the dealership so they can fix the problem of my 08 slipping a couple feet down my driveway while its parked!!!

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by chris3677
So i am assuming that I can't retrieve my friends DTC's from his truck? Anyhow guys, thanks for the quick replies. Now on to the dealership so they can fix the problem of my 08 slipping a couple feet down my driveway while its parked!!!
No, I think you cannot use your Gryphon to program your friend's truck. If you had "canned" tunes in it, then, I think you could "deprogram" your truck to Level 0, give the unit to your friend, and I bet he could program his truck to any of the canned levels.

I'm certain the HEX problem only really comes up when trying to apply a custom tune, and, whenever there's a new PCM flash that changes the HEX code to something that's not in the Gryphon's table of "recognized" codes.

As I said though, it won't hurt anything to try. Return your truck to Level 0 and then connect the Gryphon to your friend's truck's OBDII port with the ignition ON. It will either recognize the PCM or it won't. If it does, select the diagnostics menu and see if you can retrieve the DTCs.

- Jack

Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Jack, I think the unit has to recognize the Hex code in the truck first thing, before you can even get to the menu. What I was saying is that if it's a unit that has not been updated past the date of build for the newer truck, then it will just sit there as it cannot recognize the HEX. That HEX will not be in it's list. I amy be wrong tho, but that is what I recall and think.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Jack, I think the unit has to recognize the Hex code in the truck first thing, before you can even get to the menu. What I was saying is that if it's a unit that has not been updated past the date of build for the newer truck, then it will just sit there as it cannot recognize the HEX. That HEX will not be in it's list. I amy be wrong tho, but that is what I recall and think.
Yea, Jim - we ARE saying the same thing. Since he has a Gryphon, and I know Bill updates the firmware to the latest and greatest before shipping it out, I imagine it MIGHT have that HEX in its tables.

But, duh! I just went back and reread Chris' post. He has the 2008 truck. The friend's truck he wants to temporarily use the Gryphon in is an old, 2005 model! So, his Gryphon is clearly set up for trucks up to 2008 and should have no trouble talking to a 2005.

(Sometimes I amaze myself with how easily I miss things. These "senior moments" seem to come more and more frequently!) :o

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 02-10-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Had to add something about being dumb!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Yea, Jim - we ARE saying the same thing. Since he has a Gryphon, and I know Bill updates the firmware to the latest and greatest before shipping it out, I imagine it MIGHT have that HEX in its tables.

But, duh! I just went back and reread Chris' post. He has the 2008 truck. The friend's truck he wants to temporarily use the Gryphon in is an old, 2005 model! So, his Gryphon is clearly set up for trucks up to 2008 and should have no trouble talking to a 2005.

- Jack
Dadgum, I probably led you astray, as I had them reversed.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Still, if he has a custom tune written by Bill, wouldn't it just recognize the HEX code of his truck?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Not as I understand it, as long as both trucks are at Level 0. I could be wrong here, which is why I hope Chris will try it and report back to us. I keep trying to learn as much about the Gryphon, and our trucks, as I can. This is one reason I keep "haunting" (lurking on?) these forums.

- Jack

Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Not as I understand it, as long as both trucks are at Level 0. I could be wrong here, which is why I hope Chris will try it and report back to us. I keep trying to learn as much about the Gryphon, and our trucks, as I can. This is one reason I keep "haunting" (lurking on?) these forums.

- Jack
Ok, then I may be wrong. I thought that when Bill wrote a custom program, it would only be good for any truck with that particular HEX, as he was writing it for that one truck. I thought the file that contained all the various calibrations would be removed.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I'll be interested in the REAL answer! Your thought sounds plausible too.

- Jack

Quick Reply: gryphon trouble code question